Odometer switch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foot8sativa

Reaction score
Hi Guys... Over here in Nz we have road user chargers.. what I'm wanting to do, is when Im off road, e.g 4x4'n, driving on the farm etc turn off the odometer/speedo so I can save on road user's.

Does anyone know what wire feeds the odometer with either 12v or the signal? cheers

Disconnect the revolution sensor on the gearbox, should do the trick. If not, and yours is a newer model that uses the ABS to determine distance & speed, pull the ABS fuse.

Not sure if your model has them but pull any fuses that say METER, this will kill all instruments, fuel, temp, speedo and revs.
A good trick to know if your hiring a truck and driving long distances.

I was watching NZ highway patrol last night and they caught a Diesel Hilux with a disconnected spedo, , also wasn't wearing his glasses ,So I think a hidden switch would be the way to go,
I think he copped a heavy fine for that offence.

the problem with the d22 is the speedo is a sensor for the ecu as well.
last person i talked to that disconnected theres ended up being stuck as ecu went into limp mode.
one solution could be to fit frequency converter ir to adjust it to account for bigger tires. that will make the speedo read slow.

the legal way of course is to gps track the route and claim back the tax.

In newer model cars the ECU gets data from sensors, calculates the vehicle speed and sends an appropriate voltage to deflect the speedo needle. If you query the ECU and compare that info against a GPS (on standard tyres) you'll find the ECU is very close to accurate and the speedo needle is very close to a "wild stab".

It means that the only way to stop the car from knowing its speed is to disconnect the source of the information - the ABS unit, or in some models the gearbox revolution sensor. This could trigger limp mode too, and in D40s will prevent you from engaging 4LO.

I tried this after reading this, I have found power gets de-rated when ABS fuse is pulled, so if you want to stop kms you get a less responsive and less powered engine

Back