My first Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrootStik

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm currently in the process of getting my first navara.
I have a 2001 patrol at the moment but want a dual cab.

What should I be looking at in the Navaras?
And what are the best models to get?

I'm asking this because once I bought my patrol I learnt about a lot of problems once I bought it.

I am probably looking at spending up to 40k I want something reasonably new.
Mainly beach work will be done in it, but am also planning a trip though the middle of Aus in the next couple of years.
So pretty much want something that is tough, and reliable.
There are so many option from the RX to the STX 500.
Not sure what best suits though

Welcome to the forum.

For beach work (exclusively) you'll want less weight, larger tyres, decent suspension lift, maybe a body lift, onboard compressor and roof bars to carry the high lift jack, shovel and maxtraxx that will help you get out of trouble. Recovery points on all 4 corners and a poop-scooper in the tub if you're ever heading near Bondi should just about round it out.

Which model? Who cares, a poop scooper will fit in all of them, even the D22. D40 is more comfortable and more powerful with more features.

40 k
I would buy a new d22 and throw 12k straight into mods
Lift, tyres, canopy, winch
great start with a strong uncomplicated ute
the 22 is a little bit 'agricultural' and the milk crate seats are terrible but they have very few problems and are great offroad
The 40 is bigger, has more power, but also has more electrickery to fail and way too many buttons to break
the v6 d40 .mmm , nice ute

Cheers

Last edited:
In the new models D40 it goes

RX: Base model
ST: Middle Range
ST-X:V6 engine also Has a few chrome bits and electronic bits over the ST
ST-X 550: The whole lot, has pretty much everything you could want apart from aftermarket gear.

I went for the ST purely because it has most of everything you would need, I didn't mind not having the Electric folding mirrors, LED dash or chrome mirrors etc. Plus I thought 140km would be enough for a while instead of the V6's 170kw.

Ok so after more research i think I'm going to go with the ST.
Ive read a lot of bad things about the V6 and the 7 speed gear box. I know don't believe everything you read, but everywhere says its a rubbish gear box for heavy 4x4 work.

With the 2.5 litre TD which is the better gearbox?the 4 or 5 speed? I think the newer models have the 5 speed? Correct me if I'm wrong.

From looking i should be able to pick up a brand new 2013 ST for about 40-45k
Is there any know problems or must do upgrades for performance or maintenance on the ST?

thanks guys

All ordered and pretty stoked.
Navara ST D40 Series 7 in Silver on it's way!
The series 7 comes with the fruit the STX comes with in the car. Like the sat nav and so on.

Getting the suspension done before delivery and a few other bits and pieces.

What bars does everyone have on their Navs? Im looking at the opposite lock Xrock bar. I think it looks sweet!

I have ARB on mine.
Check with your insurance about xrox I've heard they don't like them...

I don't exactly understand this? What would be the issue?
A bit of a mix here. Im thinking of a smaller type of bar thats all.

I think some of the bigger bars look way to big for the Nav, but they look good on something like a Patrol.

So many things to weigh u thats for sure.

What other aftermarket parts should i look at getting asap?

Hey all

I'm currently in the process of getting my first navara.
I have a 2001 patrol at the moment but want a dual cab.

What should I be looking at in the Navaras?
And what are the best models to get?

I'm asking this because once I bought my patrol I learnt about a lot of problems once I bought it.

G,day,
I did the same exercise as you recently, and due to the availability of cheap RX deals at the moment (and the fact that vinyl flooring is way easier to clean sand off than carpet) I bought a NEW RX with a lift and extra goodies for well under your $40K budget.
The major issue to deal with immediately is ground clearance at front - 210mm under the sump in Thai built cars. I did a 50mm lift which should be enough for beach duties. Next tyre change I will go 265/75 R16 to gain more ground clearance and footprint in sand.
If you change wheels be aware that offsets vary between models - mine is 45mm - others are 20mm etc.

Good hunting!

Attachments

• Choppa.jpg
    Choppa.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back