US Police can now fire GPS bullets

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
I suppose we can expect to see this here soon too.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/g...high-speed-chase/story-fnda1lbo-1226749334593

US POLICE are now able to shoot a tracker from the front of their car onto the boot of a suspect's vehicle to stop them getting away.
The technology reduces the need for police pursuits which can be dangerous, deadly and futile in some cases.
All police have to do is hit a button inside their vehicle and a lid pops up from the car's grille and a tracking bullet shoots out and sticks to the car in front.
“If you had told me 16 years ago that I would have had a cannon on the front of my car, I wouldn't have believed it,” US Trooper Tim Sieleman told the Des Moines Register.
Mr Sieleman said they were able to use the technology only last week during a pursuit in western Iowa.
“I was able to tag a vehicle and back completely out of” the chase, he said. “We shut it down, tracked him over into Omaha.
“After they think the officer has disengaged, they back down to normal speeds to blend in with traffic so they don't get noticed again,” Mr Sieleman said.
The police fleet in Iowa only has one vehicle equipped with the technology, largely because each system costs $US5000 ($5211) and each round is $US500.

good idea, but 500 bucks a round seems a bit over the top when you can buy a mobile phone for $40

Yeah that's it, but I don't reckon it'll take off. looks like it sticks on like a fridge magnet, so if it hits plastic theres $500 in the gutter, also, even if it becomes widely used the guy getting chased will know he's been tagged and will stop and rip the thing off as soon as he gets a chance.

meanwhile, just saw on the news Aussie cop cars are getting a new device which can scan a rego number in half a second. they were making it out to be a big leap forward in the fight against crime - pfftt leap forward in collecting revenue more like - better make sure you've paid your rego fellas!

Yep, surely they can come up with something they can shove into a shot gun. Might even rupture a few fuel tanks going in.

We got stung by the rego scanner March 2013 coming back from a trip when the RTA/RMS hadn't posted out the renewal and we were away until after the grace period.

It is going to be tit useless unlss they start impounding unregistered cars and all vehicles driven by unlicensed drivers because the suckers just two finger and keep on driving. Repeat offenders should be just dumped on the roadside.

Latest posts

Back