Rubbing - Is it offset or rim width ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Reaction score
Just began noticing serious rubbing on the guard corner. Only happens when I'm cornering, in or out of an incline, for example turning into a driveway that slightly slopes upward. Lucky i didn't take it off-road after the rim upgrade.

I didn't have this issue before i got the steel rims. 20+ offset, 16x8. Same tyres though. So which would be the culprit offset or the wider than normal rim size.
I cut the very corner of the mud guard off, but now it's exposed some bare metal, and pretty sure it still rubs, causing damage to tyres after a while no doubt.

It's a combination of both. I'm running the same combo as you. Just keep trimming until the tyre is clear of the inside corner. Paint the bare metal if you're worried. I just filled the gap left on the inside edge with sikaflex to stop it from holding mud and water.

Thanks chule. I figured it was a combo of both causing the rubbing, but just wasn't sure, and got my brain ticking about the fact they might have given me the wrong off-set. Might give the grinder a workout and get rid of the metal bit by bit.

I got the same combo 16 x 8 + 20 offset and 265/75 MTZ's I had to leave off the front mudguards and bash in a bit of the body work on the corner to stop the scrubbing.

Would be interesting to see if 16 x 7's had the same problem.

Hodge - as other have said combo of both.

Doing the maths - +40 std to +20 now 20mm further out. An extra 25mm of rim width (12mm each side) pushed your tires 32mm further out.

Just trim the guards a little more. With a heat gun your can reshape the plastic to clear or just go bananas so it can never scrub even with 35's.

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

Either grind smooth and paint or stick the plastic inner guard over (i've done both)

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics tommy. Will definitely have to do something about it. Spent a few days around otways last weekend, and although i didn't do any major tracks as most are shut, the light stuff i did do, made the wheels rub like crazy. That was the first time i went off-road since the wheels got fitted, so i had no idea it would be THAT bad.

I'm running 16x7 +16 steelies with 265 75 16
They scrub bad too.
I've currently got it jacked up about the grab the grinder :)

I have 16x8 on 0 offset with 265/75 they scrub bad. I stupidly let Perth 4x4 talk me into the 0 offset. I have cut back the metal in the tyre arch but still scrubs would a extra inch from a UCA help? Or do I need to go more nuts with a grinder and hammer?

I have 16x8 on 0 offset with 265/75 they scrub bad. I stupidly let Perth 4x4 talk me into the 0 offset. I have cut back the metal in the tyre arch but still scrubs would a extra inch from a UCA help? Or do I need to go more nuts with a grinder and hammer?

Hey mate. Since i got uca and gained more height the scrubbing i used to on normal conditions has gone away. However i havent gone offtoad yet, but i suspect under some flex and a bit of steering it will scrub.

Hey mate. Since i got uca and gained more height the scrubbing i used to on normal conditions has gone away. However i havent gone offtoad yet, but i suspect under some flex and a bit of steering it will scrub.

Thanks mate ill give it a go

Unfortunately under flex they still rub, why didnt you take the rims back, 0 offset rubs on patrols aswell with 35's no chance for a navara

I've got a 2" body and 2" suspension with 0-offset rims and 265/75 KM2's and have a tiny bit of rubbing on full flex, Took about 5mm off of my mud flaps and all good, UCA's go in at the end of the wk, was nurvous going with a 0-offset rim but they look great

Latest posts

Back