New Vehicle Pick up Checklist

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fez

I am picking up a new STX TD Auto as soon as I get home and am putting together a bit of a checklist to go through before I sign the papers and drive out. I have a few things on it but since I have never bought a new car before I thought I would ask you guys for some advice. Things that you have checked and things you wish you had of checked!
Told them to shove thier paint/interior protection, window tint package!

Engine noise/vibration
Handbrake
Warranty is in order (extended)
Kms - no more than about 40?
Oil leaks
Oil levels
Services quotes
Check vin number and chassis number corresponds
Doors open shut properly
Bonnet catch recall has been addressed
Paint
Dents
Scratches
Panels line up
All lights work
Stereo works
Windows work
Upholstery

Have probably missed something obvious no doubt.
I am on night shift bored shitless and can't wait to get home in two weeks and pick up the new toy!!

PS does anyone know if I can change my username, I only made it up because I needed to sign in to keep reading when I was researching!

Cheers

Fez

my guess is that most things will be in order at time of pick up, as per your list above.

you will need to bring the car back after the first 1000km for the dealer to supposedly go over the vehicle, and that will have given you a good chance to go over the car a couple of times at home, and you can bring any issues up with the service department at the 1000km check over/service.

Yeah mate as Woody said, all that stuff should be done and if it is not it will be fixed up at the 1000km service. A good dealer should have checked it al anyway.

The only real thing I would be checking is for any panel damage or scracthes, they will be hard to prove you didn't do them if you drive it away.

I could be wrong but I think they may have fixed the bonnet by the 2010 models so it may not need to be addressed, worth asking about though.

My dealer had his own checklist and we both went over the car during the handover process. All of the extras were checked off, the car was examined inside and out - not an exhaustive examination, but we went over every external panel, every seat, every control. He lifted the bonnet and pointed out the things that I needed to be aware of.

I'd only ever bought second hand cars before too, this was my first new car and I was pleasantly surprised.

The dealer really doesn't have a lot to worry about. They're handing over a brand new vehicle that hasn't had some yahoo bashing it around in a paddock trying to play pinball among the trees. It ought to be in good nick!

Mine had 33km on it when I got it - but I had a car sound place install my in-car navigation/camera system and I had a Hayman Reese hitch installed instead of the Nissan one.

I think you'll be fine, I didn't bother with extended warranty but as the salesman said, I've plenty of time to reconsider that.

I'd check as much as you can, Mine was delivered with dents, steering wheel about 10 degrees off centre, and a gearbox that jumped out of 5th gear.
The service manger found that all the faults had been noted by the bloke doing the detailing, yet it was still delivered to me, with out being fixed.

Can't say I was all that pleased with my Dealers customer service.

Kilometres on speedos when delivered will also vary, I've had cars delivered with as little as 7 ks on the clock and with as many as 60. I know one dealer who has to travel 11ks from his dealership to his workshop which automatically adds 22ks to any new car then if there is any add ons that they don't fit it's off to other fitting places, so as long as it's under 100 I wouldn't be too worried, I may not be entirely happy if it rocked up with 100 but some times it's unavoidable.

These days cars don't go through anywhere near the same pre delivery check list as they used to and while more parts are fitted on the production line there are still things added when they reach the country which just don't get thoroughly tested so it does pay to at least visually check as much as you can.

The one thing you need to make sure of is that every extra you have asked for is added and added to the exact wording on the receipt. Some dealers get cunning and write things like towbar fitted, but without specifically writing 3 tonne in front of it they are under no obligation to fit the heavier towbar. That sort of thing is really a lesson for before you sign but it's a common thing dealers get away with.

Like others have said most things are usually in fairly good order on the day of pick up. During your first 1000ks be judgmental and picky, write down everything you have a problem with when you take it in for the first look over (which can easily spread to 1500ks to give you a bit more time to suss things out) present them with a copy of the things you have found that you want looked at. When you go to pick the car up tick of everything from your copy of the list and be sure they are with you doing as much of the checking as you can. It's very rare they will do a road test at the first check so if one of your problems occurs when your driving be sure to drag the mechanic out on the road and show them because there is a highly probably chance they wont bother doing it themselves.

a full tank of fuel!! some dealers barely give you enough to go to the next available station. after forking out $xx,000 a $90-100 fill up is the last thing you want.

a full tank of fuel!! some dealers barely give you enough to go to the next available station. after forking out $xx,000 a $90-100 fill up is the last thing you want.

Yeah mine was nearly empty, I was a bit pissed off about that.

The dealer I eventually went through made a point of writing down tank of diesel on the sales receipt. His words were "If it doesn't say full and I'm not here at delivery it wont get a full tank. I also like to put diesel as well so that they don't put unleaded in by mistake."

Putting it in writing always pays off, of course admitting that your staff members are too stupid to tell the difference which pump to use is a bit of a worry.

Thanks guys, have added a few more things to my list. They will probably think I am a pain in the ass when I turn up with ny check sheet and a pen but I want to take the least amount of chances as I can. I have a habit of being impatient then later thinking "why didn't I do that"
If there is dents in it then I will be ropeable! I will be checking the tow bar rating (it never even crossed my mind!) I am just not very trusting when it comes to strangers especially salesmen!
I wish you could buy a vehicle and specify that it must be built on a wednesday or thursday and definately not a monday or friday!!

I doubt Nissan would supply under the 3T-rated towbar. The big difference is that the "Nissan" branded one is only affixed in one axis to the chassis. The "Hayman Reese" branded one is affixed in two axes.

If you're towing heavy, you're going to need a load leveller (or you should be, to properly balance the vehicle) and the "Nissan" branded one will not tolerate the torsion, it will bend under the heavy load.

we have now unfortunately progressed into a day and age where the mindset is quantity over quality. it's unfortunate we have specify and check the simplest of things. very few people take pride in their workmanship, by having to list and check everything we risk insulting the dealer and souring the relationship (but who cares since we are paying we can do whatever we want).

i came through with a checklist, the salesman became very sour and tried to rush me through it. i was quite prepared to walk away and he smartened up quick - that could have also backfired though as deposit is of course already taken.

Unfortunately there is not enough people who do such stringent checks when they pick up cars, but you'd have to suggest that most cars probably are delivered in good condition, given that something like a million new car have been sold already this year and if even 10% were bad the media would be having a field day.

The pre-delivery check list is by no means what it used to be but it's still your right to make that dealer step through every question or thought you may have before you hand over the cheque. His job while doing the check list is to look sullen as if you've stabbed him in the back and no longer have that amazing trust for each other than he cultivated while making the sale. A good salesman knows how to get reactions out of people as well as close the deal, a good buyer also knows how to read between the bullshit and keep some control over what happens.

If a salesman looks sullen and pissed off because you've asked him to do something. Unless you've chopped his toe off before asking the question the chances are it's an act he learned in salesman school to try and push the prospective buyer back into his way of thinking. If you deviate from his path he wants you back before you start controlling things. This sort of practice isn't just restricted to the car dealers it's how salesmen are trained, to them every buyer is a number and the minute they start getting personal things can become messy. So take your list no matter how long it is and don't hand over any money until each item on your list has been satisfied. If things aren't right, despite what some dealers say, you can still pull out of the deal on the day of sale.

Although it's more of a tip for pre-purchase it can still work on the day you pick it up and that tip is. Never go into a prospective sale with tunnel vision. What you are buying is just a car, someone else can supply a similar if not the same product to you and if the person in front of you can't supply it on your terms be prepared to walk away. The second a salesman sees your back heading towards the door he's only got one choice and that choice is to bargain otherwise you keep walking and he looses the sale to his competitor.

Couldn't agree with krafty more. They have a long list of strategies and do it all day every day. So you probably won't 'beat em' But remember you are the custome,r and if you want to spend time checking what you have just paid for, then you can. I would say mine was pretty right and the minor things i picked up over the first 1000k were very basic, like missing mudflap screw etc. and Nissan fixed'em all with no questions asked. I document everything, so my list of defects was emailed to the service department for example.

Picked her up two days ago, smallpaint chip and towbar fitted is wrong (about 15mm clearance between ball and bumper) both to be fixed at 1000k service, apart from that I am wrapped, oh, and NO dpf :)

Most dealer delivery checklist is simply wash the car and thats all.Basicly the most exspensive car wash out.

Yeah but don't they do a wonderful job of washing it. Only bettered by the job they do at service time when they squirt it with a high pressure hose and wave a rag at it as they walk past.

Yeah and his last post was only last week saying he picked up the Nav. He must have got a real lemon to be so pissed off so quickly.

If any of us were fortune tellers we'd have realised his comment in this thread on 28/07 about the dealers thoughts of him were actually the thoughts of everyone who'd crossed paths with him.

Latest posts

Back