Tail gate lock

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew this thread was somewhere, just kept forgetting to look for it.

I saw an 08 Nav the other day that over came the non locking tailgate by disabling the actual handle and running a wire through the panel work on the inside of the tailgate so that when the canopy door was lifted the owner could just pull the wire and unlock the tailgate.

It's a bit of a backyard mechanic fix and not as neat as buying the lock but for the cost of a bit of gal wire about 6 inches long and a small hole it's an easy way around no lock and there is no way the tail gate will ever open from the outside with or without the canopy.

Not a bad idea! Better than paying between 180-250 bucks.

My plan is to install the lock and wire it to the central locking. It's been done before and there are images posted here somewhere.

I had asked my dealer for a tailgate lock, but when my car arrived, the canopy's rear lip - which looks to be reinforced fibreglass - sat over the tailgate, preventing it from being opened.

It's true that someone could easily smash the window and open the tailgate that way.

But if they have smashed the window, they can pretty much grab what they want anyway, so we decided canopy = no need for lock.

I had asked my dealer for a tailgate lock, but when my car arrived, the canopy's rear lip - which looks to be reinforced fibreglass - sat over the tailgate, preventing it from being opened.

It's true that someone could easily smash the window and open the tailgate that way.

But if they have smashed the window, they can pretty much grab what they want anyway, so we decided canopy = no need for lock.

Any car is only as hard to steal as the closest brick but for the mongrel in the car park who's just looking for a quick pinch and run securing the canopy and tailgate is a good idea and because not all canopies keep the tailgate from opening as well as others the wire is a cheap alternative.

I know a certain model of canopy for most makes of vehicle with an opening handle on the tailgate that were made 5 years ago felt secure but if you pulled the tailgate hard enough the window locks on the canopies just gave way. Designers might have got a bit smarter these days and we can only hope that is the case.

I used an actuator and wired it in to my keyless entry so the tailgate locks when the doors lock. Did it months ago and works great !

That's probably the way I'd go about it if I ever did anything, no need for a keylock (especially not at Nissan prices) all you need is the actuator to stop the locking mechanism from operating and the only limitations on the actuator will be the physical size of which most are fairly similar. The biggest problem I reckon would be that most places seem to only want to sell the actuators in kits of 4, but that shouldn't be hard to overcome. Finding the central locking cabling might require a bit more work but it still shouldn't be that hard to find.

I fitted a genuine Nissan tail gate lock to my 2007 Narvara stx in 2007 and it didn't cost all that much,took the lock and my spare key to the locksmiths and had the lock cut to take the ignition key and it took all of about 10 mins to fit.Nissan part numbers for anyone interested .### 93477eb325 for the lock
the Part number for the outside ambient temperature sender is for the Narvara 127722-ax600 and it ends in ax610 for a Pathfinder and they both are the same and will fit both cars.:cheers!:

The biggest problem I reckon would be that most places seem to only want to sell the actuators in kits of 4, but that shouldn't be hard to overcome. Finding the central locking cabling might require a bit more work but it still shouldn't be that hard to find.

Actually that suits me fine. I have a tailgate and 3 lift-up windows to unlock.

Just about any electrical store or auto store sells some for of central locking it would just be a matter of figuring out which actuators suit you best. There probably isn't a heap of difference between them all since they probably all get imported from the same place but without actually looking I couldn't say for sure.

Central locking my canopy is not something I want so my thought was 1 person buy and split the cost between 3 others who want the actuators, but there is no doubt someone out there selling actuators in less than 4 packs. We used to have 2 spares in the garage from fitting an Autobahn kit to a ute about 15 years ago but chances are they are somewhere not to be found these days.

I'm actually going to attempt this tomorrow (weather permitting) it appears to be a fairly simple job, there might be some fiddly bits but nothing too drastic. Nissan leave us with the right mechanical bits to make it work they just don't give us the sparky bits and all we are doing is disabling the handle via a central locking kit so that it can't be opened unless the rest of the door locks are open.

I've got all the bits I need and armed with some general knowledge about where to find the wires I need I'm going to see if I can't make this work. It's been done on both the UK and the US forums (I believe the UK forums is a copy of the US) but we all know left handed tools make working on right handed trucks pointless so if there is anyone who wants me to write up a real :big_smile: version of this procedure let me know as I don't think it's been posted here.

Oh well so far no interest in a write up, thats fine I managed it all today and now my tailgate lock and unlocks with the central locking. Best $15 I've ever spent.

Mental telepathy, if you can handle the telepathy I've got the first bit covered.

I did actually take pics, it was only on my little toy compact camera (too much effort using the SLR) but they should come out ok, we had sun in Victoria today so I'm hoping that didn't ruin my wonderful photography.

Our trucks are a little bit different from the one in the post on the US forums and for that reason I chose a simpler method of cabling but all in all it was a fairly easy job. I just wish I'd washed under the car better because showering yourself in dirt every time you reach up really isn't fun, the garden sprinkler method someone mentioned the other day has merit.

yeah you say that now but the other day when you came crying to me because you got a little dirt in your hair. I spent 3 hours perming, colouring and blow drying your hair and now you want to poke fun at me getting dirty.

Latest posts

Back