Swags. What would you recomend?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've got a kingsize down under dingo swag. i prefer the traditional style over those dome thingos or mini tents as others have called them.

ok, so i've narrowed my choice of swag down to either a Sauls Single, or a Mr Swagman single flat swag...none of this fancy dome stuff for me!

who can help me choose?

if you want the traditional style i suggest the Down Under swag or Jolly swag. The Jolly swagman company has been around for a very long time and i know a few mates that go shooting all the time swear by them. Very well made and decent price. http://swag.com.au/

Righto...Swags...
I had a traditional style swag last weekend and spent 3 nights in it and found it to be next to useless. Why?
1. Myself, the bugs and slugs got well acquainted as they either drew blood from my prominent proboscis or crawled over it.
2. Given that canvas is waterproof and on a humid night I found there was more moisture inside the swag than outside and for 2 of the nights the canvas was tossed asides to basically sleep on a foam matress. Others that spent the night in the new style Tent swags were more than comfortable - some of them not arising until 10am.
3. Still had to spend about 20mins setting up a flyover tarp to give added protection should it rain. It did rain one morning and as I am an early riser I heard the others sleeping under flywire all give a zzzzzzpp and then snoring was heard again.

So bugger the traditional swag I'm going to go with Ridgies setup.....so long as he is willing to spoon :sarcastic:

I can't see how they are more comfortable aido, as they are made out of the same materials, and most of the good traditional style ones have a zipped mesh end to stop crawling things. Everyone has preferences, and yours should be waterproof most canvas should unless your lying in it, maybe it will need you to give it a little treatment with a waterproofing product. To be honest i sleep better in it then a lot of hotels, could be the peace and quiet out there.

I've got a Mr Swag man single Classic swag. Its pretty comfy, the only bad thing about it, mine seems to let the water in around the zipper( i was in heavy rain and in longish grass), but other than that, its sweet.

i believe im the one that aido referred to as sleeping in til 10am. i bought a cheap ebay special double swag with 3 poles and a 50mm mattress and i couldnt be happier. i used my tent over the easter holidays and pretty much hate it and would rather sleep in the swag. the good thing i found with the 3 pole setup is that it keeps the canvas off you and i was really surprised at how much room there was inside with me and the missus once i pushed her up against the wall hehehe

Ive spent a bit extra and went the Burke and wills 3 hoop swag (cant remember the name). excellent swag. 3 hoops means when it rains, you dont get wet cavas resting on your face/chest. I throw a roman inflatable mattress on top of the foam mattress and sleep warm as toast. Ive had a couple of others in the past - including the standard traditonal flat type, and rate this as the best one so far. also good to put on top of a stretcher in really wet conditions.

Anyone seen the dune swags at anaconda? $159? PVC floor?
Seemed okay.

This threadz pretty old but it come time i need to get a swag. Got a mans weekend coming soon and dont wish to lug the oztent rv4 up to lcmp just for me. Rather swag and flip the awning out over the top.

So recommendations on brands, models, price, etc.

The darcy branded stuff looks good but has a tag to go with. Ironman, roo systems, tigerz11, etc.
Fire away

I've got a Bushskins Wentworth 3 hoop swag. Only spent about 10 nights in it so far and no complaints - 3 or 4 of those were in big frosts. Plenty of room, good zips and fly screen, PVC floor, got its own canvas carry bag, $200 including delivery from an online store.

I have a Jolly, Was about the $450 mark, I,ve had it for about 7 years now. When its hot i put the hoops in and throw the full length top back for good air flow through the full length mesh, Warm in the southern winters as well. Just bought the youngest boy a burke n wills swag the coolabah model, both the younger boys now have the same swag, the clips i believe are stronger on a burke n wills swag, I know these arn,t the cheap swags but we use them for hunting and they get used for around 4 to 6 weekends a year

LOL at this thread,i caved in at the easter sales and bought a swag from Aussie disposals on sale,Hi country Howqua(one of my favourite rivers)for $169.00. Three hoops all on the out side.I thought this was a good idea if i ever had to set it up in the rain.Some swags have the middle hoop on the inside.
Pvc floor,just peg out each end and it's good to go.
Aussie disposals swags are made by Darche.
Did a bit of touring over ANZAC long weekend and left the bedding inside when i rolled it up.
Very easy when you set up.

A few guys are using the jungle reef swags off ebay and they look alright.

Last edited:
A mate has 3 of the older aussie disposals swags for him and the kids, As far as i know he,s had them for about 10 years, Never heard a bad word uttered about them.

Well thats good to hear Dave,i did have condensation one of the nights but it didn't come below the fly screen mesh.The next night i opened up the opening at the head of the swag and it was no problem.
So warm though compared to a tent.
I'll definately be using it more than a tent over the winter months.

mine gets condensation, they all do if you don,t leave a flap open a little for air flow. You are right there, swags are warm on a winters night, i have a thin twenty year old sleeping bag and i leave a single layer piece of polar fleece my wife cut for me, it gets that warm that there,s no need for a t shirt or socks

Last edited:
Hey Aido if you still looking at swags check this site out www.wild earth.com.au I picked up a couple for my boys for Chrissy and they posted to my door. Bout $200 each (Sahara nomads) came with a carry bag. My boys are happy with them they even set them up in the back yard when we don't go camping.

Latest posts

Back