Ran out of diesel in my new STX - WTF?!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same thing happened to me a couple of months back, the gauge said i had 70ks till empty. I was parked on a hill and it would not start, called road side assist they rolled me to the bottom of the hill and it started for about 15sec then stalled. The guy then put in a 5lt can of diesel and it suddenly had a 1/4 of a tank. I also sometimes get the low oil warning when parked on a decline.

Mine was similar when I ran out, I should have had about 60 odd ks left according to SG but was closer to 30 going by the pump, parked on a hill and it stopped, the difference was I was on the hill because I was waiting for a guy to move his truck at the servo. I just rolled into spot and primped the pump after I filled up and it was all good.

I've had the low oil light twice, once on a slope and once on the flat but both times it went off after about 5 seconds.

It's definitely an 80L tank, the reason is the first and only time I've run out of fuel was on the service station forecourt turning round to get to the right side of the pump and I put just under 81L in. The truck was brand new then... I'll happily swap your 600km on a tank for my 80L....

Now I'm gonna try letting mine run right down to test it. (Think a jerry can will come with).
I regularly refuel before I go home so that the tank is full most of the time, so I wouldn't know what it does that low.
I do the same in my diesel machinery to reduce the ability for condensation to form.
No, or little air = less condensation = less water = less potential for algae to grow.

That's true enough but algae growth doesn't happen over night just because your tank is half full. I understand some peoples concern on the issue but in most cases it's not an issue many of us will ever have to work around.

Our tractor spends all it's time out in the weather and parked in a prime location for algae to form in both the tank and the water trap and it's never had a full tank of diesel in it's life. We once suspected algae in the tank but it was not the case it was just shit fuel.

Manufacturers of small diesel engines that get put in cars don't expect all owners to run with a full tank of diesel at all times, or park in garages, or even pretend they understand stuff like additives to supposedly help prevent algae but they also don't expect to be fixing all their cars because such issues arise, so while the potential could be there I wouldn't be letting it change my habits for refueling.

I'd rather know and regularly check just how far I can get out of a tank rather than always refilling when the gauge says half and just relying that the last half is the same size as the fist half (which I know in mine it isn't).

my 75 litres of useable fuel

I deliberately ran mine until it coughed on the highway, when it was quite new.(Of course I had spare fuel drum in the back, and strong fingers ready to prime the filter). Eased off however, and stopped at next servo just down the road a bit, only took 75l. That is now what I work on. The light appears to come on consistently when 62 litres have been used. I just zero the second tripmeter at that time and know that I have 130km available at a pinch in easy conditions.
Good info about the pick up at the rear of the tank and the associated probs. Thanks

Peice of rubbish

Yes, i also have a Nav and its a piece of crap. I cant believe their is even a web sight about these 4wds, Nissan really have gone down hill!!!!

Have had the same happen to me 2010 RX manual . Seems to be if I have reversed up the hill and engine is running. Stalls and won't re start. Jump start works.

Had a similar issue went down the beach fishing late had a bout 1/4 tank backed up on the beach probably 30 degrees. Fished till three hours before high tide packed up then started it turned the lights on for the final clean up inspection hoped in and it stopped. A few choice word were uttered had to be snatched off by some friendly hilux drivers fellow fishers before the tide gave it a wash wasnt terribly happy. When we got it to flat ground cranked it a short while and it started drove off the rest of the way fuel light still was not on. Fueled it up today 64lts best check with service dept seems a bit useless if it runs out of fuel on a hill when there is plenty in it.

You have to take all things into consideration though, stopped on a hill for a period if time is different to driving down a hill. Even parked with the engine running is different to rolling down the same sort of incline.

These things aren't infallible parked on an incline even with 20% of the tanks capacity could easily create fuel starvation depending on where the pick up is. Nothing really to complain about.

ive only ever let my fuel light come on twice and both times i started crapping myself. what do you guys think the average distance you could travel when the light comes on?

i esay get a 100 ks with the light and the most i get in at fill up is 79L
just dont go 4wding with a 1/4 tank

Wow I'd have been screwed on more than one occasion if mine only took 74l.

However there was one day I turned off the SE Carpark at Fountain Gate and the car spluttered going around the corner at the lights and down the road a bit but I got to the servo and only put somewhere between 70 and 75 liters in it, was just the angle at the right time as I leant it around the corner.

If it ever did it again i would take it to Nissan and ask why.
I was sure it had at least 5 lts left but after running out 3 times in traffic and hand priming it back up i went straight to servo and filled it and yes no where near 80

If you can prove the tank doesn't hold 80, then you might have a case but running out (or having the car splutter with fuel in the tank) with 5-10l in the tank I doubt they will care much.

Latest posts

Back