transfer oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleg

Reaction score
hi navaraowners ,wanting to change mytransfer case and gearbox oil today ,whats the best oils for the job ,thanks awfully

I use Castrol epx 80/90 in the gearbox, transfer case and front diff. Castrol lsx 85/140 in the rear diff.

oil

thanks guys ,got some penrite oil earlier ,need a small pump or sringe of some kind to get the new oil back in ,not much room for a funnel and jug

get an oil syringe. tho a few guys made a jug that connects to compressed air and blows it in.

i am pretty sure transfer case is better with ATF. quote from service manual. you can use api GL4 oil but up to you. front diff needs api GL5 oil only! dont mix those. you will get f@cked.
"Transfer fluid TX10A 2.2 2 qt Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent*2 or API GL-4*1"

oils

thanks tweak'e ,stelianos,will sort a pump/sringe out tomorrow ,super cheap sell them,diffs next weekend

You dont need a pump, just get a long piece of hose, which you can put funnel on. Put the end of the hose in the transfer case filling hole and direct the hose from under the car outside and raise the funnel above the heigh of the transfer case, pour the oil in. This is how I have done mine before, you are left with a bit of oil in the piping, but if you are keen just blow the last of it through with ya mouth after removing the funnel.

I used 75w85 castrol in my gearbox and transfer and nulon 85w140lsd in both diffs on my 2010. Trying to pump the 85w140 was awesome fun hahaha

bods, your not using LSD oil in the front diff are you ?
Yep. No problems using it in an open centre diff, but you can't use non-lsd oil in the rear diff or you will kill it... I couldn't be bothered getting 2 different types of oil and a million bottles, so just got a 4lt which did both diffs easily. They are about 1.3lt each...

caltex website says i can put gl5 ep 80w-90 in my front diff,isnt the rear diff different ?
Yes it is. You need 85w-140 LSD oil for the rear. 80w-90 lsd oil is too light and epx 80w-90 is not lsd oil so cannot be used in an lsd... you can however, use 85w-140 lsd oil in the front without issues if you choose to. I couldn't be bothered getting heaps of different types and bottles of oil, so just got a 4lt for the rear and did both front and rear with that.

Bods, i did replace my sons 2013 d22 rear diff with gl5 80w-90 lsd oil , is this oil the correct weight or should i have used the 140 as you mentioned ?

Bods, i did replace my sons 2013 d22 rear diff with gl5 80w-90 lsd oil , is this oil the correct weight or should i have used the 140 as you mentioned ?

80w90 is super and what the manual reccomends for 40C max outside temperature which is what i believe the max temp in australia? i mean 40 or 42 doesnt matter but if it gets hotter or you live like the desert getting the 140 isnt a bad idea at all. personally i wouldnt risk anything else than API gl5 on the front diff. gearbox takes API gl4 Never ever mix or say goodbye to the transmission.
changes my fluid in Xmass, every 80,000 kms and everything was spot on. i only do the LSD diff every 40,000 kms. to prevent clutch disks wear.

Depends on the driving he does I guess. Country driving or towing a lot I'd definitely go with the 140 weight, but if he just puts around town or city and not a lot of real long trips 90 would be ok. The castrol site recommends 85w-140lsx for the rear...

diffs

doing my diffs next weekend ,bought a pump from supercheap auto ,fillr=ed transfer case in afew minutes ,too easy ,will use for diffs too

Latest posts

Back