The V6 Diesel D40 has arrived.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How was the test drive? must have been OK to order one.
What persuaded to make the big step.

The gearbox was a smooth as a babies A$$ and the engine was really quite. I currently have a 2007 prado with the D4D engine that i have owned from new, but this new V6 leaves it for dead. I only wish it had the 180L fuel tanks of the prado. Got to love only filling up once a month. We took our van for a long trig last year (trip around Australia) but found the 127KW/410Nm was really only JUST enough. I was looking at 200 series Landcruiser but at just under $100k it was hard to justify for the shorter trips we will be doing now that we are home. The Navara came with no luxury car tax or FBT, then add in the Medium fleet discount and ABN discount and the fact that i knew what i wanted to pay and i think i got a great deal. Yes Nissan know that they have something unique as far as the power of this thing, so until the new V6 Diesel comes for the Prado and Hilux i think the price will remain high.

I am finding this whole V6 Navara situation quiet odd - no publicity. I read Frekkajuice's comments about the test drive, so this morning I rang Springwood Nissan and ended up going there and having a test drive. More on that experience later. Anyway they told me that they have had V6's in stock since the 12th of February and sure enough three of them have been sold and a black one is still available for immediate delivery. The white demo vehicle is not for sale, it will remain a demo until they receive more stock towards the end of April.
I have been tracking the HOEGH Shanghai on the internet since it left Durban in South Africa thinking that the first V6's to hit Australia for sale to the general public were on that ship. By the way the HOEGH Shanghai can carry 7,800 vehicles.
I don't know what other dealers have cars in stock but I am led to believe there are others. There has been no advertising on and Nissan websites, no press releases, you can Google(AU) Nissan Navara V6 Diesel and the only information is about test drives last year and most of thos posts are around November. If you go back through this thread some guys have had cars on order for months!!!! By the way the HOEGH Shanghai docks in Melbourne tonight, Port Kembla on Wednesday and Brisbane on Friday.

The Test drive. Everything that Frekkajuice said is absolutely correct. The vehicle is soooo quiet. I think that there is more noise deadening material between the cab and the engine bay. Once outside the vehicle you can hear the typical noise associated with a diesel but considerably quiter than my Nav (2008 D40). The transmission change is seamless. It is so smooth I could not tell what gear it was in. The ride is a lot more comfortable than my current Nav. The power was superb. Great acceleration of the mark. Zero to 60km very quick and very quiet. At a 100 km/h you could hear a pin drop it was that quiet. Absolutely no engine or road noise.
Summary: I was impressed. I'll just have to wait for mine now - damm.

Doug

So far the this new Nav sounds awesome and this is being backed up by the few that have driven it. Will be interesting to see if it develops any issues that have plagued the 2.5TD such as completely fabricated fuel figures, timing chain failures, intermitent turbo failures, etc. Will also be interesting to see how the auto holds up to the torque as I noticed these motors are punching out the same torque as a brand new Commo SS V8!!

So far the this new Nav sounds awesome and this is being backed up by the few that have driven it. Will be interesting to see if it develops any issues that have plagued the 2.5TD such as completely fabricated fuel figures, timing chain failures, intermitent turbo failures, etc. Will also be interesting to see how the auto holds up to the torque as I noticed these motors are punching out the same torque as a brand new Commo SS V8!!

Can't blame Nissan for Australian Standards specifying a fuel consumption testing regime which can't be recreated in real life.

Yeah, all you would have to do would be run the test with the DPF nice and fresh and it will turn in figures that a real life driver who has regens going on will never be likely to match.

However having said that, our R51 has roughly averaged the official average ever since new (2005 model so no DPF) and in much the same conditions my diesel Xtrail is also turning in bang on the official average. No idea how often it does a regen though, the work provided Captiva I used to drive regenned up to several times a day but I have not actually ever picked the Xtrail doing it. I am sure it must have done some but it is more subtle about it. The Holden sounded like a truck when regenning!

This V6 engine has been running around in Renault cars for about 18 months now and I have not been able to find any bad news about them. I am not for a moment suggesting there is none, it's just I have not found any so far.

The fuel label on the front windscreen indicated 9 point something. I can't recall exactly but I think is was 9.4 or there abouts. The label on my Nav when I bought it was 10 point something. So if they are using the same formula as they did in 2008 to determing the fuel economy it would appear that the V6 has a better fuel economy that the 2.5D. I guess time will confirm or refute that.

I wasn't impressed with the tub liner. I have had tub liners in 2 SS utes I owned and when I bought the Nav I got a sprayed liner (Xtreme Coatings) I will never buy a drop in liner again. After almost 3 years not a mark on the spray liner. The first thing with the new one is to toss the drop in liner and get a spray job. On the V6 the liner has 2 square holes cut in the liner at the bottom front to accommodate the floor tie down rails. The first drop of moisture in the tub and it will run through the holes and under the liner. Could end up a mess under there after a while.
The storage trays (2) under the rear seats were a nice touch. They are both covered with a black course weave net that stretches over the trays to keep everything snug inside.
The tail gate locks with the car's central locking system and the lid locks with a key from a central locking position on the top of the lid.

Doug

This V6 engine has been running around in Renault cars for about 18 months now and I have not been able to find any bad news about them. I am not for a moment suggesting there is none, it's just I have not found any so far.

Doug

Hi and thanks for the summary on the v6, one thing i am interested in as i also have one coming tonight on the Heogh Shanghi into melbourne then another 7 days or so to here in tassie, sorry slightly off track there. i was interested in whether they had an in dash gps audio system in them. I Believe they are similar to the series 4 2.5's would that be a fair assumsion.

cheers,
worm.

Hi Worm, Definately no in-dash GPS. I have looked at both the V6 and current model D40 and the audio unit looks the same in both vehicles.

Hi ozlauterbasher, did you happen to get any photo's? The report is sounding good, still have to wait at least another week for mine.

The fuel label on the front windscreen indicated 9 point something. I can't recall exactly but I think is was 9.4 or there abouts. The label on my Nav when I bought it was 10 point something. So if they are using the same formula as they did in 2008 to determing the fuel economy it would appear that the V6 has a better fuel economy that the 2.5D. I guess time will confirm or refute that.

For what its worth the sticker on the window and the testing they conduct is the same testing done on all vehicles in Australia. There is no ideal testing conditions, there is no light footed driver who feathers the throttle and drives sedately, there isn't even an on road test it's all done by calculations and known quantities. Some people don't consider this real world testing and therefore always assume the sticker is going to be unachievable but the testing (fair or not) is done this way to ensure that no vehicle gains any advantage or disadvantage through weather or road conditions.

It's understandable that the V6 has better economy that the 2.5TD just like it's understandable that the 140KW had better economy than it's predecessor, with new engines come new technologies that improve all sorts of things. Whether or not the real world figures match the sticker at the end of the day has as much to do with the driver as anything else but under most conditions people shouldn't be disheartened if they don't match the sticker.

My dealer came by yesterday to tell me that it looks like I won't get one until JULY!!!!!.
This is after a signed order in Nov 2010. I am farking pissed off.
He is ringing around other dealers to see if they have any spare unallocated stock.

I told him about the Springwood black one, and he is going to see what he can do. Black is my least preferred colour,..but supply is tight.

As an aside, the VW dealer rang me this morning, saying that they will have available Amarok's on the 10th march.

Do you believe VW any more than Nissan....I suppose at this point having waited so long it's easier to believe VW than Nissan, although to me the VW only compares in price and it seems strange someone would consider buying a V6 Diesel then choose the VW just because it's arriving earlier, but each to their own I guess.

Yeah Tony, car salesmen have a reputation, but my dealer is a good mate and I have no doubt that he is not at fault. I have been through this same delaying crap on EVERY new Nissan that I have purchased.
What annoys me, is that the big city dealers seem to get preference, and the poor bush blokes have to wait until there is some surplus. The problem is that you have to support your local bush dealer, as that is the only way these places survive.

In regard to VW, there has been no BS. They have said all along, that the Amarok will be available in March...and it looks like they will be. The reviews on the Amarok are very good, with most saying that it is a big step foward from anything that is out there now. I'm just a bit worried about the 120kw 2 litre twin turbo engine. 120kw is a lot short of 170kw.

What annoys me, is that the big city dealers seem to get preference, and the poor bush blokes have to wait until there is some surplus.

That's not really true. Berwick Nissan is one of the biggest 4wd sellers in the country and has on numerous occasions won either top Vic seller or national seller in the 4wd market yet in mid 09 when 08 plated Nav's were still on the lots and 09's were coming across on the boats in very small numbers they still had problems getting their hands on 09 plates.

It the end of the day it comes down to a lot of factors and location really isn't a big one. Having stock they can trade other dealers with is a huge bargaining chip to get a new car in the showroom but if no one has the trading chip there is little that can be done.

In regard to VW, there has been no BS. They have said all along, that the Amarok will be available in March...and it looks like they will be. The reviews on the Amarok are very good, with most saying that it is a big step foward from anything that is out there now. I'm just a bit worried about the 120kw 2 litre twin turbo engine. 120kw is a lot short of 170kw.

I don't know about the BS from either dealer as I'm not in the market but for similar dollars the 120KW compared to 170KW is a huge difference and if someone is buying the Nav because of the power and it's super duper engine then I can't see why they'd downgrade to the Bettle Ute. But if someone is just buying because it's a 4wd ute then the power probably doesn't matter and the Bettle will work fine.

Aaahhh but does waiting for 170KW and eventually getting it give you more bragging rights and help you win the p**sing contest, that you wouldn't win with 120KW. Or does the time frame between 120KW arriving and 170KW arriving mean you P*&s earlier and for longer?

I'm not one for pissing contests (even though the extraordinary length gives me a good head start), I just need a new ute soon, as my current D40 has 95K km on it now, and will loose value quickly after reaching 100k. I really don't want to wait another 5 months! :mad::mad:

Latest posts

Back