Nissan Service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustPez

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section but basically I had my D40 serviced roughly 1.5weeks ago by a Nissan dealer, it was a big one that included driveline oils etc. A few days later I noticed some oil spots on the concrete which I traced to some oil near the filter. I thought perhaps it was just a little bit of oil from when they swapped filters so I figured I'd check it again in a day or two. Checked it and its still leaking and I've lost maybe 1/3 of my oil in a week.

My question is so does it sound like something they've done wrong during the service? Under/over tightened filter? And if so are they responsible in fixing it and any possible damage?

Also to get it to the shop would it be fine to just top it up n drive it there or should I put it on a flat besd?

Yes they are responsible if you can prove it was their doing. Have you tried the oil filter to see if it's tight/firm? Have you definitively traced it to the oil filter? Mistakes do happen, any mechanic can make them, take it back and ask them to check what they did.

If the oil is definitely leaking it wont matter how much has gone therefore wont matter that you've topped it up (providing you use the right oil) they will be able to see a leak and diagnose what to do with it. Unless you own a flat bed the cost is not going to be worth it.

personally I would just drive it there and tell them to top the oil back up after I tightened it, probably not on tight enough I would imagine or you could attempt to take it off and inspect the O-ring for damage.

I made sure It was tight when I first noticed the oil, unfortunately the filters are in a very awkward spot but I'll get under and have a close inspection tomorrow to find exactly where its coming from. Is it possible for a filter to have a bad seal in the first place so even if tight it could leak? The service blokes weren't in when I called today and he told me to call back Monday. I've serviced with them before and both the mechanics I've spoken too are good fellas even gave me a rear bumper for the price of a carton of beer as mine had been damaged so I'll have a chat with em hopefully its just something simple and easy. Cheers for the quick reply Krafty.

Pez

Had the same done to me 10k service, over tightened the filter left. home drove from brisbane to emerald next morning went to start and the dash light come up "low oil" checked the dip stick not a drop on it, found the filter oring had split on the oil filter and pushed the oil out all under the car. Rang 'em up abused the hell out of the management department changed the filter and topped the oil. Next break took it to them made them do a oil sample and went off again. Never gone back never will either.

Took it in they said they'd heard of a bad batch of filters that came through, sorted it out for me in about 20minutes. Dunno about anyone elses experience with them but the guys at my local dealer are pretty good.

More likely a bad batch of apprentices, they never admit to their own stuff ups.

I work for nissan and I ain't heard of bad batch of filters. It was prolly left loose. Next time call em and tell to truck it. We degrease the buggery out of it after a service run and check it

they failed to do my filter up tight enough on two occasions. made them degrease and top up the oil both times. never went back after that. they are careless and useless lot.

I'll have to have a chat to some local blokes then and find out where they go as I don't like my two mechanics in town. I'd usually service it myself except the D40 Filter is in the biggest pain in the arse spot i've seen on a car, rather just pay someone than curse my way through changing it.

Let's make sure we're clear on things. It isn't "Nissan" doing the service. It's a dealer that employs mechanics at the lowest rate they can manage so they can turn the highest profit. If it were a small auto shop they'd do things differently because of the much-needed goodwill.

Some dealers hire dickhead service managers. Some service managers take time to get into their role. Some hire mechanics who may not get paid a lot but just have a knack at being right and sorting out things properly. Unfortunately when these mechanics figure out that they're not being paid anywhere near what they're worth they'll go and work for themselves and a dickhead mechanic who still hasn't learnt the difference between a socket and an ice pick will get the job.

Thankfully the Klosters mechanic that works on my car hasn't figured out he's worth more money.

Although I see Tony's point, the mechanic is at fault.

Still, I had the dealers mechanic leave four bolts out then deny he removed any bolts.
Ahem, I'm sorry, how did you access my oil filter and sump plug without removing them? (Nissan z not 4b).
So he is stupid, unreliable, and a liar and so is the dealer for backing him up.

Bumpow.......wrong answer.

No scene, just walked away n give the business to a local who deserves it.

Last edited:
From a legal viewpoint, if you're praising someone you have nothing to worry about, but if you're tearing strips off them they could sue for defamation but ONLY if the claim is false and was made to someone other than the person that was the subject of the statement (under common law, defamation claims can only be upheld if the statement that is the subject of the claim was untrue).

The introduction of the uniform defamation laws in 2005 removed the difference in treatment between slander (spoken defamation) and libel (written defamation).

In Australia, a corporation (which is not not-for-profit or unassociated with a larger corporate entity and having 10 employees or less) is unable to sue for defamation. They can sue for "injurous falsehood" which basically means if you bullshit about Nissan and it reflects poorly on their reputation, they CAN sue - but if you tell the truth and are accurate in that telling, go right ahead.

That's why I was drawing attention to the specific. It wasn't Nissan that performed the service - it was a dealer of Nissan. Name and shame the dealers all you like, but be absolutely certain that you are accurate in your information - and don't call the dealer "Nissan".

That said, it sometimes IS Nissan that is the cause of the issue. As an example, the poor gearbox control in the STX550 - Nissan themselves state "it's working as intended" when it's not working as it ought (and therein lies the difference, technically bullshitty as it appears to be), and they have no publicly stated intention of doing anything to fix it.

Siringo's 4LO experience in 4th gear is a similar thing. "Working as intended" isn't right - his car shouldn't be doing stupid things like the massive fuel rail pressure variations simply because he's in 4th gear in 4LO.

If you can truthfully say that a corporate has done wrong then feel free to say it. The 2005 Act allows the truth as an unqualified defence in any action the corporate might take - so if Nissan say to you that "you can't say we're doing the wrong thing by not fixing x or y that actually ought to be fixed" then all you need to do is show the documentation that such was said and Nissan can't act.

I wonder if that's why they're reluctant to put things in writing? Any large corporate ought to be, I guess!

They weren't wrong. Quite a few V9Xs went back in for the replacement EGR valve. Some had their EGR valve replaced with ones taken from showroom vehicles - while that might be a dealer thing, the dealers might have been told by Nissan to do it too.

Just pez I take my truck to David at Roadside auto care in Maroochydore, costs a little more but he and his boys always check things out thoroughly.

I disagree Old Tony. If you set up a nationwide franchise to sell and service your product with set policies and procedures and advertise yourself as a brand specific expert, with brand specific expertly trained technicians & mechanics offering only your genuine parts and service practices at the exclaimed set rate. insisting that customers utilise there expert services to not risk and maintain the warranty. And profiting from it I might add.
I think they have full responsability to ensure the franchisees are acting profesionaly and providing services as advertised. Particularly if its a parts issue, tecnicians training issue, supervision issue or quality controle issue.
And as they set the price and the standard, the argument on employees pay verses quality is errelivant. Most people who utilise these types of services don't mind paying the price but certainly expect the services as advertised . And if it cant be achived for the price don't advertise it as such and certainly don't profit from it....So there is no separating the two, someone is calling the shots and someone needs to be responsible because, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck...

End of rant.....:blasign:

Jjohn I owned an R33 Skyline before my Navara, ended up tracking down the best mechanic I'd met came recommended by nearly 100% of the import owners nearby. He was also abit of a nutter last I was there he'd put big HP turbo engines in about 3 Vitara's/Sierras and was in the process of another engine swap into a 4x4.

180degrees I swear in my logbook there was a few stamps from Roadside Auto Care, I'll give them a look next time i'm up for a service. Cheers mate.

I disagree Old Tony. If you set up a nationwide franchise to sell and service your product with set policies and procedures and advertise yourself as a brand specific expert, with brand specific expertly trained technicians & mechanics offering only your genuine parts and service practices at the exclaimed set rate. insisting that customers utilise there expert services to not risk and maintain the warranty. And profiting from it I might add.
I think they have full responsability to ensure the franchisees are acting profesionaly and providing services as advertised. Particularly if its a parts issue, tecnicians training issue, supervision issue or quality controle issue.
And as they set the price and the standard, the argument on employees pay verses quality is errelivant. Most people who utilise these types of services don't mind paying the price but certainly expect the services as advertised . And if it cant be achived for the price don't advertise it as such and certainly don't profit from it....So there is no separating the two, someone is calling the shots and someone needs to be responsible because, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck...

End of rant.....:blasign:

I think my point was more that you'll find some dealers will go the extra mile (as in the EGR example). There are some dealers that don't and some that fall way behind. I do agree with you that the ones that fall behind should have their asses kicked by Nissan and NISSAN should be held accountable for the reasons you outlined.

Unfortunately, as we both know, pigs will become airborne under their own power before that happens.

Back