NP300 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can re-set the trip computers numbers individually by holding down the forward or backward page button on the steering wheel for a few seconds and that will reset that page. If you want to reset a few pages like avg fuel used page and the time travelled page, you will need to do these individually.
A bit Fiddly though.

my fuel consumption according to the trip computer is 7.2l. at calculation its 7.8. my best is 5l. im sure that figure is pretty impressive. the issue i have is the fuel tank and fuel range. it seems to only be using 60 litres out of the stated 80 litres. is there anyone having this problem too?

I believe its more like 76 litres of usable tank capacity and the other 4 are taken up by the pump and or other technical things that I'm not aware of.

If I believe the trip computer and follow its advise then Ill get about 65ish litres when its yelling at me to fill up, but I have once, on about the second or third tank after buying the car run it to almost dry, and squeezed about 75 litres in with the car squealing and flashing and red lights galore.

Then I read somewhere that its not good to run a diesel dry, so not any more.

As for economy, I've clocked up around 16000K's on the beast so far so I've recorded and compared my figures over this time and they hold fairly consistently. I get around 950 Kms to a tank or 7.8L calculated driving from western Sydney to CBD. This is driving normally, without letting my right foot get happy.

If I drive like I like to drive, I get more like 850 Kms to a tank or around 8.8L calculated, so really I cannot fault its economy for a lead footed hoon.

I have noticed however, when off-road, in 4x4 low range with diff lock on it can easily sip 20L+/100 without much enticement required.

Also as someone else mentioned, driving around at city speeds, ie: under 80 I notice very good economy, and also at or above 110, so I'm not sure what is going on there, but it seems that for around town the tune is great, and on the highway also, but the in between part which, at the moment on the M4 is the most part, is more ordinary.

Most cars have a sweet spot where everything is all running in sync and at ideal fuel economy. I'm still trying to find where mine sits best but it's difficult where the circumstance change nearly every time.
I haven't done the good off roading thing yet but interesting the car sucks so much fuel.

Poor fuel economy

Hi All.

I've just purchased a new NP300 ST-x Dual cab 4 weeks ago. I have done 1600km in it so far with no load mostly on open flat highways travelling around 100 - 110km/h (I am not a lead foot driver either). My actual at the pump fuel economy is a very disappointing 11.6L/100km (10.8L/100km on the computer).

I have a ARB Bullbar, Roof racks, ARB 40mm Lift kit, Snorkel and Nissan canopy on.

What is everyone getting on their Utes?

I am very disappointed with how much fuel I am using and even more disappointed with Nissans response to my concerns.

My pervious vehicle was a 2010 D40 ST-X Spain built Dual cab. From new I was getting a fuel economy of 8.5L/100km, and at present between 9.1-10.5L/100km after driving 105,000km.

So much for Nissans claims of the NP300 having improved fuel economy on the previous models.

I am also rather disapointed at fuel ecconomy.

No matter how I drive the truck, I cant get it under 8.5~9.0L/100km despite nissan advertising 6.5L/100km for my model.

Now 7.5/100km i could have swallowed, but getting up near 9... its almost unacceptable.

This means for the year I am using approx 700L more. Which means the vehicle costs about $900 ~ $1000 more per year to run. And that's assuming all my km's are unloaded!

I'm with you both, there is no where in HELL i'm getting 850k's to a tank. I emailed them yesterday ( Nissan ) complaining about it, only to have a farken jerk on the other end of the phone being an argumentative TWAT!

It tells me my best was 6.4 per 100 Avererage is 8.1 per 100 and I'm only getting 630-640'ks. Yet when i fuel it up it tells me anywhere between 900- 980k's. how the fark, can it be out by 200k's plus!

The longer I own the more I hate it.

I was getting a calculated 8.4L/100 around town with a fairly heavy foot so I was pretty happy.
Then come the bigger tyres and the computer says an average of 9.8L/100. Haven't done a calculated amount yet but I'd say it'd be around the 10L mark.

They (Nissan) probably did the economy testing in some sort of controlled enviroment. I say the quoted figures would be near impossible to replacate in everyday driving.

Well some of you guys are getting alot better fuel then me. I have a bullbar,snorkle and suspension lift 2 and im wondering if that changes the fuel. Im only coming to the end of the first tank of fuel and my computer is saying im getting 11L per 100km around town. I do have a heavy foot but not that much. The best ive got is 8.8L per 100km and that was driving at 80kmh on a 10km drive. Normal around town driving when i turn the car off it says 10.3 to 10.1L.

Maybe the snorkles have put the computer out.

The diesel CX5 we had before the NP300, used to average 7.5-8l per 100. Mazda advertised 5.9l per 100.

So it's not just Nissan advertising better than actual fuel economy.

i have been monitoring my 2012 d40 manual st the last couple of weeks and i'm averaging 10.3 to 10 .5 and have been carrying a constant 280kgs in the tub and i run 33's and everything else listed in my signiture, so it seems nissan has duped everyone again maybe they used some software trickery like vw.

They (Nissan) probably did the economy testing in some sort of controlled enviroment. I say the quoted figures would be near impossible to replacate in everyday driving.

I understand how it all works, which is why I could have accepted 1L/100km or 1.5L/100km worst case for higher fuel consumption over the official figures.

But 2 to 2.5L/100kms higher, on a totally stock vehicle... come on...

Not to mention the trip meter tells me it is 7.5L/100km but calculated its up 8.5~9.0L/100kms.

Just filled it with it's 2nd tank of diesel, 5k's after the warning light came on at 1/4 of a tank.

Took 59l, calculated fuel economy was 9.8 vs 9 in the gauge cluster. So just on 1/4 of a tank on the gauge is fairly spot on with specified tank volume.

Mine is a October 2015 build date.

Last edited:
so it seems nissan has duped everyone again maybe they used some software trickery like vw.

I think your onto something there. Imagine if every manufacturer was held accountable and had to release actual real figures. Probably have a better chance of getting a politician to tell the voting public what is actually going on??????:offtopic3:

There's definitely proof that the fuel figures are rubbish from Nissan. Also proof that the trip computer and fuel gauge is also rubbish and it's this part that should have a recall against them due to safety concerns.

Yeah im keen. When i asked the dealer that is doing my first service they said there isnt a fix for it yet

Just filled it with it's 2nd tank of diesel, 5k's after the warning light came on at 1/4 of a tank.

Took 59l, calculated fuel economy was 9.8 vs 9 in the gauge cluster. So just on 1/4 of a tank on the gauge is fairly spot on with specified tank volume.

Mine is a October 2015 build date.

My bad - warning came on at 1/8th of a tank with approximately 150km range left. Took 60l again.

Latest posts

Back