Non Dealer Service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filobz

Reaction score
My 10000k service is almost due & I was wondering about the non dealer service. I have not priced the local Nissan dealer, but I have noticed a local service centre advertising major service from $239 that includes oil, filter, all other fluids (Via the book) & a 55 point safety check.
I can't even drive into the local dealer for $239, any comments?
Phil

I wouldn't have any problems going elsewhere, in fact when I get back from holidays I will be, I don't plan on paying Nissan to do my servicing. No dealer can stop you going elsewhere, sure they might be able to make it difficult if there was a warranty claim and they could directly attribute the fault to the mechanic but there is no guarantee the dealer wont blame your driving for the problem either.

My mechanic will be buying the parts at trade price from Nissan and using suitable oil as per Nissans recommendation (without the Nissan badge on it) and doing the service by the book, at the end of the day it comes down to who you trust more. I hate paying dealer prices for things and since I only pay for parts (and sometimes not even those) I trust my guy more than I trust Nissan. If you're in the same position then shop around, the worst you are going to do is waste a bit of time getting prices, none of which will be as high as Nissan.

However do make sure they are pricing the specific service and vehicle you want, some of those mechs (and I'm not saying all) have a tendency to add extra bits too the cost of their prices when it comes time to pay the bill.

I can't tell if you're using the petrol VQ40DE motor or the diesel YD25DDTI. Service items are different for the two.

The 100,000K service will include pollen filters (every 20K), spark plugs, possibly fuel filter, air cleaner ... if it's an auto, and your non-Nissan mechanic uses something other than Nissan auto oil, kiss the warranty on the gearbox goodbye. The service manual is quite specific on that particular point:

Automatic transmission fluid ... 10.3 9-1/8 qt ... Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J*5

[Note] *5: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J will cause deterioration in driveability
and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the warranty.

There's a sticker in my engine bay stating the same thing.

You could do it, Nissan can't legally stop you, and provided your service guy follows the guidelines for which fluids to use, there's not a thing that Nissan can do about it.

I'm actually getting my V6 D22 done tomorrow (100 000k), at my local trusted mechanics place. He quoted me $752.00 including new timing belt and platinum plugs, with proper log book adjustments and work carried out.

Hoo Roo

The manual is also specific on the Nissan genuine oil too but as long as the specifics are right it's unlikely anything much will happen. Some people have been told by Nissan dealers that Caltex oil (of the right spec) is the best stuff to go for but that doesn't mean it's the only stuff to use.

You do have to wonder which company is supplying any of the fluids that have Nissan badges on them. But if you followed the letter of the book it suggests you have to use Nissan oil 5w-30 (or something) not Caltex oil of the same spec, yet some dealers suggest Caltex is fine. They contradict themselves.

The maintenance section of the manual I'm reading (MA.PDF, page 13) does say that about engine oils, but is very specific about the auto gearbox oil (ATF). I looked into this issue in the past when we had a discussion about using non-Nissan oils & fluids. A quick chat with the dealer confirmed that we must only use Nissan oil in the auto box, period.

The way I look at it is like this: the dealer can tell me "genuine Nissan is recommended, but you can use Brand X", but if it came down to a legal fight, it won't be my dealer in the box seat, it'll be Nissan Australia, and their documentation doesn't give alternatives on the ATF. It means that, come court time, I'll have invested a bunch in legal fees only to lose it because at the end of the day, the manual says "I must do..." and I didn't, therefore I become the one responsible, not Nissan.

The manual says alot about "Nissan" this and "Nissan" that (although strangely enough the owners manual doesn't suggest Nissan oil for the petrol engines) just like a Holden book would pretty much say the same thing with a name substituted. I'm not saying don't use a Nissan branded product, use whatever you feel comfortable with but seriously until Nissan start making their own oil and fluids instead of just rebranding how do you not know the stuff you brought with the same specs at SuperCrap isn't the same stuff as the Nissan branded stuff.

It's the same story over an over again, different dealers do use different fluids, they don't all go to the shelf and pull down a bottle of Nissan fluid to stick in the Nissan they are working on and then on the other side of the workshop where all the Toyotas are parked they have an identical shelf with Toyota fluids. This crap gets delivered in huge drums from a supplier who can and and does change on a yearly basis as tenders are opened up. Because of local deals and global deals there is no guarantee that my dealer uses exactly the same fluids as anyone else's dealer anyway, sure if you ask for a bottle of fluid from spare parts it might come with a badge on it but that doesn't mean its the same stuff they use in the workshop.

By all means be weary of what oils and fluids are being used by you or any mechanic (just like everything to do with your car) but it doesn't really have to be the huge fear factor the manufacturers want you to think it is.

Just had my 30000k service done through Nissan Berwick, cost $240 including front wheels balanced. Not too bad in my opinion.

Just had my 30000k service done through Nissan Berwick, cost $240 including front wheels balanced. Not too bad in my opinion.

I know 30K isnt a major but sheesh I could drive down to Berwick pay $240 and the fuel bill and still come out of it for less than my local charges for just the service.

Tony, I have a 2009 2.5TD (Just edited my signature). It is due its 10k service not the 100k, bought it new in March. I have a mechanic mate & he is a little down on the dealer servicing that's why I started this thread to get a more "General" feel.
Re. the oil used by our local dealer. They use Shell Helix & are adamant, as long as the oil used is a C3 low ash with a viscosity between 5W-40 (As per the owner's manual 9-4) Nissan will honour any claims.
I have more & more doubts about the Geelong dealer. I mentioned the concern you raised about the standard tow bar using level riders & they bought out a Nissan memo warning not to use them because of problems with the Pathfinder. I asked how the Pathfinder, with its totally different rear end would make it a problem for the leaf sprung D40. Their answer, "I don't know!"
I have just got off the phone to Pedders & they know of the problem with both the Pathfinder & X Trail using standard Nissan tow bars, but have not heard of any problems with the Navara D40.
I am not that impressed.
Phil

I have a mechanic mate & he is a little down on the dealer servicing that's why I started this thread to get a more "General" feel.

I think a lot of mechanics are down on dealer servicing and there is many reasons why some of which may be for their gain but even if it is purely for their gain it doesn't make much difference as long as the service is done by the book. My mechanic doesn't work for a garage, he doesn't work for a dealer, he works for a private company and has accreditation's from many leading diesel engine manufactures I don't even care if he charges me for his time it comes down to me trusting him more than I trust a dealer, although in most cases I trust a snake in the grass more than i trust a dealer too.

Re. the oil used by our local dealer. They use Shell Helix & are adamant, as long as the oil used is a C3 low ash with a viscosity between 5W-40 (As per the owner's manual 9-4) Nissan will honour any claims.

I thought it was 5W-30, but I know of Nissan dealers using Caltex and my Nav at it's 1K service got a Mobil sticker on the window for the next oil change so just where does the genuine Nissan oil fit into the equations.

And mine has a Shell sticker ... yep, so much for standards.

I've not heard of a test case regarding the auto gearbox oil, but if it's in print and in my possession, then not following the instructions regarding oil type may as well be the same as not doing an oil change at all. In the eyes of Nissan, I would not be following their recommendations and that's all they'd need to back out of any claims.

If I took it to court, they could provide the documentation stating that I knew what was required of me, and that I didn't do it, and still expected their equipment to function despite my mistreatment. I'd lose that argument.

As for the 10K service - that's an easy one. Clean the air filter, change the engine oil, check everything else. It's the 20K one where you pay about the $400 mark, things like pollen filters get changed at 20K intervals.

If I took it to court, they could provide the documentation stating that I knew what was required of me, and that I didn't do it, and still expected their equipment to function despite my mistreatment. I'd lose that argument.

I don't think anyone is talking about not doing as Nissan state, just not doing it with their "recommended" product. I can't see any court anywhere holding Nissan's claim about products failing due to improper oil or fluid if it can be proven the stuff used was the same spec but had a Caltex badge on it. It would be different if Nissan made their own unique blend of lubes that had different properties but they don't so whether its Kmart brand or Nissan brand as long as the specs are the same how can it be proven a brand name was the fault.

Tony, I have a 2009 2.5TD (Just edited my signature). It is due its 10k service not the 100k, bought it new in March. I have a mechanic mate & he is a little down on the dealer servicing that's why I started this thread to get a more "General" feel.
I have more & more doubts about the Geelong dealer. I mentioned the concern you raised about the standard tow bar using level riders & they bought out a Nissan memo warning not to use them because of problems with the Pathfinder. I asked how the Pathfinder, with its totally different rear end would make it a problem for the leaf sprung D40. Their answer, "I don't know!"
I have just got off the phone to Pedders & they know of the problem with both the Pathfinder & X Trail using standard Nissan tow bars, but have not heard of any problems with the Navara D40.
I am not that impressed.
Phil

Filo,

If you have the D40/ 2.5 TD you need to be using Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 and not the 5W-40 as the 5w-30 is made for use with the DPF of the D40,
if using Shell oils, and if you have warranty concerns.

I am not that impressed.
Phil

Yep my local dealer here in Canberra also uses Shell Helix fully synthetic engine oil in my ute. Haven't had the auto tx serviced yet but seriously thinking about a drain and flush following my trip accross the Simpson and other points in the outback.

I don't think anyone is talking about not doing as Nissan state, just not doing it with their "recommended" product. I can't see any court anywhere holding Nissan's claim about products failing due to improper oil or fluid if it can be proven the stuff used was the same spec but had a Caltex badge on it. It would be different if Nissan made their own unique blend of lubes that had different properties but they don't so whether its Kmart brand or Nissan brand as long as the specs are the same how can it be proven a brand name was the fault.

Only one big barrier to winning an argument like this....probably cost more than your car is worth in legal fees to test this out :dong:

I thought it was 5W-30, but I know of Nissan dealers using Caltex and my Nav at it's 1K service got a Mobil sticker on the window for the next oil change so just where does the genuine Nissan oil fit into the equations.

Hey Krafty,

Don't know about the D40, but the D22 1000km service, they don't even change the oil. I checked when I took mine in for it's free service. It was just basically an inspection and bolt tightening exercise with a quick test drive.

Cheers,

DJ

When nissan used to service my car a couple of times the sticker on the window would read either shell or mobil, i think at the end of the day whichever barrel of oil is cheaper for them to buy is the one they will go for. As for now my mechanic charges $220 for a service and if i want him to do something extra (usually a small thing)or have a quick glance at something which may take up to 2 hours of his time he does not charge extra for it. I suppose after years of trust and me coming back being a good customer you wouldnt think much of a couple of hours to charge to possibly loose someone.

Ditched how local dealer way back, took the Navara home twice with oil leaks
on our garage floor. Also stuffed up a service big time, got the vehicle back
3 weeks later.

Back