Replacing current side steps with a more HD ones?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey fellas.....

I was under the car today looking how the sidesteps were attached to the car. For factory Sidesteps I thought they looked pretty solid when compared to other vehicle makes..... So it got me thinking as to making a more H/D replacement version but using the same mounting position. I know they won't be as solid as the ones that bolt to your chassis but using some 6-8mm plate steel where it bolts to the body in the 3 places it would have to be reasonably solid for what I'd use it for (ie not rock crawling, etc). Also my thinking that any hits it did cop would be spread across the 3 mounting positions and therefore shouldn't (I hope) damage the body.... remembering that the car at this stage won't be used for hardcore 4wdriving but more the bush exploring / touring, with the odd weekend throughout the year at various 4wd parks.....

One of the reasons I was thinking of going this way was I don't have to worry about modifying them again if/when I put a bodylift in as they will be attached to the body and not he chassis, giving me some more time to save $$ and still have sill protection....

Just after some peoples comments, etc....

cheers....
rob

I would make them bolt around the chassis, much, much stronger than securing them to the floor. There is only a 3mm plate about 180mm square under the carpet.
Build it right, build it once.
These are the ones I made for mine.

I would make them bolt around the chassis, much, much stronger than securing them to the floor. There is only a 3mm plate about 180mm square under the carpet.

Thanks for that... I know the way u did it is much more stronger but I was thinking along the long lines tha I wouldn't need to re-adjust them when I eventually fit a bodylift.... + with the Long Range Tank I've got installed, there is not much room between the chassis rail and the LR Tank

Hi mate , I have ARB side steps and brush bars fitted to my truck . There fitted with some u bolts around the chassis rail and are fairly solid for touring and they give the sills decent protection

Hey mate i'm about to start making my own steps what length and width did you go with? I measured up my Nav today and i came up with 1980 L X 210 D

Latest posts

Back