Show the temp in your dash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We actualy did a lot of research into this about 18 months ago and played with different Themisters and varisters (I think thats what they are called) and we could never get it to read correctly.In the end we just bit the bullet and did a group buy and got them for i beleive it was $100 shipped. The US trucks dont have them so we only have the European models to go by. We also had guys there work on the issue and even though we could get close none could get it spot on. Almost like they used a custom unit.NFI
At the end of the day we did give in but we did find that extra wiring was needed if you wanted to run this in a 4x2 .

Considering how out of whack speedos and everything are in this case close would be good enough. In the real world driving along the highway it's not like you would notice a difference of a few degrees from inside the cab anyway.

My idea behind making it work was more just to keep a rough idea of outside temp against engine temp on longer trips but I don't really have any intention of giving more money to Nissan for such a privledge

I'm used to speedos and odos being out, haven't had a car in more than 10 years with an accurate speedo which is why I drive more by the tacho than the speedo, but the tacho isn't good at telling the temperature.

If you can find anything I'll be glad to have a look because right now I'm figuring $100 is better spent on window tinting than a thermometer.

When I saw this thread I rang the dealer and told him the part number and said "Put that thing in my car!".

The reason: if I"m driving along happy as Larry on a nice warm day heading into Victoria and I get into the alpine region, I'd like a little warning that my toes are going to fall off if I open the door. I'd also like some idea that it's so stinking hot outside that for everything's sake, I ought to be a little more conservative with the vehicle and not try to maintain speed up steep hills etc.

As for the wheels, I know the answer to that.

The Navara is sold to the Europeans and Brits with 17" alloy rims. Somewhere between the factory in Spain and the Australian dealers (might be the dealers themselves), the rims are changed for 16" but the speedo drive in the transmission is NOT changed.

As you guys probably all know (but I'll "say" it for those that don't), reducing the rim diameter will reduce the circumference of the tyre and therefore one revolution of the wheel travels less distance. The speedo, calibrated for the larger wheel, *thinks* you've gone further than you have, and faster than you are. Hence a speedo reading of 110 is actually about 98-99.

Hopefully I won't get a chance to test this: I told my dealer that I knew all this and wanted him to make sure that the speedo was accurate, because I want an accurate odometer. He acknowledged the practice and said he'd make sure the speedo was set correctly.

We'll see ... I should get to see the new car on Monday afternoon, although I won't be able to take it - it's a meet with the auto electrician, where I'll be asking for 6mm wire on my brakes & auxilliary power, and a pair of 30 amp thermal fuses protecting it all. Delivery should be later in the week.

on that note i'm slightly confused...

so your saying that even though the factory car (well what we buy from the dealers) reads over, the odo is correct? or its incorrect?

i fitted some larger tyres and also purchased a scangauge. the scangauge seems to be reading a different number of km's to the dash odo, also i had to put the scangauge speed up by 9% so it'd read the correct speed.

so whats right? the dash or the scan gauge or neither due to the 16 inch rims being fitted instead of the EU 17 inchers?

cheers

Wearing rubber, loosing or gaining pressure (including the change in pressure as the tyres get hot) have an effect on the accuracy of speedo's too. The effect of each one by itself may be negligible but all together they could easily throw the accuracy of your speedo out and while manufactures are allowed to build such large tolerances in them they will.

I've never found a dealer who will guarantee the cars they sell will have accurate speedos, I've found dealers who promise they will fix the inaccuracies but they never have, most dealers can't even get a simple fuel gauge to read accurate.

Drive by the tacho checked against the GPS and it doesn't matter how accurate the speedo is, plus you have the added advantage that if the speedo ever does stop working you can still drive at the speed limit to get where you are going.

Guess thats why I'm also of the thinking that an outside temp gauge doesn't have to be exactly accurate. If there is any fear of me loosing my toes on the frozen ground I'm fairly sure I'll know about it before I step out of the car and the same when I get out of the car at Eucla where my feet could melt as they hit the concrete. Ball park figures and looking out the window are good enough for deciding which shoes I need to put on.

The vehicle's speedo was designed to be fairly accurate on 255/65 R17s (the tyre size that the vehicle ships with).

When the tyres are changed to the 16" ones that we get, the speedo over-reads the speed by between 10-15%. Your car really only needs its speedo drive changed (or adjusted - in my old L300, you could just extract the drive unit, turn it, and re-insert it for the new wheel size). That should solve both your speedo and your odometer and should allow you to reset the Scanguage.

Unless, of course, you're not running the standard 16" tyres any more! :)

lol

stock car came with 195! now got 225's. with the 195's the speedo ran 5km/h over all the time. after putting the bigger wheels on it seems dead on. i was doing 110 and got pulled over by a cop saying i was doing a 109, so 1km/h out is pretty good.

i just still wonder which is correct, scangauge or my odo? looks like i'm going to have to mark out a 100m strip with the gps and compare them both.

And has anyone changed their speedo drive gear, which number of teeth and what are the results?

Old Tony...as youve mentioned, where do you get your drive gear from.

Please let us all know how you go with the dealer setting up your speedo on your new ute.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd believe and trust your GPS over and above everything else, then use that as your guide to set everything else too. But unfortunately it's hard to convince a dealership that your GPS should be trusted over their equipment if you're relying on them to make any changes.

I'd believe and trust your GPS over and above everything else, then use that as your guide to set everything else too. But unfortunately it's hard to convince a dealership that your GPS should be trusted over their equipment if you're relying on them to make any changes.

Agreed ... as long as the satellite coverage is good, and the warfare (including exercises) is minimal. I've had my satnav report to me that for a fleeting moment, my Commodore moved about 1,200 metres in a second.

Made me feel really good. I wasn't even wearing a helmet!

In general though, that's what I'll be relying on and if the dealer doesn't do as I ask (I'll be testing it with my satnav device to be sure) then I'll do it myself.

And has anyone changed their speedo drive gear, which number of teeth and what are the results?

Old Tony...as youve mentioned, where do you get your drive gear from.

Please let us all know how you go with the dealer setting up your speedo on your new ute.
Cheers

I forgot to get back to this thread after I'd discovered the answer, my apologies!

The sensor on the gearbox in the Nav is electronic - it only sends revolution pulses through to the ECU. The ECU then works out how fast you're going. I suppose it could also use this raw data for traction control.

Anyway, there's no gear to pull out and turn like the older cars. You need a box from Jaycar to change the signal heading to the ECU. Nissan don't like the box, they won't make changes themselves because "the speedo is as accurate as ADR requires".

I've not looked at the Jaycar box - I'm using my satellite navigation to give me speed info more than the dash, which looks to be reading about 12% higher than actual.

Agreed ... as long as the satellite coverage is good, and the warfare (including exercises) is minimal. I've had my satnav report to me that for a fleeting moment, my Commodore moved about 1,200 metres in a second.

The only two glitches I've ever suffered with my GPS is that it couldn't work out a path between Petersborough SA and Renmark SA however once we got moving it found the way and even told me I had to get on and off a ferry at Morgan.

The other glitch was trying to sending me from Edithburg SA via Port Wakefield to Ceduna because it didn't know the road going north west was a 100 zone so it calculated the distance based on the other road being 100ks was quicker.

My sat Nav has been brilliant on the trips I've done, I lost signal twice across the Nullarbor but regained it in about 30 secs and so far haven't been sent on wrong paths or got lost and the speed's always been the same as the hand held GPS we use in the boat so I assume thats pretty bloody close to right as well.

Complete Installation Instructions

I thought I'd post up complete installation instructions for this - if you've got a D40 Dual Cab, it's a piece of cake. If you don't, you can look where indicated and see if there's a socket waiting for this little gem. Let the instructions begin!

Step 1: Procure a sensor. Pic 1 is the sensor in its packaging, with the Nissan part number visible. It's not a large item - it's about 25mm long.

Step 2: Open thy bonnet. Having done so, stand there and look down the front just behind the grille to see something like Pic 2. I've indicated where the socket sits.

Step 3: Insert the sensor. It only goes in one way thanks to little ridges on 3 sides. There are two small pins inside the sensor that go into the 4-pin socket. When you're done, yours should look like mine in Pic 3. You can close your bonnet now.

Step 4: Reset the dash. It's a piece of cake - before you do, if you measure fuel mileage, note down the km in your trip meter(s) because this info will be lost. Take a look at Pic 4 - see the fuse to the left of the removal tool? Remove it, count to 10, put it back in.

Step 5: Turn on your ignition and marvel at your temperature appearing on the dash - Pic 5!

Couldn't be easier. Enjoy! Don't forget to reset your clock (turn knob left to adjust hours, turn it right to adjust minutes).

Attachments

• Ambient_sensor_in_package.jpg
    Ambient_sensor_in_package.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 911
  • Ambient_sensor_mounting_location.jpg
    Ambient_sensor_mounting_location.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 916
  • Ambient_sensor_installed.jpg
    Ambient_sensor_installed.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 696
  • Ambient_sensor_fuse_to_reset_dash.jpg
    Ambient_sensor_fuse_to_reset_dash.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,608
  • Ambient_sensor_working.jpg
    Ambient_sensor_working.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 637
do you reckon you would be able to take a better pick of the actual plug that the sensor plugs into, found a empty plug on the kingcab that might be the one for the ambient temp sensor

do you reckon you would be able to take a better pick of the actual plug that the sensor plugs into, found a empty plug on the kingcab that might be the one for the ambient temp sensor

No go for kingCabs and probably ST as well. There's no wiring because it's a different dash cluster.

so what would those empty plugs be on either side of the radiator in the engine bay, they have different ends on them so i didnt think they would be both for the same thing,

Back