Toowoomba Floods

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate I am so saddened to see what is going on up there and to the families that have lost there lives.One thing that will stick with me is the family stuck in there car and when the chopper returned they were gone.Being an x emergency service worker and being helpless to help anyone up there just shits me to tears.Keep your head above water mate and look after that little ray of sunshine you have mate.
I can't tell you enough how much I'm worried and thinking of all you guys up there.
Cheers Scotty.

i was standing watching that forester wash down the creek, plus the other 3 cars that went before it.

The two creeks that flow through toowoomba, actually start in toowoomba. West creek flows from kearney spring, and east creek flows from just south of the water bird habitat. Toowoomba is at the absolute top of both creek catchments so for this amount of water to fall and rage like it did in such a short distance is crazy. My water gauge in east toowoomba measured 262mm yesterday from 9am to 9am

here is some of the footage i got, and i'll put in a google earth link to show the location. it was about 200m from the council building (my work)

Herries St - Google Maps

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyLU2ZFifM[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIMbD38UVA&feature=related[/YT]

and this last video is a good collection of a heap of differen peoples videos.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do0LvsdXIU[/YT]

I've just rang my mate on the brisbane river. He lives one street from the lowest point which happens to be a bend. Told him to pack his Nav and get the hell out.

It amazes me how unprepared the state is for flooding. After 1974 you think they would have build some levies on river and Toowoomba wouldn't have the only creeks that hold all the storm water running straight through the CBD.

It is a bloody tragedy. I've been watching this and cannot fathom the sheer volume of water that is flooding you guys up there. My thoughts and best wishes are with you all, and my heart goes out to the families that have lost people and homes. Look after yourselves, and good luck.

Just went for a drive to drop father-in-law home. Toowoomba looks like a war has just swept through. Only thing missing is the Tanks rolling the streets.

For some reason there is an element of the gene pool that just can't be told. There are still people rubber-necking and getting in the way and unbelievably, there are still people trying to win a Darwin award by driving little hatch backs through flowing flood waters.

For some reason there is an element of the gene pool that just can't be told. There are still people rubber-necking and getting in the way and unbelievably, there are still people trying to win a Darwin award by driving little hatch backs through flowing flood waters.

That's one I will definitely give the coppers during the bushfires, while they did at times make it hard for us to get in and do clean up their pressure kept out the rubber neckers and problems. The downside was that many of the bush tracks we use couldn't be closed off but the majority of rubber neckers did go by road because they didn't know about the dirt tracks.

Are things easing or changing at all for you up there yet Biscuits?

this video shows just how quickly the water came up

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

I really really still cannot comprehend just how much rain fell over Toowoomba to start those rivers running through the streets. You drive down some of those streets and if someone said one day you would have 5 feet of water gushing down there, you would look at them like they were nuts.

Its just mind boggling.

One thing that shits me about these Australian disasters is that we (goverment) keep handing out the cash overseas everytime something happens and people get killed.

Miss Gillard gave 1 million dollars and Anna Bligh gave 1 million dollars.

How much did John Howard hand over to Indonesia when the Tsunami hit ?

1 Billion dollars, you read it right.

Nice to see our polies have there prioritys right.

We are the lucky country after all.

So lucky infact that we hand all our wealth overseas when something happens, the only lucky ones here are the lazy sacks of shit who dont work and keep collecting the free money there being handed.

Us "lucky" workers just get tax bills.

Rant over.

Dave.

That's definitely true, charity should start at home, but the other side of the coin also comes into play, why the hell don't we get any foreign aid.

Just lucky so many people are willing to give time, service or money when it's needed, aussies are tough and they will get through just about anything mother nature throws at us so there is hope.

That's definitely true, charity should start at home, but the other side of the coin also comes into play, why the hell don't we get any foreign aid.

I think I read somewhere that the yanks are sending help.

Those videos are amazing, the sheer volume of water is incredible.

I wish all the best to those up there.

don't get too carried away about not getting help from others.

we gave money to help third world countries survive a disaster that they couldn't do themselves. Australia has resources that other countries just don't have. 1 of which is the SES. even the yanks don't have anything like the SES and thats why so many people died in new orleans, there was no imediate action.

anyway, this is not the right time to be whinging about politics of disasters.

You guys are in deep soup.

TAKE CARE....

got me f'd why people drive into the water

namwens said:
don't get too carried away about not getting help from others.

we gave money to help third world countries survive a disaster that they couldn't do themselves. Australia has resources that other countries just don't have. 1 of which is the SES. even the yanks don't have anything like the SES and thats why so many people died in new orleans, there was no imediate action.

anyway, this is not the right time to be whinging about politics of disasters.

Well said namwens, it's action & donations to help others that makes us Aussies. Be proud of what we as a nation have done and continue to do. I only hope the same generosity is shown to those effected by the tragedy unfolding now in the floods. They'll need it.

On the donations front. Qld gov and Fed gov gave 1 million each to a charity fund. That may not seem like much but thatis on top of Federal and State natural distater funds (multi millions). So the 2 million was to kick state relief fund.

As for foreign Aid. I believe, NZ, UK, USA, Canada and some Europian countries have all offered help. You just don't hear about it as we don't need it as much as 3rd world countries. The SES is the greatest thing ever. Other countries are seeking to adopt our system because they do such a great job.

Krafty, we will be fine, i'm on a hill on the surrounds of Toowoomba, it's still pissing down but we got off lightly. The Nav is sitting safe and sound waiting to do a runner if needed. Even called ARB about a canopy and snorkel this morning with encouragment from the Mrs.

The trouble has moved down stream to Ipswich and Brisbane. Hope they do better than we did up here. Hope no more lives are lost. 32 suburbs in brisbane being evacuated. Expected flood levels for thursday will be higher than 1974.

(type on iphone, sorry for any shit spelling)

I wonder if this is enough to get The Qld coppers a helicopter. Since it has become very apparent that there is no way to search for missing people. There has been heavy reliance on news chopper and private aircraft. None of which are fitted with IR or night vision.

This is going be messy, my father in law has already been sent home and told he probably won't have work for another 3 months. I'm sure he is not alone

They rely on the Westpac 1 and 2 down here for searching.

I thought Brisbane would have a Police helicopter.

I am pretty sure Sydney police have one.

Dave.

Back