Snorkles=cleaner air=bullshite!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Results just in:

Test scenario: Vehicle stationary
: OEM snorkle head/scoop removed
: Engine @ operating temp.. 88 deg C
: 2008 2.5 L CRTD
: Air intake temp...................32 deg C
: OEM paper element
: using "TURBOMETER.tm. wind speed indicator @
the head/scoop upper joint.

AIRSPEED...........KPH ........ F/min

@idle ............... 26.08...... 1,150

@1000rpm ...... 43.52..... 1,950

@2000rpm ..... 53.6..... 2,300

@2500rpm ..... 72.3...... 2,950

@3000rpm ...... 84.8 ...... 3,650.

Turbometer accurate to +/- 2kph.

Come to your own conclusions.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Krankin, awesome .. so let's muck around with those for a minute.

@ 2,000rpm the vehicle is doing about 100km give or take tyre size differences. That's almost double the air speed in the tube, so if there was a direct input of air, at 100km/h you'd notice some difference because of the ram effect.

@ 1,000rpm the vehicle is only going at about the same speed as the air anyway, so there'd be no difference.

In all honesty, given the size of the intake, it's not going to give much advantage at all, you'd have to have a larger opening with little in the way to achieve any noticeable results, and the turbo is going to stand in the way of any noticeable differences anyway.

But for those that need some adjustment of the nerve just inside the outer elbow joint (hereinafter referred to as the "funny bone") ...

Maybe it's time to cut out the bottoms of ice cream containers and epoxy these around our snorkel intakes (I have seen this, and next time I see it in town I'm taking a bloody photo of it). For true connoisseurs, use an empty flagon-bottle or better (Brown Muscat Royal Reserve goes down fast, ask in any local park after dark). Take care not to cut yourself on the sharp edges. You may not get any REAL performance improvements, but the quantity of cheap booze consumed will at least guarantee that SOMETHING will move fast. And I do recommend that you drive with your windows DOWN, and try to turn your head to the side when that fast moving stuff decides to make its presence known.

(I do not endorse drink-driving in any way, but I do endorse comedy and the ridicule placed upon those that imbibe and drive, as the humour in this post is intended to target - if you don't get that, you didn't get the joke properly, so read it again when you're sober!)

Thanks Krankin, awesome .. so let's muck around with those for a minute.

@ 2,000rpm the vehicle is doing about 100km give or take tyre size differences. That's almost double the air speed in the tube, so if there was a direct input of air, at 100km/h you'd notice some difference because of the ram effect.

@ 1,000rpm the vehicle is only going at about the same speed as the air anyway, so there'd be no difference.

In all honesty, given the size of the intake, it's not going to give much advantage at all, you'd have to have a larger opening with little in the way to achieve any noticeable results, and the turbo is going to stand in the way of any noticeable differences anyway.

But for those that need some adjustment of the nerve just inside the outer elbow joint (hereinafter referred to as the "funny bone") ...

Maybe it's time to cut out the bottoms of ice cream containers and epoxy these around our snorkel intakes (I have seen this, and next time I see it in town I'm taking a bloody photo of it). For true connoisseurs, use an empty flagon-bottle or better (Brown Muscat Royal Reserve goes down fast, ask in any local park after dark). Take care not to cut yourself on the sharp edges. You may not get any REAL performance improvements, but the quantity of cheap booze consumed will at least guarantee that SOMETHING will move fast. And I do recommend that you drive with your windows DOWN, and try to turn your head to the side when that fast moving stuff decides to make its presence known.

(I do not endorse drink-driving in any way, but I do endorse comedy and the ridicule placed upon those that imbibe and drive, as the humour in this post is intended to target - if you don't get that, you didn't get the joke properly, so read it again when you're sober!)

Tony, are you Irish by any chance?

I once mad an air ram up on one of my mini's, made it out of plywood and BOG. ugliest dam thing you would every seen. Did it help? yes, but when you've only got 50hp any small improvements are really noticeable.
I can see a use for air rams on normally aspirated engines but I cant see it being applicable on a turbo engine.

I got a snorkel cause it look koool!!! And at 41 anything that makes me look totally way kool is like, kool! :)

Cheers Brad

P.S, maybe I should have said fully sik!

True but it does help bring down EGT's in turbo motors
True,
but more so the fact that a cooler denser charge makes better power,
and thats another reason why i got one installed.

They (genuine) look the part, provide cooler intake air and in "my case" keep my filter cleaner longer.

Yeah i remember seeing a vid of a Japanese tuning shop working up a second gen RX7, they removed one headlight and attached the air intake to the hole with a purpose made cone piece. It would have to be highly tuned etc to benifit tho i reckon

I reckon the snorkles with forward facing head would have a ram effect for sure.
I bought about 2m of industrial vacuum hose to do a cold air feed for my1st gen rx7, driving back on the hwy at 80kph, if you pointed one end out the window and the other end into your face, the wind coming out of it was as strong as anything, no matter what kind of bends you put in it and despite the fact the vaccum hose's concertina walls should impede flow. it was just like having your head right out the window, hard to breath even.
Also, afiak, any positive pressure in the intake will theoretically help turbo efficiency. They run on pressure difference, so any air pressure at all at the snorkle head should theoretically help cancel any negative pressure from the compressor intake.
Im not sure what is controlling boost levels in a navara, but all things being equal it should result in higher boost levels.
Its a bit hard to tell on the navara tho, i dont know whats controlling the boost and not running a chip or anything, but on the rx7, the cold air feed was good for about 1.5psi boost increase in cold weather , just having ambiet air temps at the air filter (not ram, boxed in but not air-tight). Also changes to the exhaust make massive differences to boost levels in the rx, its amazing how sensitive a turbo engine is to increases in efficiency when theres no bullshit emissions controls and superfluous electronics in the way.

Results just in:

Test scenario: Vehicle stationary
: OEM snorkle head/scoop removed
: Engine @ operating temp.. 88 deg C
: 2008 2.5 L CRTD
: Air intake temp...................32 deg C
: OEM paper element
: using "TURBOMETER.tm. wind speed indicator @
the head/scoop upper joint.

AIRSPEED...........KPH ........ F/min

@idle ............... 26.08...... 1,150

@1000rpm ...... 43.52..... 1,950

@2000rpm ..... 53.6..... 2,300

@2500rpm ..... 72.3...... 2,950

@3000rpm ...... 84.8 ...... 3,650.

Turbometer accurate to +/- 2kph.

Come to your own conclusions.
Cheers.

Hey krankin, massive props for doing the test, but you should have done it with the snorkle head ON.
The area of the inlet would dramatically change the inlet velocity for the same amount of air-flow, ie, if the opening in the head is twice as big as the opening without the head, then at, for eg, 2500rpm, the air-speed would be more like 36kph, meaning you'd get alot more of a ram effect at hwy speeds.
All just for aguments sake tho, it seems these navaras dont respond to much at all untill at least a chip is involved.

Latest posts

Back