Off road limits

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunterman

Reaction score
G'day guys, I am about to take my d40 off road for the first time, what problems can I expect to run into whilst out 4x4ing, as well as the best ways to tackle tough terrain in it.

As with any 4x4 a well chosen path will get you and your d40 through safely. The D40 is not a high clearance vehicle and is vulnerable to damage at the front with a low hung intercooler. It has a long wheelbase so your belly may scrape over erosion mounds. If you don't have any underbody protection then don't tackle terrain that will have you bottom out. Nothing wrong with a D40 offroad, just a bit too low.
To help mine offroad I fitted a rear locker, 2 inch lift, underbody protection and 265/16 tyres. It's done some great work but does have badly dented bash plates as a result.

^ As above, the radiator is also a little low and has lugs that if struck will pierce the radiator.

Watch out for wheelspin. If you let a spinning wheel grip the ground, there is a chance that the CV/axle/front diff will break. D40s benefit greatly from a front locker (the rear diff is much stronger).

Latest posts

Back