Show the temp in your dash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not 100% sure what part number/brand it is or even if it's NTC or PTC. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if it's got any markings on it and let you know.
The hottest temp I saw on it was 37deg C while radio was saying 36 and coldest so far is 6 and another temp gauge was reading the same.
As for cold where I live the coldest we ever see in winter is around -3deg C but I do alot of work out of town and one of the places I quite often go gets down to around -15 ( have photo proof of -18 in my last vehicle) so will be interesting to see if it's just as close down low.

Dammit if yours reads anything in the negative it will be fine for me, I never plan on getting my arse so cold that the gauge needs to read negative numbers.

check out mouser.com i had a hard copy catalogue they sent me but i think the mrs has thrown it out, probably told me too many times to put it away.
i needed a thermal fuse for my honda mdx rear a/c, they had the perfect one, i got 8 posted to oz for like $20, honda wanted around $300 for resisator/fuse assembly. did repair myself about 12 months ago and hasn't missed a beat since.

We've found two Aussie suppliers of thermistors that may be suitable however none are exactly Nissan spec so far as our theory tells us but there may be a way around that by using a resistor in series with the thermistor, just a matter of which resistor.

I'd be willing to bet a small variable pot can be used to "tune" it, and then just read the value off later with a multimeter and hit the local Electronic Dick. Good stuff!

There is no tuning needed it either works or it doesn't. Once you get there resistance at the nominal temperature then it has to be right. You can't tune a thermistor to make it more or less accurate.

It basically comes down to one thermistor that works in the temp ranges Nissan require and if you can't get the exact thermistor then adding a resistor could make a different thermistor work in the mid range but more than likely not in the lower and higher ranges, given that thermistors are usually something between about -20 and 140 degrees then reading close to accurate at 25-30 might be ok but unless it's exactly right it will more than likely read out the lower or higher it gets.

I haven't got a genuine part to test and get the figures from but according to the manual and the information supplied in it putting a meter on a genuine part will only reveal that a chain electronic store in this country will be little to no help.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you regarding my thermistor.
It doesn't have anything stamped on it (Prob because it's to small) but it's red in colour with a gold piece on the tip.
I vaguely remember the guy saying something about different colours relate to different specs at the time of purchasing it.
See if you can find one locally but if not sing out and I'll get one and post it over for you to try if ya like.
As for the fitting side of things I just pushed it into the the factory clip then got a wee platic container and fitted it over the hole thing then covered in insulation tape so it was kind of water proofed then used a cable tie to attach it the the place where the factory one would normally sit.

And thats about all the work I was hoping to do. If we get nowhere soon I might just take up that offer. Thanks JPMC

anymore word on this? not really keen on paying nissan such cash. cheaper to buy a digital thermometer, not as nice but same diff.

I'm still in the process of ordering the thermistor my calculations have suggested is the one to go for. Last time I checked the one I was after wasn't available in Aus and I was waiting till someone got it in but I haven't had time to check lately.

The other day someone from O/S alerted me to another Nissan Ambient Temp sensor which wasn't for the Nav but had small black box, and a cable with the exact connector on it that the Nav needs. It was about $22 US plus postage but there was no guarantees, however when I get a chance and run out of other options I might get my mate to look into the O/S option.

Nismo, we're talking different things here. The temp guage we're looking at in Matt's picture shown above is the ambient (outside air) temperature. Nothing to do with the car.

The water temperature is monitored by the ECU through a thermistor. From what I can see in the manual, if it goes over temp, the engine warning light comes on. There's no indication of an audible warning, so what you've found is a great gadget for those of us that sometimes don't pay attention to every instrument!

Thankfully I'm yet to get any error codes or ECU warnings but in previous cars the ECU has always had a general audible warning, no warning specific alarms like headlights on or doors open just an alarm that goes off at the same time as the ECU or engine light comes on. I can't imagine why there wouldn't be an audible alarm when the ECU sees a problem that it believes warrants a flashing light and high or low water temps should be serious enough to warrant a flashing light.

I'm also not willing to test the theory that an audible warning should be present but such a thing would be so easy to implement into an OBD scanner it's a wonder Scangauge haven't thought of it.

cheers guys...yep my misunderstanding sorry..thought the temp was a bit low lol...thought he just kicked the car over thus low temp.

yea i had 2x vehicles thermostats fail and realised the temp gauge in the red...luckily i saw it before i blew a gasket or crack a head.

i def dont want to replace the YD25 motor ;-(

As far as I am aware it flashes at 3C and below but thats all. Have seen mine get to 43 and nothing happens .

This is true but it also stops flashing again at -4 deg and below and then stays constant all the way back up and then starts flashing again if you drop back down below 3 deg until you hit -4 deg again.

Coldest I've seen so far on mine is -7 deg. and winters only just starting.

If you are talking about the temp then go through the entire read and see what's involved. If you're talking about something else let us know what that something else is you want in the dash

Back