Scanguage II

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Woody glad you got it all sorted, now to convince the missus it's been there since day one :big_smile:

I've never had any glare or reading issues with mine, the make shift cover over the top does nothing other than make it less visible on a quick glance through the windscreen. I doubt it very much whether some halfwit wanting quick cash would be that tempted by a SG so hiding it probably isn't a huge issue but I tend to keep most things out of sight as much as possible.

Krafty

didn't have any glare issues on the weekend - on the SC, or from the wife ... so all good.

But i will be looking at the autobarn's and supercheap's for a dash matt ... it will neaten up the look a bit.

Yeah I don't think the screen is big enough or angled anywhere near the directions that any decent glares would come from so it's not a huge issue. The missus on the other hand well I'm not sure there is any way to stop them glaring if they start.

I got my mat off ebay, main reason was the guy that was selling them lives about 10 mins away and I could save on postage, he was bit cheaper than Autobarn of SuperCrap too, chances are they all come out of the same factory anyway. I never used to be happy with store brought ones and really only brought this one because of the SG but I was suprised they've either improved in their product or I lucked it for a well fitting one.

The only thing you might find is that mounting it on the back of the tray like your pici shows doesn't work when it comes to sticking it to the mat so you'll either have to cut the mat or mount it on the flat. I ended up mounting mine flat and angling towards the driver then cut the tray part of the dash mat to sit over the top. My etag sits in the gap between the back of SG and the back of the tray, it doesn't need to stop the SG moving because of the tape and velcro but if SG moved at all it would stop it.

Hey guys, after lurking for ages on this forum, this is my first post!:sarcastic:
My question is on getting the xgauge boost reading on my D40 AT Navara.
The MAP reading works fine, and subtracting sealevel (in my case) pressure from the MAP reading does indeed correspond to the boostgauge reading.

I used the codes from Ample Oudoors/Scangauge Australia first:
686AF1010B into the TXD screen;
0441850B0000 in the RXF screen;
2808 in the RXD screen;
00910064FF6D (sealevel) in the MTH screen.

Didn't work. Then substituted for TXD the following, supposedly for CR engines: 07E0010B.

No luck either.
Can any of you help out on this?:sad:

Thanks,

Serge.

Last edited:
Found it! PID's switched to "supported"! Not sure why this would make a difference though (that's why I never tried it earlier)....

Works like a charm.
With regards to AT temp, it looks likes there's a bung on the tranny, but no sensor.

Last edited:
So having had SG for two Nullarbor trips now I've begun to grow increasingly reluctant to rely on it over the figures I can do in my head and definitely over the figures I can do with a pen and paper.

As stated above these gauges (all that read ECU fuel figures not just SG) are only ever going to be as accurate as the person setting them up. If you make any errors in setting them up the figures for LPH LPK and AVG will be effected. Such mistakes are not entering the engine size right, not entering the fuel capacity right, not choosing the right fuel type and any other user settings which tell these units about your vehicle as well as not entering the full input correctly.

Doing partial fills will also create some error, however these errors go some ways to righting themselves with in a fill or two if all settings are correct.

However one of the biggest ways to create an error is by not using the same pump as they state in the book, or using a mixture of high and low flow pumps (diesel only obviously).

I have noticed that using low flow pumps and dribbling the last bit in because they create less froth than high flow pumps does increase accuracy however even using the same high flow pump all the time will have some effect due to the froth factor being different each time.

Using a mix of high and low flow pumps always has an effect due to the froth factor. If you can wait the time it takes for the froth to go down you can possibly fill with a little more accuracy but that's not always possible.

And the biggest factor is making all these readers inaccurate is that you never know for sure that the 80 liters you put in is actually 80 liters. Sure servos have a legal requirement to not rip people off but like everything there will be some percentage of allowable error and this allowable error although small can make the difference in your fuel readings. Add to this servos in the middle of nowhere, servos that can get away with not being scrutinized and you have the potential for some quite erratic figures.

I'm not going to label any one servo as a cheat or one that has pumps that aren't accurate because that would probably be a legal mind field but having filled up at a number of servos in the last few weeks and not always having the choice of bowser the continual error from the pump alone is enough to make differences of 2 LPH at times.

I still wont get rid of my SG because it is handy for quite a number of things but there is no way I'll trust it (or any other such reader) 100% percent when traveling places where fuel is scarce.

Well I thought I would dig up a very old topic. I see a few of the old time forum members were newbies at the time. Sooo very polite. :love sign:

Just wondering whether those with D40's who were initially happy with their ScanGauge 11, are still happy & would purchase one again after using them for a couple of years?

I sent the Aust distributor a message to confirm whether the current version is completely compatable with the (my) D40 although I am probably after an answer that they cannot provide.

It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

Yes I am still happy with mine, we've had a few fights and disagreements but typical of machines they always win in the end and there is no room for human error when fighting with such an inanimate object.

Sure SG is missing a few things which many people would find handy like gearbox temp but on the whole it's a useful item (when set up right). I've got the fuel consumption and "live" reporting down to within .1 LPH accuracy (as measured against a calculator and fuel usage) and know that when the damn thing says there is only 5 litres left in the tank I best not park facing downhill unless the diesel pump is within rolling distance. (found that one out the hard way) Temps seem to be spot on and battery volts seems to be about .1V out which is understandable and more than accurate enough for most applications. However I do mainly just use mine for a real time (almost real time) fuel display, temp display and speedo corrector and for that it works just fine.

My old man has the SGe (or whatever the 'green' model is) and I doubt I'd buy one of those given the less information but I'd definitely buy a SGII again.

It should work fine in your car and I'd imagine you'll get a fairly quick response from Ample Outdoors, their service is usually really good and fast and their postage is usually only a few days when they send stuff. However from my experience I'd suggest not to expect much technical support from them as they do not appear to be able to answer anything more than basic operational questions. But the SG company in the US who creates and writes the software are usually happy to help even if you choose the local supplier for easy of future upgrades and local support.

Thanks Krafty.

Mounting it is another matter but one I will work out. I have seen where others have been mounted but I have a no drill, cut etc policy (makes me feel warm inside).

I have already got a windscreen mounted GPS, electric brake controller, 12v cigarette lighter adaptor & rear view monitor which is yet to be installed.

Not sure if this one is better although it looks a bit more industrial:

http://www.ecutalk.com/

Maybe there has been a link to it previously but I can't be bothered looking back through the pages.

There is heaps of ECU readers out there and there is a multitude of things they do, at the end of the day choosing one is all down to choosing the one that has the most features you will use. You can buy a $5 iPhone app that does something similar if that suits your needs but no one item is going to be right for everyone.

As for mounting, I've got mine in the tray on the dashboard, however there was a guy on this forum who made a bracket that mounted the SG up near the visor, I think the thread he wrote up even had the dimensions of the bracket but I don't remember who that was. Mounting is still going to come down to how much you use it. SG is quite small and easily mounted in a number of spots however if you plan on using it's speedo function to correct the factory speedo it's pointless placing it too far out of your peripheral vision, if you only want to glance at temps and fuel usage etc then being in your peripheral vision may not be a big issue.

Just like no one ECU reader being perfect for everyone, no installation spot is perfect either, but trial and error once you get it will help you decide what you like the most.

Im very happy with mine, and would happly buy another one. Was great help when I was having alternator problems. The fuel usage function is fantastic, just wish it had a "top-up" function not just a "fill-up". Its no good once you start using jerry cans.

I bought one of these on Wednesday from Ample Outdoors after reading about it in many posts, sounds like it will do what im looking for

just wish it had a "top-up" function not just a "fill-up". Its no good once you start using jerry cans.

This would be a very good function to add, not sure if it's planned or what other ECU readers might do it but being able to add partial fills would make a huge difference when using jerry cans.

However even doing several partial fills (or several jerry's etc instead of filling up each time) the consumption figures will not change dramatically, just do a top up and don't touch the SG, the fuel consumption figures will change very little because it doesn't use the fuel left to calculate those figures. Obviously you fuel to empty and hours to empty figures will change as SG thinks you tank is actually empty but other figures will not change and next time you fill up you just do a normal fill up routine and within 3 fills the "to empty" figures should have normalised.

Here is a response from Scangauge on it:

The "Tank Size" value is only used to compute "to empty" data. If you add 20 liters , just increase the "Tank Size" by 20 liters. Don't forget to set it back to the actual tank size the next time you fill it up. For instance, if your tank is 70 liters and you add 15 liters, set the "Tank Size" to 85 liters. If later you add 20 more liters, increase it to 105 liters. The upper limit is 255 liters. The next time you fill up, adjust it back to 70 liters.

As far as the calibration when you fill it. You should just skip the calibration (MORE>FILLUP>DONE) or, if you must adjust it, add the amount you added to the pump value and adjust to this. For instance, the pump says you added 50 liters, you added 20 liters from a jerry can, the ScanGaugeII says you used 72 liters. In this case adjust the ScanGaugeII to 70 liters (50+20) then press DONE.

Still CAN'T get oil press....PFFT GRRRRRRRRRR.

Write to the US for any info as most of my queries to Ample have been refered to the US so I just go straight to them now....tho going by their return emails its very unlikely we will see any other gauges added to suit our navs....hence I've recently bought a 3 pod pillar so I can have my oil press, egt and boost/vac....all of which can be on the SGII but arent.:pissedoff:

am I happy or not with the SGII ????????

Latest posts

Back