radiator insect screen

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmck

Reaction score
hi all,

as you can see i am new to this forum. i am really enjoying it, and getting alot of great ideas for my d40

has anyone fitted a radiator insect screen. I am after ideas. Is it a problem with turbi diesel models.

thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't fitted one, I was advised against doing so, but considering the locust plague and our upcoming trip to Uluru I was thinking about fabricating a removable one that fits over the centre section of my bullbar.

I don't have a lot of time to manufacture it now, but given what several mechanics have said about the requirement for fresh air flow over the intercooler/radiator/condensor/oil cooler mounted in the front, it might be for the best.

Just fashion flyscreen wire over the bar, if there is no bar, over the grill. Flyscreen will only be restrictive when it gets full of bugs at which time you can take it off and clean it.

Considering that many open cut mine vehicles around here have their exhaust modified to sit on the front bumper (in front of the grill) and that the majority of your radiator air passed through the bottom section (below the grill) you should be able to fashion enough of a screen that allows for direct bug hits to be stopped while still allowing for air to move around a gap you put in the bottom section. It wont stop everything but it will stop a fair amount.

Absolute must at the moment in the Malle region, I drove through the locusts a couple of weeks ago, wow what an eye opener, literally, I couldn't see the road or much of the sky, truely amazing.

I didn't have a screen but I noticed the locals in Mildura had what looked like a commericial job,it certainly looked a lot better than some of the shade cloth jobs I saw, but they probably worked just as effectively.

I'll be fitting one on my next trip for sure.

I've fitted some fly screen mesh between the radiator and grille, and cable tied it to the grille on the inside... Not the easiest to remove but atleast it saves the paintwork

My wife made one up with the soft fly wire screen, sewed some velcro tabs on the top to secure to the bull bar. I put some eyelets on the bottom corners and centre and secured it with 3 small occy straps that attach to the body under the bull bar.

Just returned from the Flinders Ranges and I was keeping a close eye on engine temps etc. I was a bit wary that temps would go up with the fine mesh, but there was no change whatsoever. It worked well and cost about 5 bucks all up. Other mates with us just used some scrap shadecloth secured with cable ties. Total cost - half a dozen cable ties !!

Dave

thanks guys.

i went into tjm today and they had what was glorified shade cloth with eyelets so you can ziptie it to the grill.

my only concern is that it may push the temps up.

my only concern is that it may push the temps up.

Everyone in Mildura was driving around with them on in 30+ degress, so I doubt it will be a problem, infact your more likely to overheat without it if the bugs are bad enough to warrant one in the first place!.

My concern would be the price at TJM, flywire and shade cloth are cheaper.

As DaveO has said he's had no temp rises, and there are many people like him doing this to all manner of cars all over the country, neither shade cloth or flyscreen are that restrictive, but if you are that worried try it out and take the car for a drive for a little while, watch the temps on a few short trips and if you notice a problem then stop.

Latest posts

Back