Running out of diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavaraD22

Reaction score
Does the D22 ST-R with YD25-CR engine automatically prime the fuel lines once filled after running out of diesel? Or do I need to pump something? Can it damage the engine?

I very nearly ran out of fuel the other day and was wondering...

There is no electric fuel pump.

You will have to prime it to get the fuel to the high pressure pump.

Dave.

if you run out of fuel and refill you will need to prime the filter and hopefully the injection pump will do the rest.
and yes it will damage the pump/injectors a bit if you run out of fuel as they are lubricated by the diesel. how much damage depends on if you if keep turning the engine over when its dry.
odds are the ecu will turn off the engine anyway due to lack of injection pressure and that will keep the pump/injectors wet with fuel. but still its not a good thing to run out of fuel.

I found the fuel priming pump located at the rear on the right of the engine bay about the size and shape of a can of coke, but grey in colour (genuine nissan one) with a black pump thing on top.

Run out of diesel in d22, put air hose in take until pressure builds up, then get some one to pump fuel filter until full, crack fuel filter on - out line to remove air. Then turn over. Turning over with no diesel in filter will **** injectors. Or buy a Toyota or Donaldson diesel filter.

yeah a bit of compressed air on the tank vent in the engine bay works well. just have to remember which one is tank is which is front diff!
dosn't take much pressure to push a lot of fuel through!

Back