Robmacca's D22 3.0ltr TD and Intercooled

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Robmacca's SLOW Build 3ltr D22 ST/R

Ok fellas.....

Bring lurking around here for some time now, gaining as much info as necessary, which would hopefully enable me to find the "'right" D22 to suit my needs..... well, I've finally think I found it.... thanks to a certain member on here pointing me in the right direction.

It's a 12/2002 model registered in 2013. Looks like I'm the 3rd owner of it and it just has a little over 130,000kms on the clock. For a 10yr old car it's in pretty good condition, but not the good that I would be afraid to get it scratched. It has its usual stone chips, etc, but from a distance and after a couple of cut & Polishes, it looks now pretty good.

It has come with quite a few accessories... to the point that I don't really have to do much to it at all..... well..... all, but try and find a Winch Bullbar, but hopefully in time I may come across one.....

Sone of the accessories it came with:

• Snorkel
  • IPF Spotlights
  • Dual Batteries
  • Catch Can
  • Intercooler
  • Electronic Rust Protection
  • OME Rear Springs & OME Shocks all round
  • 2.5" Exhaust System
  • Nudge Bar
  • Near New Tyres (Wildcats A/T)
  • ARB Canopy with Roofbars
  • Outback Drawer System in the back
  • Long Range Fuel Tank
  • Uniden UHF Radio
  • Tinted Windows
  • Weather Shield on Drivers Side
  • Seat Covers (need replacing though)
  • Dtronic Performance Chip
Things that I've added since owning:

• Got rid of the old Can Catch & fitted Provent 200 Catch Can.
  • Installed Donaldson 2nd inline Fuel Filter for extra prot'n.
  • Installed a Rotronic's Engine Temp Sensor to protect against coolant loss.

I can't believe how well it goes with the chip and seems to have a good amount of low down torque..... Waiting to see what sort of economy I will get but with the LR tank it might take me a month to empty it and refill it.

Anyhow... here's some pics of my new little play toy:

2002D22Navara3ltrDualCab018.jpg

2002D22Navara3ltrDualCab017.jpg

2002D22Navara3ltrDualCab016.jpg

2002D22Navara3ltrDualCab014.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys.....

forgot to say thanks for the guys on this site for all the info they provided.... helped a lot too.....

There's minor things I want to do, like install a voltmeter and some more 12v plugs, etc. I was disappointed to find out that the ScanGauge doesn't work.

Want to fit some roofbars on the roof, but considering the ones with the rails that pop-rivet to your roof....

Other things that I'll get in the short time:

Tinted Bonnet Protector
Dash Matt
Canvas Seatcovers
EGR/butterfly mod
Extended DIFF Breathers - FRONT & REAR
Floor Matts - REAR
and probably some other stuff when i can think of it

Hey mate,
Congrats on the purchase!

My first priorities would be suspension + body lift, rims & tyres, front bar and winch, sliders, under body protection, lokka's, UCA's

There's an easy $5-10k

Also, definitely get the riveted roof racks, they're SO much better than the other sort. The MSA canvas seat covers are pretty good as well, $700 to do the entire truck.

Finally Rob! Looks great, and with a stack of mods already done you're miles ahead.

I was looking at the photos thinking, something looks out of place, couldn't work it out and then I realised it was the std front bumper.!

Nice looking truck rob, yeah i would start with suspension then go from there. Also you guys do realise these trucks have diff breathers that go to the engine bay already so no real reason to extend them!

Bryan

04SilverSTR said:
Nice looking truck rob, yeah i would start with suspension then go from there. Also you guys do realise these trucks have diff breathers that go to the engine bay already so no real reason to extend them!

Bryan

Everything except the rear diff has a breather mounted on or near the firewall in the engine bay. Only some models have a rear diff breather from the factory that just runs up to the underside of the tray, and all the rest don't.

It definitely be worth running a good diff breather in

Yeah i know the front diff comes up the pass side inner guard but i havent follwed the rear to see where it goes but there is a few more breathers on the drivers side.

Bryan

Thanks guys.....

I did forget to mention that apparently it has aftermarket suspension under it already...... OME rear springs and OME shocks all round. Original TB up front.

The previous owner had it setup for towing his van. It doesn't look as though the suspension is lifted.... what is the std height of these vehicles ??

Thanks Josh.....

I'm definitely keen to get the Bar and Winch. I have a spare set of 17" rims for the Prado that I was hoping to get a good set of Muds for. That way I can use them on the Prado or Navara when required..... assuming their the same stud pattern (must check that soon). Bodylift also would be good...... but for the time being, I'm cash strapped until I can offload our Toyota Aurion.... Doesn't seem like a good time to sell cars these days.....

Lockkas: Well, some day I would like an Autolocker in Front and a Electrical or Air operated Locker in the Rear, but that is some time off.

Sliders: I'll have a crack at making them myself. I made the ones on my Zook and they've stood up the flogging that I've given them.

Underbody Protection: I'll wait and see here I think..... will depend on the sort of driving I do I reckon.... I still plan on using my Zook for Hard to extreme stuff and at this point leave the Nav for the touring or Easy to Medium stuff

Hey mate,
Congrats on the purchase!

My first priorities would be suspension + body lift, rims & tyres, front bar and winch, sliders, under body protection, lokka's, UCA's

There's an easy $5-10k

Also, definitely get the riveted roof racks, they're SO much better than the other sort. The MSA canvas seat covers are pretty good as well, $700 to do the entire truck.

This is going to be a real slow build, but every now and then I get inspired but you guys on here, so today I decided to fit the Spare Rotronics Engine Temp Sensor that I've had sitting in the shed from my previous 4by's. I don't know if these heads are ever proned to heat problems but I thought I would install it anyhow as a protection against blown hoses, etc. It's fairly easy to install, the only hard part is trying to find a wire that is only alive when the ignition is on.... Hopefully I've managed to find & tap into the right wire. Does anyone where the easiest place to source an ignition Active wire + because I also got caught with leaving my headlights on, I want to install a warning buzzer... to do so I need to access a Dashlight active wire from within the cab.... can anyone give me the heads up on where the easiest place to locate a active dashlight from?

Here's a couple of little pics of the temp sensor:

D22EngineTempSensor031.jpg

D22EngineTempSensor032.jpg

D22EngineTempSensor033.jpg

I found a nice bolt hole at the back of the head which was perfect for the sensor's coupling
D22EngineTempSensor037.jpg

Does anybody know of an easy access point to the doorlight switch wire ?

Well....Finally got around to wiring up a Headlight Warning Buzzer to the Nav after nearly getting twice now with leaving the headlights on.... As it turned out the Doorlight was easy to find but the Dashlight feed was a little bit harder, but I came across a wire that had been cut and left unsealed and floating around up near the steering column... thought I test the wire to see if it was alive when the headlights were turned on....I WAS IN LUCK, it was alive so the rest was easy and now the I have a buzzer that warns me when I have left the lights on and open the door to get out..... no more near misses :)

Trying to decide on what to do tyre & rim wise.... Looking at putting on 17" tyres and rims that I can use on the Navara Ute but also on our Prado.... thinking that in the long run that this will be the cheaper option even though 17" tyres are generally dearer..... 1 set of good MT's on these & used between 2 cars

P1010542.jpg

P1010547.jpg

P1010550.jpg

It took me awhile, but I've warmed up the look of the Prado Steel Rims on it. A slightly less of an offset at +30mm compared to the standard +40mm offset. Still within the guards as well

P1010546a.jpg

Last edited:
Bullbar and Winch Installation

Just a bit of an update.....

New Nissan Steel Winch Bar and Tigerz11 12,000lb winch added. Installed a 12v isolator switch to help prevent any unauthorised use of the winch. Had difficulties in where to mount the control box. Ended up just relocating the Plug socket and mounted it between the spotties. Not sure if this is the best spot to the possibilities of restricting airflow to radiator and also the Intercooler Radiator.... What's peoples view.... would this restrict airflow?

Next task is to start trying to seal up the rear tailgate to try and limit the influx of dust.... pics to come once job is done....

WinchBullbar001_zps012adc4d.jpg

WinchBullbar002_zpsbd0b9f9d.jpg

Also a bit concerned how far the control box sticks out but with limited space that's the best I could get w/o spending $$ on a smaller control box

WinchBullbar003_zps607a3748.jpg

WinchBullbar006_zps0caba041.jpg

Once thing I forgot to ask... since the winch is new and has never been unwound, do I have to unwind it & then wind it back on b4 I have to use it in anger?

Latest posts

Back