#Vic# Sat 6th or Sun 7th West Gippsland

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which day suits?

• Saturday 6th

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Sunday 7th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What about a late arvo / end of day meal and rest before heading home again at either the Walhalla or Rawson pub?

Aido,i've ticked the box,saturday preferably,sunday ok.
Jason, 265/75/16 maxxis bighorn.

What about a late arvo / end of day meal and rest before heading home again at either the Walhalla or Rawson pub?

Make sure you book in to the Rawson pub, Walhalla might be a bit different not sure about the pub there but Saturday night with the caravan park no doubt half full Rawson will fill quickly. Even if you don't make it there exactly on time atleast you will have a table.

I'm thinking i might camp on Saturday night at Walhalla or nearby.

Walk to the cricket ground, you can't camp there (although I'm sure no one would see you) and there is bugger all there when you get there but atleast you can say you got there.

Just don't feel to disheartened when you walk across the cricket ground and find that there is actually a track that although it's locked is suitable to drive with just about any 4wd. It's about a 1.6k up up and up walk but most people are too slack to do it. Although the players drive up there now days in years gone by you can only imagine how much fun a game of cricket at Walhalla was.

I suppose most of you know walhalla was the last vic town to get electricity, it got it some time in the 1990's (i think), funny thing is its not too far from the power stations.

Decmeber 98 it was, Less funny is that despite its locality to the majority of Victoria's power stations Walhalla just like all the towns surrounding it don't get their power from those stations anyway. If our power did come from these stations I'd be beating up more people I know for all the power outages we have down here.

Also don't forget to visit the cemetery and see if you can spot any of the local ghosts, its not such a long walk up there.

Thats one story, whether you believe it or not is another thing. The one thing I do know is that some of the graves are close together and the the whole place is quite hilly (75 degree incline I think I remember reading somewhere). Some of the graves date back well over 100 years and you can see some of them are horiziontal but there is so many headstones and stuff missing or broken with age that it's kind of hard to tell.

The place is near solid rock, how they dug holes in any direction is beyond me but there is parts of the place where the path isn't clearly defined but due to the layout it kind of makes you feel like you are walking over graves. It's a weird place. But one worth visiting for the history buffs

Is that the cemetary where there buried on the hill/cliff?
There buried upright, as if they were standing.

I visited the cem when i was there about 20 years ago,from memory they buried a few horizontal,but it was way to much digging so they put them in vertical.Very steep.

Theres a place called Aberfeldy Nth of Walhalla where the township was destroyed in the black Friday fires of 39 (?) all that remains is the cemetery - didn't get there last weekend so I cant confirm that. Apparently there was a Dance hall girl that died there during the 1850's when the place was in boom with gold. Unfortunately the lass was about 18 stone and the cemetery was a fair hike from town so the local diggers only got half way carrying her before they unanimously decided "Bugger this" and buried her by the side of the road - the grave site is still there. Very Australian!

It's made even eerier by the fact that even in the warmer months you can go up there at mid day and see a shroud of fog around the place, not every day but it can happen. It's just another one of those things that adds to the small town mystery. The ghost stories really are no different from hundreds of other towns around Australia but when they are told by a local and someone who's been doing it for long enough to play to an audiences reaction it just adds so much more character to it. One of the weirdest things is to walk down the main drag and see three people yet 100 odd years ago there was thousands in the same spot, the place doesn't look like it could support that many people but then people were different in those days.

I shamelessly stole this pic of part of Whalhalla cem from another forum.

2010_01020231.jpg

So who wants to be a grave digger in Walhalla? Even a pic like that can't show just how hard the ground is there but it shows the incline rather well

So who wants to be a grave digger in Walhalla? Even a pic like that can't show just how hard the ground is there but it shows the incline rather well

I'll give it the "key test" next week :big_smile:

Anyhow so far it is just Ian and me-self again along with Ange and the hounds. No complaints there since Ian is good company anyway but it would be good to get a few others along. At this stage I will only be day tripping on the sat. Ian possibly camping(?) overnight with a second day on the cards.
Aiming for Walhalla at 8:30am with departure around 9:00. Only looking at tracks from easy to medium or take whatever comes.
Lunch at some time around lunch time - Ian I'll bring the grub if you want to bring the BBQ again?

There is going to be a Navrun in this area on at the same time. I would be interested to have a bit of a guernsey at some of the vehicles involved.
The navruns look like alot of fun and something I might do one day soon so interested to get peek at how they do it. No doubt we will run into a bit of their traffic but none the less the forest is a big place.

Latest posts

Back