Stalling at cold starts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Beautie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, back again. Got Black beauty look at a couple of weeks ago. Because it was stalling at first when cold. Had it fixed. It was the cam angle sensor mucking up. Now it started doing it again this last few days. Any ideas? Does anyone know what it might might be? Do you think it might be the same problem?
:deadhorse2:

Mine has been doin the same after i got it back from a service but i couldnt figure it out an either could nissan cus i had a chip on there.. Each morning i start it.. Head out of me drive way an bang cuts out. I had to put it in park take key out an lock the car on the key an go again an seemed fine.. But during the muster the bumps must have fix wat ever was wrong wit it.. So may be hit some dirt tracks haha.. Na would like to no wat it was...

I expect if any of the major sensors are mucking up there is likely to be a fault code logged in the ecu, have you got access to a obd2 scanner ?

Because the YD does not a have a butterfly like a petrol vehicle, the ecu is 100% responsible for keeping it running by controlling the amount of diesel it injects, so yes, it is likely to be some sensor not playing along.

Usually cold-start problems are related to glow plug issues. You need to confirm that they're coming on. Might be worth looking against the side wall near the battery - that's where the glow relay should be. One user here had cold start issues and it was their glow relay, which resembled something like a square piece of inch-thick T-bone that had been left on the BBQ about an hour too long.

came across this article in a magazine my mechanic showed me. told me to keep an eye out for any abnormal symptoms in my car.

Attachments

• IMG_20131030_093917.jpg
    IMG_20131030_093917.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 289
Great!! So if i showed this to Nissan would be under warranty to replace it ??

Ah.. Mine was doing this too.. It would throw code P0340.. I too was told, after all checks it was the timing chain..

Replaced chain.. Problem went away for a week.. then came back... Now been in the mechanics for 2 weeks trying to source area of problem.. And mines not the only one doing it..

If it was the chain, why would it only stall in the mornings?

Mate, mine was doing the same thing last week. I had it serviced & it's all good now.

Do you have a non genuine fuel filter? That's what mine was... A Nissan one got put in and we're all good now!

You're going to be completely miserable if someone cleans the earth lead on the side of the motor and the problem goes away.

I wish that was the silver bullet - but alas i've even changed the earth cables / cleaned every little on I could find - and still the error persists...

Plus, in the OP's case, why would it only happen when it's cold? Not like the earthing spot gets more conductive when the motor is warm..

It's not listed in my manual but a Google search reveals that P0990 is a "Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "E" Circuit High" (3 different sources). According to some diagnostic info I found, you should be having trouble shifting gears and may have an airbag light coming on.

Good to see there's LOTS of reliable info out there - when you find out what it REALLY means, let us know!

Hey mate, I am having a rough idle issue on cold start. Idles fine once it gets heat into it though. Has nearly stalled on me once on a cold morning.

I have changed the fuel filter (was ryco), primed before start, done the ECU and pump rest and checked the plugs. Still no luck. The only thing I haven't checked that I have read could also be the cause is the SCV. It's REALLY doing my head in.

This has just started happening to me, my wife drives car to work everyday, the other morning she said she started car it idled for a bit and then just cut out, she then had a little difficulty getting it started so pumped the accelerator pedal and eventually started, drives ok after that. Did the same thing next morning, same issue again, I checked it myself this morning, started ok, idled for 20 seconds then engine cut out, difficulty trying to start pressed accel pedal to the floor and eventually started.
Car had recently been serviced (2 weeks ago) pretty sure fuel filter was replaced, read some of Old Tony's response re changing filter, does this sound like a filter issue?

Latest posts

Back