the navross sas build in the making

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azza_turbo

Reaction score
so im going to start this build thread just by saying i love my d22 and don't want another 4x4 so don't even say but why not just get a patrol....

but after saying that i soon found out that the poor old navross just wasn't up to my standards...

i got the car bog stock from a dealer second hand ex-tradie ute body was fairly good few dints here and there but over all good considering it had 91,xxx on the clock when i got it, it came with ipf spotties that didn't work and a alloy bar.

drove it stock for not even a week i pulled the leafs out put an extra leaf in and reset it up 2 and a bit inches and then wound up the bars to match made a difference to it straight away i was getting addicted to 4x4 life

message popped up saying i can only do 4 photos a post so im gonna brake this up into a few posts...

Signing up to this thread - hope you done it
I abandoned my sas project after completing
All parts - wanna see this finish

A few people have done the sas on the 22 now, but a few others have taken a d22 a slipped the body on to a patrol chassis.
IMO it's the best of both worlds with out all the hassle of matching up all the running gear,
And you will end up not only with all the ratios matching, rear disc brakes, but you will end up with a coil rear end.

so i got bored with my rear step side skirts and rims so i got rid of the rear bar and side steps and made a panel to mount my number plate was looking at my number plate and found this quite funny. and painted the stock rims black

then for like $150 i got a set of 6 31"s and did a bit of wheelin

but being second hand they gave me a few issues

yeah iv seen a few of them done i kinda wanna keep as much navara as possible... no real reason... but also iv just re done the rear end (to come in further posts) i just think the front end is junk and i can make it better by building alot of the stuff i need my self iv already flipped the diff and welded it all up it really just needs new bearing and seals... well and a locker so all that doesn't bother my cause if i got a patrol id have to do all that any way

side note, whats the go with this 4 photo rule and mods having to approve all my posts its making me take longer to get you guys up to speed on the navross?

It's only because you have only made a few posts, and all threads have the four pic rule not sure why..
Once you have made a few more posts you won't need constant approval.

as Nathan said you need 10 posts before your posts with pics or attachments don't need moderating
it helps us control spam
you could go to the pic section and comment on some pics to get your post count up
you need 5 more
the 4 pics per post is std for all members

nice ute
cheers

A few people have done the sas on the 22 now, but a few others have taken a d22 a slipped the body on to a patrol chassis.
IMO it's the best of both worlds with out all the hassle of matching up all the running gear,
And you will end up not only with all the ratios matching, rear disc brakes, but you will end up with a coil rear end.

Nath you said some do body swap over gu chassis? You know some build threads you can share? What about d40 body?

ohh well the 4 pic rule isn't too bad just means ill have to break up my thread more

any who moving on with the life of my car soo far

so by this stage i had done heaps of 4wding and was geting good at reading tracks and i had done this one realy sick mud hole at night when we went to get fire wood but by the day time i got a bit to over confident and hit a hole to fast and filled my little dz30 with water so home she went toed the whole way home buy a $1000 surf :/

i have no idea why i was smiling here considering my car was full of water all the carpet got pulled out and tossed in the bin and a new vinyl floor was ordered off ebay no the best fit but still a lot better then carpet

got it home and striped the motor down inspected everything and put it all back together bled the injectors turned the key and bam she was running about a week later and she is all good still to this day a lucky escape for sure so i decided not to take any chances and build my own air box and snorkel... this was meant to be getting done that Wednesday but i had to take it out to show off :/

iv had water come over the bonnet many times with this bad boy and never had any issues at all. had many people ask where they can buy one from haha, i tell them its a home job and all of a sudden all my mates wanted one custom made.

it would probably be a bigger job to do a chassis swap than sas, probably be easier to chop a patrol into a dual cab.

will be keeping an eye on this thread.

it would probably be a bigger job to do a chassis swap than sas, probably be easier to chop a patrol into a dual cab.

will be keeping an eye on this thread.

depends on wether you want to keep the rear end with leafs and drum brakes and then have all the trouble matching diff ratio's ect,
I have only read about people who have done the sas only to not have it work correctly. look at "solid d22" i dont think he ever got his working correctly after a couple of years of spending money and stuffing around, and he started with a Calmini kit and still stuffed it.

Not that i have done either, but i have seen more successes stories from body swaps then sas, and at least then you have a tough driveline and a good coli rear end as well.
I have seen "Benos" D40 and the work that went into the rear 5 link is unbelievable!! admittedly though its a FARKEN awesome rig.

I think both are a hell of allot of work and both will take a shit load of time and $$ to get right, i just think i would rather move some mounts and run a few wires then do all the other fabrication work to ultimately end up with the same wheel track.

I'm wondering why everybody looks for the rare dana 44 for the sas and no body thinks to use the dana 30, plenty strong enough for the navara lack of power, the ratios come in 4.27 to match up to the rear 4.3 and there's that many aftermarket parts you can buy cheap from the USA it's not funny. I think a patrol diff is overkill for a navara, there's probably 50mm worth of clearance you lose over a dana 30.

its not impossible to match the ratio's!
soldid d22's thread just comes to an end, that doesn't mean he never finished it, pretty much all the work was done and i reckon he would have sorted it out, shame we never got to heat the full story.

get a bloody good amount of flex out of the calmini kit, the patrol suspension would need extra work to equal that.

Latest posts

Back