Shonky's STR [No longer Shonky's Navara - SOLD]

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey shonky, i noticed you had a ironman 2" lift on your st-r, just wanted to get a real life opinion on it not a salesman 'opinion'. im really leaning towards the ironman gear but hesitant in forking over the cash and not keen on the 'i told you so's' from the wife if aint as good as made out to be. was there any detrimental changes with onroad/town driving and seeing yours was a series 1 ST-R too, did it fix the porpoising in the front end?
prob not right place to post Q about suspension but was here n thought id ask:idea:
cheers
dan

G'day Bob,

The suspension was pretty good, the rear end was excellent, good supple ride without being too soft and uncontrolled, the front end was just ok but it will depend on the vehicle in question, mine still did porpoise a little but it was a lot better than standard, it may have been because of the extra weight I had up front too, steel bullbar, winch, and about 40Kg of under body guards may have been too much for the front shocks.

Before I decided to sell it I was looking at replacing the front shocks but just wasn't sure what to go with, I was hoping that Boss were going to bring out their adjustable for the front of the Navara but that is still up in the air as far as I know.

80 series looks nice. used to drive 1 of them on the weekends when i lived in perth, they go good offroad, bit thirsty and sluggish for my liking though

thanks for the review shonky, its hard to get a down to earth opinion with out the bullsh*t. just so much stuff out there for D22's nowadays and hard to know whats good and whats not. i havnt got as much weight up front, just bash plates and ally bar which is the biggest piece of tjm crap out. just dont want something thats gunna be a pork chop to drive around town, oh and congrats on the deal with the 80series, looks like a great truck, for a toyota....any reason for the downgrade?...sorry couldnt help it lol :big_smile:
cheers
dan

80 series looks nice. used to drive 1 of them on the weekends when i lived in perth, they go good offroad, bit thirsty and sluggish for my liking though

I love the 80 off road, did Border Tk (Vic/SA Border) and it is much more comfortable off road, as for being thirsty, yes it is but I was expecting that, and sluggish, dunno what 80 you drove but my one goes like a rocket, the 4.5ltr petrol is a good piece of kit, not sure on the exact stats, a bit over 150kw and about 380nm of torque from memory.

bob_the_welder said:
thanks for the review shonky, its hard to get a down to earth opinion with out the bullsh*t. just so much stuff out there for D22's nowadays and hard to know whats good and whats not. i havnt got as much weight up front, just bash plates and ally bar which is the biggest piece of tjm crap out. just dont want something thats gunna be a pork chop to drive around town, oh and congrats on the deal with the 80series, looks like a great truck, for a toyota....any reason for the downgrade?...sorry couldnt help it lol
cheers
dan

LOL, everyone says its a downgrade, but to be honest I love the 80 already, dunno why, just some cars you connect with, some you don't, I never did with the Navara, it was always just a car to me, never felt any passion about it, as for the reason for the change, financial reasons (cut some debt) and a growing family.

Some fun that was had in the 80 on Border Tk.
IMG_3572.jpg

Anyone looking for ideas.

Dave did a great job on this D22.

However not sure where it ended up.

Back