Navara d40 off road ability

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm no mehanic. But i would think a transfer case or a diff being rooted would give some serious symptoms under normal driving condition also.

I do remember many threads on here about rooted clutches in the navaras. They are notoriously piss weak.

Jockyboy recently had the same problem you described up at Lancelin on a club trip we did. I believe he ended up with a new clutch shortly after.

Might be your clutch by the sound of that, but im no expert. Might be worth taking it to a trusted mechanic to have a look for you. After what I put mine through on the weekend, I have to say im very happy with it. It kept up with moded GQ and GU's in some very steep country. The ramp over angle is the biggest problem, im always dragging its belly over thing haha. I hope its an easy fix for ya. cheers Glenn

I have 2" toughdog under mine, but in real life its more like 30-40mm of lift

so who is up for a day trip somewhere i don't no anyone from the forum i guess its time i start meeting some of you?

Problem is there is speed humps at one entry, we are going to have to go the long way around....I just don't trust the D40 to get over them.

I got an auto but I still wouldn't risk it!

Although I washed the ute today I reckoned I added atleast a 1 inch lift by getting rid of all the dirt and cow shit that was weighing it down.

Try sticking it in 4th gear at 30 odd kmh and give it a boot full to check clutch slip?

My best guess is that you were inn 4high and riding the clutch to keep the power up/speed down, and that might have frazzled it.

But i'm a sparky, don't know much about engines

Old.Tony I was looking at the fuse box sticker on my 08 ST-X the other day and there was a place for a "RR Diff lock". Maybe thats where the idea came from, might be an over seas model option.
Glenn.

this is what happens to me watch the whole thing and it pisses me off . note its not me i just found this clip on youtube

[yt]/watch?v=qNGChDNgKTA[/yt]

also is this true did they make the d40 better off road???

[yt]/watch?v=6b2z-OoEIlQ[/yt]

its true all got increases height, entry and departure angle....

the achilles heel is the fact that the ramp over angle reduced because of the longer wheel base compared to the d22

looks like the guy with the toyota has to step in...

a KEY point everyone seemed to miss here was when nav dog said 'when i went to take off after i smelt the clutch, the pedal was sticking to the floor'... THE CLUTCH PEDAL SHOULD NOT STICK TO THE FLOOR!!!!

go see nissan and tell them that, also always follow the shifting sequence for high to low as these newer cars require it done right and have a slight 'lag' sometimes for engaging low range.

this is what happens to me watch the whole thing and it pisses me off . note its not me i just found this clip on youtube

[yt]/watch?v=qNGChDNgKTA[/yt]

Thats normal IFS compared to solid axle stuff.
There is a few things to remember about trying to compare the two 4wds on that hill,,,,, tyre size, clearance both under the chassis and from the tyres, and the biggest reason which i have already mentioned, the solid axle can just flex so much better which decreases the chance of getting crossed locked so easy like the Nav did.

If you want to try and stop that, the only way is to fit lockers. If you want it to flex better, a good lift and change control arms to give some more travel, and disconnect the sway bars will help allot, BUT it will never be a solid axle and will never behave like one.

like i said its kinda hard to go off judgement of that pic.. im not going to say i no everything about 4wd coz i dont ... but she was bugged is she was going to go over that ditch on that rocky hill maybe some people would like to go 4wd soon for a day trip coz it would be good to go with other navaras .

+1 for me too...!

Back