Running temp on a d22 3ltr

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorro

Reaction score
Hey guys i just purchased a 06 nav 3ltr and just wondering what the running temps are as im sitting roughly on halfway and my mate says his is running on a quater?

Cheers

Just below half for me. The ecutalk reads 86 degrees under normal conditions.

Cheers mate i guess its normal then. Just new to having a turbo diesel last car was a XR8 ute and i put in a different thermostat to keep it running a bit cooler

howdy all, was wondering the same thing on a 03 d22 3lt ? Mines sits just over 2/3 a little under 1/2 - would a change in thermostat be in need ? was thinking of fitting a big arsed bonnet scoop ? just a thought ,')

at about halfway mine sits at 87 degrees. occasionally up to 89. A bonnet scoop wont help with the temp reduction. As they are forcing air in to the engine bay to cool an intercooler. If yours is high try a coolant change and give the radiator a good clean.

chris

yup have done Chris ! still the same - 30+ with air on no change so all must be good I guess ,') thanks

05 zd30 just under half on the gauge, has never changed whether I ran front mount intercooler or top mount,spotties in the way or no spotties. Winch in the way or no winch.

On my D22 3Ltr. it sits on the halfway mark,
been thinking of a 30 percent better flow thermostat to get it to run cooler.
Any one tried one off these.
Is there a problem with making a turbo diesel 4x4 run cooler.

Diesel engines should run between 80-85 deg. That is the sweet spot that all clearences are designed for.
As a marine diesel engineer we spend half our life keeping the big diesels in that temp range to avoide wear and damage to parts so i cant see why you would want to change it. If your in gld then it may need to be changed to handle it better but i would be carefull as to what temp range you end up in seasons depending.
My temp gauge sits just under half way in normal opperation, some times creeps up a bee's dick when under big load after muddy slop driving, or when im driving in the fresh tassie winter it sits a little lower then normal untill i load it up. Apart from that its usually solid as a rock just below half!

Thanks for the reply albatross, this is my first diesel, so still learning.

I will have to get a proper temp gauge to find out what my actual running temp is when the needle is at the halfway mark.
Just noticed that it seems very hot under the bonnet when i first open it...

So it should be between 80-85 deg. The sweet spot that all clearances are designed for.
Where is the best place to get this reading from.

Mine is a 2006 ,D22, ZD30, fitted with intercooler

hey lever,

i wouldnt stress about changing the thermostat out based on the oem temp gauge. it seems to me on my zd30 that half way is its happy place to sit. compared to my aftermarket gauge, from about 70 through to 90 is half way on the oem gauge.

this isn't hot for a diesel and from all the other post, it seems the ZD30's are made to run at this temp.

Do you tow heavy loads, or put on a lot of stress on the engine? if you do it might be worth having a higher flow but if its not going past half way now why change it?

That's normal halfway if you have a egt guage fitted you will find on a large uphill pull those temps will go up yet the temp of the water remains at 50%+ the more you up the power the danger is in the egt's not the water.

Leaver, i would be more concerned with a egt gauge as happy john said, and a boost gauge as these are much more important and if anything is wrong the stock gauge for water temp will let you know!

yeah i look at my egt and boost gauge all the time, great indicator as to what is going on in the engine bay. the water temps just gives me a closer look at what the cooling system is really doing.

Thanks fellas, sets me on the right track.

Computer died, working on a cheap notebook for the time being, and it's very slow.
When i get my computer fixed or replaced i will be able to do a search this site for the best egt and boost gauge to buy, and where the best place to mount them is.
Thanks again for the advice.

Latest posts

Back