#Vic# Sat 6th or Sun 7th West Gippsland

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which day suits?

• Saturday 6th

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Sunday 7th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey Aido, are you getting my PM's?. When I look at the sent message box it is empty?. Not sure why.

Not sure but the messages you send may not appear in the "Sent" until the recipient collects it.

Anyhow just checked the BOM and they have now integrated forest explorer into what they call forecast explorer. The forecast for the Thomson forest area is 24 but anticipating 1-5mm of rain on Sat. Through tonight and tomorrow they expect over an inch. So it looks like being a sunny day with some damp patches being created before we get there - optimistic but there may be a slight rise in the creeks and rivers.
Should be a great day and really looking forward to it.
It looks like just being the three vehicles unless we can twist any other arms???

After the rain we got today I'd suggest you ring the cops or someone else up there and ask them what local conditions are like. It bucketed down here for about 30 mins today, the rain was so heavy if I'd had a camera with me I could have entered Solid's water over the bonnet comp in another thread.

We had 20mm in that short time, weather patterns being what they are doesn't automatically mean Walhalla gets the same rain we do it can go either way, but it was a fairly wide spread storm front that hit and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Mt Bawbaw is showing 0.4mm so it could go either way.I'd better take extra beer just in case.

Was just checking BOM and according to them we are going to get a few more bucket fulls and a thunderstorm or two in the morning. Pity it's not going where its needed

Yep,they build a dam in a place where it wont fill up.
Hmmm,you have a nice big fridge Krafty,are you sure you're not coming along.:big_smile:

Nah I've gotta be family taxi first thing Sat morning and then I'm working from about 2pm until the job is finished. If it's not raining I'll go outside every now and again and wave to you cause the office I'll be in has direct line of site too those hills.

Also I'd still be suss about the rain, its still raining here and only stopped for about 2 hours since 4pm and I've been caught up between Walhalla and Baw Baw in the rain before and not all the tracks are good wet weather tracks.

*side note* I wish they'd change the name to Valhalla, I've been associated with the band Valhalla since 91 when they started and Walhalla is one of those words I just naturally spell wrong and have to go back and change. While you're up there ask if they want to change the name.

No worries,cheers,if it looks dodgey we can adjust our touring to keep out of the steep descents/ascents and cruise the easier tracks.It's not going anywhere and we can always revisit.

Mt Bawbaw is showing 0.4mm so it could go either way.I'd better take extra beer just in case.

Good idea, when my nav was new and still had road tyres i went camping at echuca on the murray, it rained so hard that night the place was flooding and the tracks became impossible to drive on, my nav went no where and i had to sit tight till the water drained away and i could drive on the tracks again.

Baw Baw had 14 degrees today, with this rain and a top of 14 I'd be thinking more about being cold than being wet.

That sort of weather is bourbon weather no need for keeping beer cold.

Fridge is chilled down, got some rolls, sauce, amber refreshments and some tim tams!.

Catch you fella's tomorrow.

Had a great day cruising around in the scrub,drizzle and sometimes light rain but it wasn't really a problem.

Air down at Walhalla.
P2050056.jpg

We took off up Binns rd and then into Army track and had to remove a tree.
P2050059.jpg

We came across a gold mine and went in for a look.This is the top entrance,where we went in was at the side of the road lower down.
P2050061.jpg

A bit of a splash around,
P2050065.jpg

and down to this hut at store point.Very well set up.
P2060070.jpg

Time for some lunch,nice camp spot at O'Tooles Flat.
P2060074.jpg

A bit of gold panning in Donnelly creek after lunch.
P2060073.jpg

Jorgensons hut,08kc diving into a puddle.
P2060078.jpg

Further on we got to Toombon mine,once a town with a school,pub etc.
Mine shaft.
P2060085.jpg

I'm glad the rain held out a bit for you guys, (we can turn on half decent weather in Gippsland sometimes). I was up at 6:30 yesterday and it didn't stop raining here until about 10am, guess we gave you the good portion of our weather.

Great pics guys, looks like a fun place to explore. I went there on a school camp a *few* years ago.

Terrific day.
Ian.... as sober faced and laconic as he is was grinning from ear to ear after coming down Army track.
Was good to meet up with Jason too - 08KINGCAB - great setup for touring no doubt. Great info in geological terms and answered heaps of my questions in regards to how the mining took place over 100 years ago.
Would have some pics to put up as the Navi was keen as for pictures but unfortunately some d@#$head forgot to put a memory card in the camera!
Will be doing it again sometime soon definitely because we have only just scratched the surface in terms of daytrips. Sometime again in the next 6 weeks before wet weather sets in.

So who has Ideas for next weekend?
Where are we going?

Latest posts

Back