RustyNavs Tourer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, worked forced me to take a day off in annual leave. THANKS WORK. well it gave me some time to do another job thats been sitting in the garage. SPRAY ON TUBLINER same stuff Rhino use just DIY.

basic kit with the liner, hardener, spray gun total of $190.
+Tin of Quality Thinners $15.00
+Masking Tape $3 pack of 5 from bunnings
+ Newspaper $Free

here is the photo of the kit
IMAG0179.jpg

From left to right = Schutz Gun (Orange Peel Effect in Paint), 1L Tin of Underbody Gaurd(needed the tin to suit the gun), Hardener Liquid 1L and the Tub Liner(can be coloured to any tint).

remember you need thinners and tape etc aswell.

Alright so here i go with a how to for the tubliner spray

1. Remove the Rollbar and any hooks etc on or in the tub. if you have the eyelets for the torneau they can stay there.
2. Draw a pencil line where you want you liner to finish over the tob of the tub(if you want it to go over)
3a. Now use your masking tape and follow that line on both outsides of the tub. also mask of any holes etc. Using the newspaper or wateva you have (dropsheets, rags) cover
your cab and also any areas you dont want covered in tubliner. make sure you get everywhere as this stuff is a pain in the arse to get off.
3b. Using 400 grit dry sand paper and a scouring brush rub the gloss coat off the parts you want to spray. then clean up by either hosing out or wiping down with wet cloth then use Wax and Grease Remover by DIGGERS to clean of any other loose bits in tub.. make sure you dont rub down to the metal.
4. mix 1L of tubliner kit at a time. so this was my best mixing ratio:
- 1L Black Liner from the 4L tin
- 250mL of Hardener
- 100mL of Thinners (good quality)(I used MotorSpray SuperGlow Multi Purpose Thinners)
now mix thoroughly make sure its all blended nicely.
5. Pour 1L of mix into the 1L Schutz Gun Tin, and screw Schutz Gun onto tin
6. Set your compressor at 4-6Bar
7a. Starting at Headboard work your way to the back of the tub.
7b. Found the best way was to start Headbaord, then Wheel Arches, Then Side Walls and Overlips on Tub sides, then work your way back on the floor.
8. Mix as you need.(i used 3L of the main tin. so thats around 4L of complete mixture).
9. Let dry and wash all your gear.

Prob not the best run through but you'll get the idea once you start

Last edited:
Peel all your masking tape off BEFORE it drys completely.

you should end up with a nice finished tub sorta like mine

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

the last picture is of the Orange Peel Effect the Schutz Gun will give you. If you dont want this effect just use a normal gravity fed spray gun with a 2.5mm tip for smoooth finish

I have left the tailgate off for a few days to make sure it all dries to the best it can. It is semi dry in a couple of hours, but id rather it have time to completely set before putting anything in it. I would recommend 7days before putting loads in it. fine for me but may not be for others. there are faster drying kits out there i didnt know the drying time on this kit. ill test it tomoz morning and see how it is going.

Enjoy

Wow, excellent work with the liner Rus, where did you get this kit from?

I still want to do this job soon as well, but I'll have to take the canopy off first though, (Grrrrrr!)

Wow, excellent work with the liner Rus, where did you get this kit from?

I still want to do this job soon as well, but I'll have to take the canopy off first though, (Grrrrrr!)

Hey ray,

The kit is from Queensland paint supplies at salisbury. Cost me $190 for all of what you see in first picture of the kit. Prep work involved washing, light sand to get the gloss off then wipe down with wax n grease remover. Then just mask it all up and cover everything u don't want sprayed in newspaper and dropsheets. Then spray

Well it has set nicely. It's hard but only useable for light works until its had a week of good drying time. Waiting for flexiglass to ring me to say they have my canopy ready. Stupid wait list.

After canopy the draw system gets a start.

Lovely work on the tub, how long did the whole process take?

Mate it took me a whole day.5hours prep, 1 hour of spraying, 2hours cleanup. Cleanup included removing masking tape and stuff from car and washing of all my gear. If you have a mate that wants to help the prep work could be done a lot sooner.

That's an awesome write up you have there. Do you think most paint suppliers should stock this kit?

Sent from Josh's iPhone using Forum Runner

When you were spraying this Rus, was there much overspray floating around? Reason I ask is if I can get away with using this spray system without taking the canopy off it would be a lot better. (I'm willing to mask the whole lot up inside)

That ARB canopy is a bugger to get on/off, line it back up again to bolt on etc, :sarcastic:

That's an awesome write up you have there. Do you think most paint suppliers should stock this kit?

Sent from Josh's iPhone using Forum Runner

Hey josh.

Mate I'm pretty sure any paint supplier will have a kit like this. Some shops have there own brands and also other brands like raptor liner etc. Mine was a in-house kit. Tint any colour you want

When you were spraying this Rus, was there much overspray floating around? Reason I ask is if I can get away with using this spray system without taking the canopy off it would be a lot better. (I'm willing to mask the whole lot up inside)

That ARB canopy is a bugger to get on/off, line it back up again to bolt on etc, :sarcastic:

Hey ray.

Overspray I really didn't have much. On the grass from doing the tub sides and that's it. If u mask/sheet everything you don't wanna spray it shouldn't be a problem to do. Cause even if you do overspray its only on the paper Nd masking tape.

WOOHOO the canopy has ariived. going it for fitting on the 26th. yay finally only a 5week wait for it and 6 weeks by the time it goes on. hope it goes on properly and they have ordered the right one or ill be pissed :mad:

Well canopy went on today. after 4 hours of waiting i pick it up and get it home to find out they have done theeeeeeee worsssssssst wiring job in the world on it for the lights and interior light and they couldnt even find the right wire to get the central locking working on it. so off to autobarn to get them to sort out the central locking issue. they want $80 on top of the $$$$ i just paid for the canopy, so i ring flexi to see if they will give me the $80 back to cover the cost managers tells me he will cover 50% of the $80 to fix. NO THANKS i say i will be bringing it back down to you and you can fix itand want it sorted today. another trip down to flexiglass and i tell them which wire its got to be hooked up to and demand the wiring that runs under the car to be secured and done properly. 1hour later after sitting around waiting the car comes out COMPLETE and done properly (FINALLY). after being disappointed and having to take it back im glad to say im happy with the finished product. a few minor detail that i will touch up myself.

finished product

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

Looks shmick mate.

Those flexiglass canopy's look alright these days.

The old ones use to look shit.

thanks dave. you can still get the original flexuglass canopy with the pitted looking canopy(roughish surface) with the black aluminium frame but i was after the more modern style canopy with solid glass windows liftup all round and this happened to be the only one the wife liked and i liked also. the other bonus is it doesnt get drilled into the tub body it is a clamp down design and is easy to remove and refit minus the wiring running into canopy which ill have to stick a adaptor plug on.

Just some more notes on the canopy. After all the rain we had in Brisbane on the weekend I noticed a couple of very small leaks. Nothing that couldn't be fixed by repositioning a clamp or a dab of silicone. So far I'm happy. Just gotta get under the car and do a quick tidy and go over everything.

Latest posts

Back