Noisy tappets / lifters ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Reaction score
For months now, the engine has progressively been making this tapping sound on start-up. As winter set in, cold mornings multiplied the tapping noise greatly.
As weeks/months went on the noise got louder and LOOSER, almost as if something is about to let go. But I'm not sure whether something is really getting loose or its only due to cooler mornings, or both. It's definitely in sync with the engine revs though.

After 30 seconds or more, depending on how cold it is, the sound goes away completely.
I can't put a finger on exactly where its coming from, inside or outside of the engine. Neighbour reckons its one the tappets or lifters, playing up or needs adjusting, and once the oil reaches it and it warms/lubes up, it's all good.
I'll take a video or record the sound tomorrow morning to show exactly what i mean.

Before I take it to nissan get told to f*** off since i got the exhaust fitted, any ideas as to what i might be looking at ?

Cheers!

Whats your oil pressure light doing during this time?? Got oil? When did you do you last oil change ...

I think most people will tell u they have a bit of a rattle on start up but it goes away in 3 seconds not 30

If you search here i think ive seen a few yd25 owners have this same issue and the answer was the timming chain i think .... Search start up noise

are you using a good oil filter also, shit filters can slow the oil the oil pressure light will go out but it still isnt reaching the places it should as quick as it should. 30 secs is probably to long for a crap filter but worth a try

Whats your oil pressure light doing during this time?? Got oil? When did you do you last oil change ...

I think most people will tell u they have a bit of a rattle on start up but it goes away in 3 seconds not 30

If you search here i think ive seen a few yd25 owners have this same issue and the answer was the timming chain i think .... Search start up noise

Oil pressure light goes away, pretty much as soon as i start the car, that's never been the issue. Oil change / service was just weeks ago. If the car is warm, for example driven recently, or the ambient (weather) temperature is warm, the tapping noise goes away straight away, or doesn't appear at all.
I hope it's not the chain, the cars done just over 20k. Surely it can't be that can it?

i know a bloke that had timing chain troubles 18mnths ol about 85000kms but its a farm ute and has a hard life, havent talked to him yet to find out the full story

i know a bloke that had timing chain troubles 18mnths ol about 85000kms but its a farm ute and has a hard life, havent talked to him yet to find out the full story

Hmmm my cars yet to break sweat really, but you never know. If it is something serious, even though its under warranty, with an exhaust fitted, i can see what nissan is going to say.

Hey Guys, i have a 2008 D22 41000km with the same problem on cold start up it sounded like the timing chain was trying to fly out the cover. It only does it on cold mornings, i called Nissan and told them what it is doing and even thought it is out of warranty they are replacing the chain tomorrow and are covering parts and labour.

Oh bloke - that sounds shit house.

Do one of two things:

1) put it on a truck and deliver to nissan, or;

2) take your recording to nissan

BUT, DO NOT DRIVE IT - at least I wouldn't. It sounds f&*ked to me (timing chain or similar)!

Ok folks heres is the video i took this morning, sorry about the low quality but the tapping noise is quiet distinct especially around 18 seconds and onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2FsQG7JQUs&feature=youtu.be

Had a listen to your vid and that definitely does not sound like a noise it should be making. i would be heading down to nissan to see what they have to say about it seems it under warranty. They might say holy shit its not supposed to make that noise and look at it for you in which case you can stop worring about it.

Or if they say its normal start pulling things apart. Doesn't sound normal to me and does sound like a tappet

Hey Guys, i have a 2008 D22 41000km with the same problem on cold start up it sounded like the timing chain was trying to fly out the cover. It only does it on cold mornings, i called Nissan and told them what it is doing and even thought it is out of warranty they are replacing the chain tomorrow and are covering parts and labour.

Hey buddy, do you have any mods on your engine ? Going from feedback about my nissan service centre, good luck to anyone with any sort of mods, when it comes to warranty. Related or un-related. I can just picture my exhaust being an obstacle instantly even though it has NOTHING to do with this cackling noise. It began months before exhaust was fitted.

myself i if that is a new car under warranty i would be having nissan look at that vid and the car, it sounds like a sticky lifter to me, very acustom to the sounds fromyears of having subarus that sounded like that.

or from experience i had to subarus do big end bearings after lifter noise got worse and worse and i put it down to low oil pressure then bang, so maybe chuck an oil pressure gauge on it and see what it is doing?

bryan

Yeh it's one of those things, whether i should be very concerned about it or let it be since the warmer months are now coming and technically that cackling wont be present in the morning.
But what lies beneath ...

Yep sound like the timing chain adjusters. Mate had it done under warranty. But I'm sure it was only the early yd25s. Check everything else though first before jumping to conclusions. I'll ask him exactly what happened I see him.

Alright there is a twist to this story now. A positive one i think...
I set about looking into this further, trying to pin-pint exactly wtf is going on before i commited to booking it in at nissan. I read somewhere about pouring water on the front belts... and guess what!? It fkn worked!!
Right after start-up, spraying a bit of water over the double belt, cancels the rattling instantly, and then slowly returns as it dries up. I checked everything for loose pulleys or tensioner but could not find anything out of the ordinary. Where and how the f*** can the belts make that rattly metal to metal sound? It's got me stuffed.

great to hear all is well mate. i'd still keep an eye out on it just in case it a coincidence somehow. asked my workmate as mentioned earlier his timechain retired after 10k. its was one of the very very early yd25 that had timechain dramas. nissan have aparently rectified this as it cost them a fortune with all waranty engine rebulds and replacements.
mates gonna send me some pics he has of the aftermath under his bonnet i might pop em up here.

Awesome news about the belts.... I am flat out shocked that noise can come from a belt...wow! It must be a shit tensioner or stretched belt

Hi Hodge as i commented on Robo70s thread mine was making that exact noise. Took it to Nissan thinking it was a lifter problem only to be told it was my belts. Apparently they do not like mud and dirt which mine has seen a bit of. Has recently started doing it again and Nissan did say my belts will prob need to be replaced which Im doing this weekend.... Glad its all sorted!!!!

Latest posts

Back