NP300 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a joke and i think Nissan is fudging the figures BIG TIME! Do the math and it does not add up simple as that!

Spoke to the service advisor today about it, and he made a valid point. It's risk mitigation on Nissan Aus's behalf. Why? Who are you going to call when or if you run out of fuel? Your free Nissan roadside assistance that came with the purchase of the car.

Less callouts = less cost to Nissan Australia.

Did a trip from mackay to townsville 20km around town and filled up at prossy. 9.57L per 100 was actualy figures 9.0L on the dash. After filling up the next trip said it was 8.6L per 100km best fuel economy ive got on it. So maybe it is loosening up and getting better

Mine says 7.7L/100km average on dash... but reality it is 8.9L/100km.

I dont understand how nissan can be so far off the mark... Maybe the listed fuel economy by nissan was just taken from the trip reading rather then an actual test or something? lol

Last edited:
Nissan is so full of s.h.i.t. when it comes to the fuel economy and the amount of actual fuel you can use in it. In this day and age it is a complete JOKE!

Not looking good. My ST is completely stock and unladen, the trip computer tells me im doing 9.5L/100km. Thats Sydney driving, early hours, no traffic. Im to scared to do actual calculations. And yep, ive run the fuel warnings down as far as i thought i could, only to find 62 litres filled the tank.

Just a thought,
Are you guys resetting the fuel consumption each time you fill up? It is an average of all consumption from the last reset, not just the last tankful.

One thing we need to check is distance.
We know the speedo is out 4-6km/hr at 100km.
But is it measuring distance correctly?
They could be 2 unrelated issues distance versus speed.
If we travel 100km but the speedo records 106km then what we calculate could be worse.
If it is the other way then it would be better, not a lot but it just a thought.

One thing we need to check is distance.
We know the speedo is out 4-6km/hr at 100km.
But is it measuring distance correctly?
They could be 2 unrelated issues distance versus speed.
If we travel 100km but the speedo records 106km then what we calculate could be worse.
If it is the other way then it would be better, not a lot but it just a thought.
As far as I'm aware, both the d22 and the d40, although the speedo from the factory reads approx 10% higher than the speed you are travelling, the odometer is accurate. You wouldn't think the d23 would be any different in regards to odometer accuracy, but with nissan i guess anything is possible haha

The odometer isnt correct in mine. On a 5km speedo check zone. I was about 200m short after the 5km

Maybe it is like the fuel gauge haha. So you don't go over your service interval km... 200m over 5km is a pretty bad error margin really.

Well I guess you wouldn't have to worry about it with tyres that size, it would be a monster truck so you couldn't drive it on the road anyway hahaha

My understanding with trip computers is that they are not designed to give average fuel usage over a distance but more as a 'spot check'...if you ease off on the right pedal will you achieve better figures for instance. Also, Nissan odometers, and most others it seems are deliberately set high, that is if you are travelling at a displayed 100 km/h you might be doing 90 km/h, my 2102 D40 is out by exactly 10 k/mh at any speed!..this also means when I have reached the 100'000 km warranty finish the vehicle has in fact only done 90'000km.
One more issue on fuel consumption, with a turbo charged common rail diesel at least 20'000 to 25'000 km would need to be covered before accurate and meaningful figures can be obtained...mine improved dramatically at 23'500km going from an average of 18-21 L/100km to a steady 15.4 towing a 1900kg caravan.

NP300 fuel.jpg

Updated fuel economy.
Not much change after 12,000km

Big jump in fuel economy today.
Hope it is repeatable.
I also tested the odometer against 3 navigation units.
Over 600km it is 3% out.
Used 3 navigation units 4 including the car sat nav.
Old hand held TomTom.
Google maps.
Apple maps.
All 4 showed 302km there and back. 604km
The car recorded 587km.

NP300 fuel.jpg

Back