tray lengths

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo

Reaction score
I drive a D22 07 dual cab and are planning to put a tray on the back and then get a aluminium canopy to go on that. I'm looking at having the tray atleast 1800 long or even 1850, is this fairly standard? I'm interested in hearing what other people have got. Thanks

Triple M website:

Aluminium, Steel or Paint Steel. 4x4 and 4x2 Tray Size 1650*1842

That is about what i would have expected on a dual cab anyway.

Mitch

i have one fitted from A.M.A and it measures 1865 long X 1835 wide.i will get a pic up soon for you to have a look at.

mines about 1800x1700. had to go over the pits because it increased the length of the car.

photo of tray?

i have one fitted from A.M.A and it measures 1865 long X 1835 wide.i will get a pic up soon for you to have a look at.

Thanks for your reply. If you could get a photo (side view) , that would be great. From the feedback it seems that having it 1850 long wouldn't look odd though.

I think you'll find that they tray will be wider than it is longer

1850 = width
1600 to 1700 long

I just bought a patrol ute instead LOL

Thanks for your reply. If you could get a photo (side view) , that would be great. From the feedback it seems that having it 1850 long wouldn't look odd though.

here's that photo mate hope it works!!!!

Attachments

• shane's memory card 176.jpg
    shane's memory card 176.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 165
overly long tray is a common way to wreck your suspension and even chassi rails.
any load past rear wheels acts as a much heavier weight. the further back the worse it becomes. a measly 100kg on the rear acts like 1000kg. having tow ball that far extended is begging for problems.

i had a pic of a D40 with a similar setup......expect it snapped the chassi just behind the cab.

yeah i am a little concerned about that as well,i am going to move my filler cap and then i can move my tray forward about 75mm that should make a bit of a difference.i only have that long towbar on when i am towing my tinnie other than that i just have the normal set up which is about 120mm shorter.

you could strengthen the chassis but you still have the same problem. best way is to extend the chassis and fit 2nd rear axle.

long trays can be useful as it makes a good work bench but it stuffs up towing unless the trailer as a really long draw bar. but when you have room it gets used and most people won't think about weight distribution.

we had a ford extra cab come into work. loaded it up, nothing to heavy (i carry more with the single cab) but with its custom made long tray, it was just about dragging the tow ball on the ground. just to much weight past the axles.
if it was a single cab it would have been fine.

one of the reasons i don't like alloy decks is they often have a big fat bar around the trays headboard. its needs to be big because alloy flexs so much. but you loose 75mm-100mm. that puts your load back even further.
shane75 yours is classic example. the load actually sits quite a way back from the cab.

I have seen a D40 bend the chassis. However his problem was not from weight distribution so much as bad installation of airbags which led to the bent chassis. I certainly wouldn't consider anything over 1800x1800, with even that probably getting a bit big i reckon.

Mitch

true that can be the case but what tends to happen is they stack a lot of weight at the rear then use air bags or extra springs to compensate and hide the problem. that simply over loads the chassis.

Yep, i agree. Just unfortunate that in this case it was poor installation leading to failure, which then caused the chassis failure.

You definitely don't want too much weight very far back, if you do insurance + warranty may become void, and can cause lots of problems. Look for any brand of ute in dual cab with a tray, i have seen pictures of all of them with bent chassis. It comes down to the user and how the vehicle is treated.

Mitch

Mitch

Latest posts

Back