Newbie with a D22!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thom

Reaction score
Hey All!

Recently bought my new/second hand car, 06 D22 Dual Cab Navara. I work as a photographer so the tray space is awesome for gear, not too mention I have always wanted a ute truck to get into 4WDing (taking after my Dad) and just cause there is nothing nicer than driving a tough 4WD :)

Hoping to learn some tips and beginner tracks around Victoria to go try out and learn on. Also get some help with what mods are best to go for first!

c8b11e7876db11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

Thanks

welcome to the forum mate, it depends on what you are going to be doing with the rig exactly as to which mod you will be best doing first, for 4x4ing like you say a 2 inch suspension lift wouldnt go a-stray, better tyres, turbo timer, chip, exhaust the list goes on lol

welcome to the forum mate, it depends on what you are going to be doing with the rig exactly as to which mod you will be best doing first, for 4x4ing like you say a 2 inch suspension lift wouldnt go a-stray, better tyres, turbo timer, chip, exhaust the list goes on lol

Mods would be for offroad. So first thing that I am thinking is yea, the new suspension & lift. I have some all-terrains already on her, so hoping they should cope alright for the the basic tracks ill be going to.

Very much a learner at the moment, but what is the benefit of a turbo timer?

Thanks for the tips!

Mods would be for offroad. So first thing that I am thinking is yea, the new suspension & lift. I have some all-terrains already on her, so hoping they should cope alright for the the basic tracks ill be going to.

Very much a learner at the moment, but what is the benefit of a turbo timer?

Thanks for the tips!

welcome mate.

turbo timer is there to cool down the turbo after each time you drive. after you turn your car off and take the keys out, the car will still run for the period of time you set your turbo timer to.

a few more handy mods.
bullbar
winch
driving lights
uhf

Welcome to the forum!

The turbo timer is both useful and illegal (but I've not heard of anyone copping a canary for one). The idea is to run the engine at idle for a little while after driving it so that the turbocharger can cool down.

The problem is that your turbocharger - driven by the hot exhaust - gets REALLY hot, and this heat gets in to the bearings of the turbocharger. If the turbo is given a chance to cool, there's no problem - but if not, and the engine (thus the oil flow through those bearings) is shut down when it's too hot, all that heat cooks the oil and hard deposits (varnish) form inside the bearings. This eventually destroys the bearings, the turbocharger blows apart very violently and your engine eats the little bits, usually requiring a full rebuild (pistons, valves, bore and head can all be damaged).

The turbo timer is a simple tool to relieve this.

You can avoid using a turbo timer by giving the engine a chance to cool down before you turn it off. If that's something you might forget, the turbo timer is cheap insurance.

An intercooler is also valuable if you don't have one - not only do you get a small performance and efficiency gain, but if that turbocharger lets go, it will catch nearly all of the bits that could do major damage to your motor.

welcome mate.

turbo timer is there to cool down the turbo after each time you drive. after you turn your car off and take the keys out, the car will still run for the period of time you set your turbo timer to.

a few more handy mods.
bullbar
winch
driving lights
uhf

Welcome to the forum!

The turbo timer is both useful and illegal (but I've not heard of anyone copping a canary for one). The idea is to run the engine at idle for a little while after driving it so that the turbocharger can cool down.

The problem is that your turbocharger - driven by the hot exhaust - gets REALLY hot, and this heat gets in to the bearings of the turbocharger. If the turbo is given a chance to cool, there's no problem - but if not, and the engine (thus the oil flow through those bearings) is shut down when it's too hot, all that heat cooks the oil and hard deposits (varnish) form inside the bearings. This eventually destroys the bearings, the turbocharger blows apart very violently and your engine eats the little bits, usually requiring a full rebuild (pistons, valves, bore and head can all be damaged).

The turbo timer is a simple tool to relieve this.

You can avoid using a turbo timer by giving the engine a chance to cool down before you turn it off. If that's something you might forget, the turbo timer is cheap insurance.

An intercooler is also valuable if you don't have one - not only do you get a small performance and efficiency gain, but if that turbocharger lets go, it will catch nearly all of the bits that could do major damage to your motor.

Thanks lads! Your all a wealth of information, glad I joined the forum!

I will look into the turbo timer most definitely in that case! Meantime I will run the engine a little while after? Any time frame preferable for it to cool it down enough?

In short then, it looks like there are several mods for me to start saving my pennies for! Should the Nav be good for simple tracks as it is, being pretty stock with all-terrain tyres on?

With general driving, one minute is a sufficient idle down time for the turbo. That's what i have my timer set to.

You only really need to idle the car if you've been pushing it a bit. If you pull into your suburb and gently bring the car home (no steep hills to climb) then you can pretty much shut it down with no fear. If you do need to push the car a bit - about a minute should see it right. If you really hammer it before you stop, give it two minutes.

That's a rough guide and you really can't tell properly without an EGT gauge - but at least you'll reduce the chances of something going wrong.

Anyone have a good idea of where I can buy a decent turbo timer from, that might also be able to fit it? OR just somewhere I can buy a decent timer for cheap-ish...

I am currently looking at a Bogaard Timer on fleebay for cheapish. Although it has the details as "
Bogaard Turbo Timer (hilux 3.0 CRD 2005 On) " and the seller isnt sure if it will work for a Navara D22 or not...

Arent they usually universal? This timer comes in a box that says that its for a Hilux though :/

Latest posts

Back