oh no zd30 wo! ?blown turbo?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would have to think they missed that step tweak'e ! and I will keep you posted Sparra ! I guess even an expert can make mistakes but at who's expense and the crap you have to go through to have things properly rectified is a fight I don't need right now ..but yes "we" will see....

good luck with it. And yeah, let us know how you go. Frickin mechanics... Makes you wonder how they go through all those years of training and still do things like that...

Thanks Bobs, I need it !
yeah it does - they ask a professionals wage but as far as a professional service you can kiss their arse !
I only took it to Warragul injection service as I like the owner and trust him (it's over an hour away for me) - but it's the underlings that do the work, I was under the impression graham was going to do the work himself but as it turns out it wasn't !
And here lays another problem I have to fix with damage that might not raise it's head strait away!!!
never again - i'd rather take twice as long as these so called professionals and do the work myself with a manual and help from you guys here !
I feel so strongly about this issue that I want to press a civil suit and make them pay for a re build ! v cat maybe ?

btw check the manual but by memory the nissan method includes vacuum testing the spill line to check for leaks after fitting the spill line. i wonder how many mechanics actually do that.
that would have shown up any loose connections.

And that there is an excellent reason why we shouldn't complain too loudly about Nissan insisting that their service guys follow the "recipe" closely.

Nissan could - in this instance, and with considerable justification - say "well, we DID say it should be done OUR way..."

I don't know what kind of bearings are in your turbocharger. If they're roller bearings you might be very lucky, but I suspect they aren't - and that means they might have suffered a small amount of chemical attack of the surface.

This will ultimately cause the bearings to allow the shaft some play - which will ultimately lead to the destruction of the impeller.

If you have an intercooler - your turbo will go bye-bye but the damage will be limited to the turbocharger.

If you do NOT have an intercooler - your turbo will go bye-bye and the fragments will launch themselves across into the intake manifold and into the engine in less than a couple of thousandths of a second. These fragments could bend/damage valves, embed themselves in piston crowns, be hammered into the head, destroy injectors, glow plug tips ...

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't have an intercooler, you could put an intercooler in (consider the XR6 intercooler as a cheap alternative that will perform the desired protective task) and save yourself a massive amount of trouble later.

Howdy all , spoke to Grahame today - "he guesses they missed that one" ! comment of the year you thinks Tweak'e ! THE MECHANICS NAMES IS SCOTT !

I looked in that paper back manual I found "Max Ellery" and nothing on torque nm on the bolts to hold the spill line - I have been told 10nm for the one to the head and 8 for the ones to the injectors ? would anyone like to comment on that nm torque !

Me is thinking set up manual vacuum to line and torque down to these nm maybe ? any thoughts ?

Arrrr Ben it tiz man ! I'm loving the navara "and to have this happen ruins that piece of mind we all work to before a huge trip like I am planning ... Oh and by the way yours looks fine-dam fine" very tidy unit fella ...And your air box fitted up brilliantly - did you see the pic's- I haven't learnt to post them in this section yet but they are in my photos! I think the intercooler will work it's way in there just fiiiinnne ,')
Man I have had a run with her lattely "did you know I had to drop and flush tank and lines" danm the the dreaded bug !
-
Will keep you posted , The R.A.C.V guy's are due tomorrow so I will see what they plan to do on torqueing down these spill valve bolts.Oh And if anyone is wondering why I am using the racv- it's for the independent assessment for the bill SCOTT AND WARAGULL FUEL INJECTION are about to get... cheers zed

Arrrr Ben it tiz man ! I'm loving the navara "and to have this happen ruins that piece of mind we all work to before a huge trip like I am planning ... Oh and by the way yours looks fine-dam fine" very tidy unit fella ...And your air box fitted up brilliantly - did you see the pic's- I haven't learnt to post them in this section yet but they are in my photos! I think the intercooler will work it's way in there just fiiiinnne ,')
Man I have had a run with her lattely "did you know I had to drop and flush tank and lines" danm the the dreaded bug !
-

just had a look in ur pics. nice work. some interesting and unique stuff there.

i did read about having to drain your tank. bit of a bad run there.

what intercooler setup are you going to fit? what is the extra probe you have there in the intake pipe? where have you run your catch can out to?
whats the extra fuel filter, water watch?

Howdy all - ok. well she's running, a knock a few taps and the smoked finally cleared.
I was planning to give the oil a 100k's add a flush and drain with new filter, I'll run the magnet through it as suggested and take it from there as to what to do with the turbo..

The first dump of oil (more diesel than oil) had a shimmer to it (almost like a graphite look) ! I'm hoping it's just the remains of 245000Ks of wear and what not..

It definitely brings a turbo upgrade to the table now, It's a guess "but none of the nuts and bolts looked touched on the turbo" so I'd say it's original ...

Heay Ben , thanks fella..With the intercooler I was looking at fitting a "same ended" intercooler - run it parallel with the block and have the inlet/outlet at the (sth end of the block) with minimal piping . I was thinking of getting one of flebay for $140-190 and fabricating tig'ing the desired bends to the top tank and that way no silicon bends just sleaves ?
The bonnet scoop and duct is no props - plenty of styles out there on wrecks or fabricate a basic one myself !
The Catch can return line now runs into the air box - I fitted a UNI filter that you wash and treat so any oil coming from the catch can wont hurt a bit ! In fact since I moved that hose to the air box I haven't noticed any oil in it at all , well apart from the other day when the air box had about 3 lt of oil in it !

The only probe I can think of in the intake would be the boost gauge ? The blue thing is a boost controller some one suggested putting on with the chip I fitted !
Yup basically Ben just that-" it helps me see when my tanks full of the black bug" ,')
I fitted that filter/bowl and a pick up pump when I first got her ! The Pump makes filter changes and priming a breeze- and it gives the injector pump a hand they say.

Well that's about it for this post I guess, Thank you all very much for you words and help guys= brilliant stuff indeed, I'll keep you posted on the run tomorrow and how shinny the oil is ! cheers zed

be interesting to see how it goes.

what have you got your boost controller set at?

keep us updated on your intercooler setup when you get it sorted too.

Last edited:
yes for sure Ben, boost controller is on it's first setting and that brought it up to 15 to 16 and I'm fine with that for towing the camper ! What do you think ? to high ?

it should be fine, mine boosts to just over 16psi stock since i put the chip in. with 3in exhaust.

does it spool up quicker with the controller?

i've got one but i haven't fitted it yet. was thinking about winding it upto about 18 and thinking it might help it spool up a bit quicker but since the chip it seems to spool up very fast and gets to almost 17psi anyway.

Last edited:
The real test for me and spool up time will be when towing but it seems to travel fine since the chip. I have only had the chip and all the work just done and with all the troubles iv'e had with her I haven't really had time to test it all out but the coming week I will have a better feel of what's going on.... I will get back to you ben cheers zed

Back