Oil change - infrequent driving

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5942

Reaction score
Hi guys,

The Nav is my weekend car. I use it to get things from Bunnings (occasionally 4wd or camping), but most of our commuting I either use the bike or the missus car.

For that reason, the Nav hardly clocks up any mileage, in the last 4 years we did ~1000km/year on average (in between babies so there's a drop in usage :)

Anyway the question is considering the low mileage how often should I change the oil? The manual says every 3 months, I've gone every 6 months but even that sometimes seems like a waste. Not being too familiar with diesels and "trucks" in general, can I stretch it even further? Say every 9 or 12 months?

Thanks.

i can,t see why you need to change the engine oil any earlier than every 6 months if these are the K,s your clocking up [ 1k per year average ] the main thing is to always give the car a run atleast every week as its not good to let it sit idle . might pay to replace the water coolant more often as this product can gell up if left sitting to long. anyway every week as long as you run the engine all should be fine.

Like a ratio of the number of starts you do for the amount of K's you clock up. Or perhaps I should say short running. If you do lots of short runs the engine will be running cold or under operating temperature for most of it's running. In that case more frequent oil changes would be required.

Latest posts

Back