plastic moulding on steering wheel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all, well i also had the peeling paint on my cruise controll panel so noted at the 30k service and was ordered but i never got a ITS ARRIVED call so left it till my 40k which i had done a few weeks back. anyways i also had the numbers wearing off my gear knob so nissan also put that down to be replaced. Got the call few days back the parts were in so took it in today and wow they replaced the entire steering wheel as well as the gear knob. Dunno if i have been lucky with my local dealer and warranty issues but had plastic strip on roof replaced due to lifting and new tonneau cover after the white plastic snapped along with oil leak and with the steering wheel/ gear knob all done without question or excuses. Hope i havent just jinxed myself but very happy with my local dealer.

just rang moorooka nissan quoting them 25552-d40001 as stated on courtesy parts website. surprise surprise they didnt recognise it. the guy looked up local of 255514x01a but considerably dearer at $240 something, stopped listening with horror. thinking about ordering 70 dollar one from the states and trying my luck.

Can't you get it under warranty?

There is the molding with the stereo controls on ebay for $295 from Japan so who knows what they are actually worth but the US ones should be the same.

Paint was flaking off near the cruise control switches on my D40. They replaced the entire steering wheel under warranty this week.

Wow your dealer must be as lazy as mine, most people here only got the plastic replaced by my dealer needed a second hand steering wheel for something and got Nissan to replace the whole $1200 wheel....if only the buggers had put the one in with the stereo controls.

took my navara in for 40 000 service today asked about the plastic peeling and discoloration

when i went to pick it up they had ordered replacements under warranty no questions asked

inquired about a knocking when under idle the same again no questions asked all done under warranty just waiting on this part as well. they had a 2 page brochure about the knocking so might be a common problem

i thought i did see it in a topic on here some where

what i did find unusual they had no replacement wiper blades so thats on order aswell

quite happy with the local dealer

You don't need the Nissan wipers. Tri-co do replacements for around $30 each.
They are diff sizes LHS, RHS tho.

After all the replies is there a solution post warranty period? Mine is a 08 and now out if warranty

Buy them off Ebay for $295 is about the only other option other than cleaning them down and stripping the paint and going naked, although I suppose you could repaint them but using Solarguard probably wont help.

I had my cruise control moulding and all 4 of the electric window mouldings replaced under warranty, I asked the guy at Nissan if he would be replacing them with a more robust coating, and his answer was no, they will just replace them like for like. So, 6 months on 2 out of the 4 electric window mouldings have the paint off due to light scratches.
A mate of mine has the 2006 STX and you can feel the difference with the moulding, it has a much tougher coating on the mouldings than the 2008's do.

As the scratches and flakings occur in the future I will be stripping them back and applying my own coating to them, one that will last.

I had my cruise control moulding and all 4 of the electric window mouldings replaced under warranty, I asked the guy at Nissan if he would be replacing them with a more robust coating, and his answer was no, they will just replace them like for like. So, 6 months on 2 out of the 4 electric window mouldings have the paint off due to light scratches.
A mate of mine has the 2006 STX and you can feel the difference with the moulding, it has a much tougher coating on the mouldings than the 2008's do.

As the scratches and flakings occur in the future I will be stripping them back and applying my own coating to them, one that will last.

Im not sure what they use to coat the mouldings on the Thai built St, but it seems to be hanging in there.
My steering wheel itself was slightly peeling near one of the creases, so i mentioned it at my last service. Low and behold Nissan said they will replace it, which was a surpise as you can hardly even see it. Oh it has 48k on the clock.

I got mine done when they did the bonnet recall because it's the only time Nissan have seen my car. The dealer replaced the entire wheel, pity they didn't use one that had the stereo controls on it, but I could definitely feel a difference in the new wheel, and it's plastic mouldings. 18 months or something on and the plastic mouldings have a few specks in them which could be down to anything really but they haven't begun peeling. so whatever they replaced mine with was definitely an improvement over the first lot, just not sure why they replaced the entire wheel.

My steering wheel, all the window switch and door handle trims started peeling too. It's just a very very poor finish.

I tried to get them replaced via my dealer and Nissan direct but they both washed their hands of it as the car is now out of warranty (5yrs old). Thanks very much! Interestingly Nissan said this wasn't flagged in their system as "issue"

I keep my STX looking as good as possible so I bit the bullet and went to my local paint shop. I got them to remove, strip and repaint all 12 trims in a good quality two-pack with a clear satin top coat. They came back looking a million dollars - cost me $407.

To save some money I could have probably removed the parts myself and stripped them ready to paint but then I didn't want to contend with the Airbag.

Latest posts

Back