What does yours weigh?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ants_oz

My 2008 ST-X D40 (2.5 6 speed manual) apparently has a tare weight of 1,965kg and a GVM of 2,805kg.

My current tare weight is actually 2,500kg. Give or take a few kg. Admittedly, that was with with full tanks (long range tank), recovery gear in the back etc... But I have to be careful when packing to make sure that I am legal with GVM when I travel, that's for sure.

Once I get my relocation to Tassie out of the way I will be commencing the process for a GVM upgrade - that will be mandatory.

It got me thinking though...who else has had their D40 over a weighbridge since accessorising it? Do you know what your actual tare weight is and therefore your load carrying capacity?

That's a good question. Some quick calculations put ours at between 2300 and 2400kg. There's a public weighbridge on Kooragang Island, I'll try to get over there and check it out.

dunno about weighing it.....we just shove a 1000kg load on it (and some) and drive ;)

I had mine over the weighbridge a few months ago so I could see what total boat and ute weighed together and while there was a bit more crap in the back to my usual daily crap the ute by itself clocked in at 2615.7kg.

Let's not forget that tare weight is supposed to be wet, and with an average weight driver.

Might have to weigh mine, Mine would be 2.2 or there abouts on a everyday run.

Dave.

Let's not forget that tare weight is supposed to be wet, and with an average weight driver.

Actually tare weight doesn't include driver, or fuel according to my understanding. My understanding is that the tare weight includes lubricants and coolants, but only a nominal load of fuel (something like 1/4 tank if memory serves correctly although happy to be corrected).

Regardless, tare weight is kinda irrelevant - starting weight (the weight YOUR vehicle ACTUALLY weighs empty) is what matters. That is what I refer to as tare weight.

Anyway, as said - I'm certainly going to kick off a GVM upgrade when I get to Tas in.....oh......only about 6 or 8 weeks now I should think. WOO HOO!

I hadn't washed my car and according the the government none of as are average weight we are a country of fat bastards so maybe we can all just take ourselves out of the equation.

Actually tare weight doesn't include driver, or fuel according to my understanding. My understanding is that the tare weight includes lubricants and coolants, but only a nominal load of fuel (something like 1/4 tank if memory serves correctly although happy to be corrected).

I'm not 100% up with all the rules but I believe in this state anyway that tare weight is as you claim, although I'm not sure about the fuel load. A vehicle is licensed and registered to carry a set figure of weight and no matter how that weight is utilised the vehicle can not go over that figure (there maybe be a tolerance at some weighbridges). When it comes to a weighbridge or over the mobile scales whilst in transit the driver, fuel and cargo must all be weighed together to get a total.

In and out of the quarries we used to have to offload all passengers at the entry gates as the truck was weighed going in and all passengers had to stay in on the way out so that they were measured with the vehicle and it's load to ensure the on road mass was not greater than allowed. We also once had a line haul driver out of the bakery carting 23 tonnes of crumpets and muffins from Melbourne to Sydney and return fined at the weighbridge on the Hume because he'd filled both tanks less than 50 ks before the station and when he got to the scales he was 300kg over on the drive axle so when it comes to on the road all weight carried by the truck is always taken into account however when it comes to getting the maximum figure specific weighted units like people are not.

Yeah, consistency is a tough one isn't it Krafty.

Regardless, I'm looking into a GVM upgrade when I get down south as I just don't have the load capacity to play with anymore.

Thought people might like the info. Doesn't take long for the weights to start to add up when you start adding accessories does it ;)

My house goes on the market tomorrow (YAY!) and fingers crossed for a quick sale at a good price.

Kerb weight is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g. motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.
This definition may differ from definitions used by governmental regulatory agencies or other organizations, for example, many European Union manufacturers include the weight of a 75 kilogram driver to follow European Directive 95/48/EC.

Sorry, I was wrong about the passenger, I thought it was included because it was for my last car, being German.

So, wet, but no driver.

For my porpoises I'm going to include people, because that's how we usually drive it.

My Navara didn't come with remote control steering so I can just run along behind it and control it with a Nintendo Gameboy. Sadly, I have to actually get inside and do the work manually. Maybe it's a D22 thing? We get hair dryers but have to steer it ourselves?

Don't know the actual weight but its significantly more than when I got it guess I should find a weigh bridge and check

Sorry to add in a D22 here but mine during a working week is around 2400-2500kg's without driver, I'm guessing when unloaded for the weekend around the 2100-2200kg mark.

Don't be sorry we D40 drivers can get along with you plebs alright, just don't go stealing our hair dryers.

They'd all love to steal our 'dryers but the 'poverty pack' D22's don't come with many goodies including the all essential socket (with or without earth leakage) to plug em into!

Had mine on a weighbridge a couple of weeks back when I scrapped some copper.
2520kgs as I generally get around, tools, boxes few rolls of cable etc, don't know how much that leaves me with, I just chuck whatever I have to in it.

Just weighed my D40 - 2470 kgs "empty". Not much left for carrying stuff before getting near to the GVM.

Had mine over a weigh bridge this morning and with myself and about quarter of a tank of diesel plus all the goodies I normally carry it comes in at a respectable 2700Kg which makes me think once I get the family and extra bits required for some jobs I must be well over weight.

I guess that's why my rear springs are almost convex when I take my spring helpers off.

I was talking to an engineer here in Canberra about a GVM upgrade. He is a D40 dual cab owner himself and knows a thing or two about them, so was most helpful.

He suggested the following changes would be required in order for him to consider a GVM upgrade to a dual-cab D40:

-chassis strengthening at the "dog leg", where the chassis turns up behind the cab. The chassis would need to be plated with additional steel

-suspension upgrade

-airbags with onboard compressor and air reservoir (and "self levelling" capability I think I recall him saying...)

He suggested to me that, as I already had a quality suspension kit installed, he would need to inspect and research the ratings of the particular suspension before commenting on its suitability further. But assuming it WAS suitable for use with the upgrade, plating the chassis and adding the additional components (airbags, compressor, reservoir) and allowing for his professional services, it would total somewhere around $5,000 or thereabouts.

That would increase the GVM to somewhere in the vicinity of 3,300kg, but he would not sign off any higher amounts on a chassis as used under vehicles like the Navara, Hilux, Rodeo etc...

Thought some of you might be interested in that information.

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony. Good info!

That raises the GCM to 6300Kg from its 5805 (GVM + max towing capacity). Did the guy mention anything about increase braking capacity (larger discs etc)? What about changing the rear drums for discs?

Just while I'm here, a 2700Kg vehicle should get about 14LPHK (2700/1995*10.5).

Latest posts

Back