Upgrading Stock 09' D40 ST-X

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty ST-X

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Some really great stuff on this forum.
I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust and replace the stock Continental tyres with some new All-Terrain ones. Want to get the mostly height out of new tyres, any advice would be awesome as I don't know much about tyres.
Know nothing about exhaust either other than it doesn't void my warranty, whats good?

Cheers

The search button is really good ;)

However, how big do you want to go tyre wise. Either an increase to 265/70/16 or 265/75/15 are very popular. The increase to 265/70 is legal in all states (less than 15mm increase in tyre diameter) but the 265/75/16 will get you more height but is not legal everywhere.
What state are you in? I have just gone from 255/70/16 Dunlop AT20 to 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson MTZ's and love the tyres. More road noise than an AT tyre but that is not an issue for me. I got around 20mm ish extra height.

Still on stock exhaust so I am no help there I'm afraid.

Regards Murph

Actually Murph we can go to 50mm not the 15mm. 15mm is for cars etc and 50mm is for off road and light truck.
I run the 265/75/R16 BFG AT's as well as 265/70/R17 BFG AT's and both sizes are legal in the ACT . However they are the largest legally I can run.

tyres.jpg

I put 265/70/R17 Maxxis Big Horns MT762 on my Nav from the stock 255/65/R17 thats the biggest i can go with stock height without doing anything to the guards, ute goes good little bit of noise on the road but nothing that bothers me, Also i tried to find a bolt on exhaust system but as mine is a 4L V6 Petrol i could not find here in NZ so i got a custom 3" from the cats back, no increase in power but runs the engine cooler & sounds better. I know they make bolt ons for the diesels.

Cheers for the feedback guys. Seems like I might go with the 265/75/R16's as I can't be bother buying new rims at this stage.
I'm from WA Scubamurph so not too sure on the legality of it over here. I just know if it is sticking out of your guards they going to sticker you.

Reading back and forth most have said once you've got your size picked is just a matter of find a decent price for them. Brand is a brand, all give you about the same product right, so find a good price. Any comments?

RCP4312, I'm looking at a 3" straight through, just a matter of some more research and seeing what my exhaust guy reckons. Suspension will come later hopefully by then it'll be time for some new bigger tyres haha.
Out of curiosity have you driven a the diesel model Navara? I'm curious as the to the difference in power between the 6cyl petrol to the 4cyl diesel?

Thanks again

I've not long ago moved from the standard Continental 255/70s to BF Goodrich All Terrain in 265/70.

The 265/75s would have rubbed the front inner plastic housing when approaching full lock and compressing the suspension (eg speed hump/gutter/rock climb etc). I could have cut the guard away, or used a heat gun - which would have weakened it - I chose not to do this.

I'm not 100% happy with the increase in the wheel size. I've done about 3500km on them and have found that I'm using more fuel (somewhere between 1 and 2 LPHK). This is because of the extra effort needed to turn the wheel over - I didn't change diff ratios, it was a straight change to the new wheel size.

Next time, I am going to try and get 255/75s in the BF Goodrich range. I am very happy with the tyres, their performance on and off road, and the noise (negligible). It's only the fuel economy that irks me now.

265/75s would be even worse.

If you don't mind the extra cost of getting around and don't mind using a heat gun to deform the guards around the front wheel, go for the larger wheels, you'll gain a little ground clearance under your diff (which a suspension lift won't give you).

Cheers Tony.
Few guys on here have said the same about the fuel economy and a small lose of power. Hopefully once my new exhaust goes in the shouldn't be a power issue. As for the fuel economy I'm not too fused as only get to drive 6 months of the year.

Thats a nice ride Tony, have you had any issue with the bonnet latch? Had a recall on my model about that with the steel bull bar.

Mine's been in for the recall and had the strap fitted and front springs replaced, because I have the winch as well it took the thing over Nissan's weight limit so they did the whole fix.

I don't think I'll ever have an issue with the bonnet latch. I don't drive fast enough on rough enough roads to jolt it around that much. On the forest trails - where we usually have our caravan behind us - I tend to take it fairly easy. We tried part of the Ernest Giles Road at Christmas when we went to Uluru, but turned back. After a couple of km of that, we thought that 90+ more would be worse than the 260km+ of sealed road if we went the long way.

That said, we've vowed to go back, and actually do the track, but we'll have time on our side next time - won't have to worry about getting back to work! Even then, I don't think the road will cause the latch to let go. Speed was a factor, and I just won't risk myself, my passengers or the vehicle on a few extra km/h, let alone enough to start tearing the vehicle apart.

A.

Matty,

One of my mates has a 2.5 D40 same size tires as me but seems more slugish on the road, off road you dont really notice the difference, once i went to the MT i have noticed fuel economy has gone down, but it will get worse once i put the 5" Calmini & the 35" MT but thats why i work in the oil feild. Keen for some pics when your done.

Tony, sounds like quite and adventure mate. I imagine you gotta be thrashing it pretty hard for it to stress that radiator bracket where that bonnet latch is. Maybe just covering their ass I guess.
I don't have a bull bar on mine, looking to get a nudge bar down the track though. They just put stickers on mine to say if I put a full metal bull bar on that all the front suspension has to be change. Not sure if I'll go that far with it all.

RCP4312, like ya truck mate. Looking nice with those tyres, black rims make the difference hey. I see you don't have a roll bar, I have a spare one from an ST-X if your interested? So lovely person ran into the back of my car while it was in a car park and took off. Was left with a $3000 bill for panel beaters. I just found a whole new well body for $500 and fitted it my self, saved heap of dosh haha.
5" on that thing is going to look pretty mad, would also be keen for pics when that goes it. I'll upload some once I get new tyres. Mine is still standard as hell at the moment, looking at houses at the same time. I also work in Oil and Gas mate.

Cheers guys

Latest posts

Back