plastic moulding on steering wheel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the bonnet recall this morning my competent service department had a look at my steering wheel to see if it was a warranty claim. Their response was that they wouldn't proceed with the warranty unless Nissan confirmed it as an issue because the steering wheel retails at over $1000 and they wouldn't risk replacing it without Nissan footing the bill.

I suggested they just replace the plastic bit and if it really made them feel better I'd just accept the one that is currently effected being replaced and leave the other one in place despite it probably going the same way down the track. Their response was that they can't buy the parts separately and that replacing the plastic means replacing the entire wheel. Needles to say they wont be getting that fix it job either, bring on the wood panelling.

that hydro dip thing the yanks are into might be cool on there, can have any pattern you like (they insist on camo over everything for some reason)

Not being able to see the steering wheel works on most thieves but those jealous D22 owners look straight past the wheel and want to pinch the hair dryers anyway. I'm getting camo hair dryers when i get the wood paneling.

I agree it,s no big issue, but my STX goes back to the dealer for it,s servicing anyway so when they said they will replace the steering wheel panel and l/h arm rest under warranty who am i to argue. Part numbers are: Steering wheel cruise switch assy NI-25551-4X01A and l/h arm rest finisher NI-80961-4X01A.
I will just get them fitted next service.

That can't be right my local Nissan dealer told me the steering wheel comes as a complete unit so one piece can't possibly have it's own part number. They also told me they'd ring me by COB yesterday with an answer from Nissan as to whether it's a warranty claim, thankfully though I got the text message asking me to rate their service.

Not sure whats going on there, was under the impression that they were going to replace the cruise control switch which comes complete with the mounting plate.
See next service i suppose.

If I could be bothered making the effort for a piece of plastic that will no doubt do the same thing again I'd take that part number in and ask them what they think it's for but really they are so incompetent they'd probably tell me it was a Toyota part number.

I wouldn't mind betting they are trying to convince Nissan the wheel needs doing under warranty and if they get the go ahead they order a $20 piece of plastic and charge Nissan for the whole wheel. Everything at this place is over priced (compared to Metro dealers who are already over priced), their service is crap and I only used them for the recall because they were closer then where I brought it from and I wasn't paying them. Had my recall actually involved work I'd have probably traveled the 100ks to the dealer I brought it from but putting stickers on a car is about all this mob is good for.

Sounds like you have a dodgy dealer there Krafty, have had no problems with Mackay dealer yet. Didn,t even buy mine locally yet they seem to be doing the right thing so far. Service prices seem comparable and even though i try not to winge too much about pieces of plastic they take it seriously enough to look after me no questions asked. Until that changes i really have no reason to go anywhere else.

My plastic panel on my wheels has peeled too, didnt really worry me at first but now where i rest my fingers and thumd on the wheel it is going black and is statring to look really cheap and shitty. Ill see how i go when i take it back for the hood latch recall. Both my drivers side window switchpanel and passenger panels have gone also.

Hey All,

I have a STX with the same problem. All the paint flaked and it looked terrible.

I chased up Nissan at Indooroopilly and after 3 months they replaced just the plastic piece around the cruise control.

I picked it up this afternoon and it looks tops.

They don't replace the entire steering wheel its just one plastic bit. If you have a model with bluetooth controls on the steering wheel that is the 5 wire adapter and they don't have those parts in the country at the moment but they do have the 3 wire which is just the cruise control panel.

Chase up your local dealer it makes a huge difference!

My plastic is only peeling at the spot where I rest my hand and given the make up of these things I'm almost certain any replacement will do exactly the same thing which is why I'm not prepared to talk to Nissan regarding the matter.

In fact I'm a little bit suprised that Nissan aren't taking the stance that it is general wear and tear due to the way owners drive and completely ignoring the issue.

Should I ever have a need while under warranty to have my car back at Nissan I'll choose a better dealer and bring it up again but otherwise peeling plastic is a minor issue and something I'm not prepared to stuff around with.

montana: thanks for the well educated and informative comments your help is appreciated so much, feel free to buy a Toyota anytime.

A bit of plastic/paint peeling on a steering wheel, a recall for a possible issue with the bonnet catch and mostly everything else as you'd expect - some lemons, some not - no, I'd say mine's not a heap of shit. I'd go as far as saying that mine's an extraordinarily good vehicle.

A bit of paint peeling, as Krafty says, is a wear and tear issue anyway, really. The left side of the thing isn't wearing, only where I put my fingers.

I think there's a forum for Toyota owners somewhere.

A bit of plastic/paint peeling on a steering wheel, a recall for a possible issue with the bonnet catch and mostly everything else as you'd expect - some lemons, some not - no, I'd say mine's not a heap of shit. I'd go as far as saying that mine's an extraordinarily good vehicle.

A bit of paint peeling, as Krafty says, is a wear and tear issue anyway, really. The left side of the thing isn't wearing, only where I put my fingers.

I think there's a forum for Toyota owners somewhere.

Tony, agreed utopia doesn't exist and for its few flaws I just love my Nav!

Krafty, ring up and ask the dealer for the Maxima part cost!

Or better yet (seriously) - if the Maxima part does actually fit, I'd expect to find more Maximas written off and in wrecking yards than Navaras.

If I could be stuffed about the small amount of wear I'd get on my phone and find out, but right now I'm reluctant to get under the car and polish the gearbox mounting bolts, so I"m hardly going to call about the switch covers.

I wonder if, like the ambient temperature harness (it's there, installed, but no sensor), there's a cable + connector in our steering column for audio controls? Not that I really care, I don't even have the original radio.

It's a bit hard to see from that pic how close the Maxima ones are to the Nav's (ignoring that some of our Nav's don't have left hand controls) but it would be interesting to see just how many parts are shared through different models. Although more interesting would be the price comparisons given that my local when last asked told me the different between the Nav ambient sensor and the Pathy Ambient sensor was $17 trade yet we know they are the same unit.

As for the wiring in the steering wheel for the extra controls that question was asked a few weeks back but never really answered and like you're reluctance to make any effort to replace some peeling paint I have a reluctance to taking off the covers to see if there is something there which I'll likely never use. Besides having the wiring there is one thing but there is a good chance you'll have a heart attack when you get around to asking Nissan a price for their switches to keep both sides of the wheel looking genuine.

I might have reason to start ripping mine off the steering wheel soon, my cruise "up/down" button is feeling sluggish, like there's honey dropped in it (no, I haven't allowed Winnie the Pooh to drive my car). I'm of half a mind to remove the thing to clean it, and then I can have a look - although for me it's not important, I don't want to control my stereo with my steering wheel.

The last thing I want is for my stereo system to start doing U-turns in the dash.

Latest posts

Back