What does yours weigh?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tony,

I would not summise to say that it raises the GCM! I did not include in my discussions with him about raising the GCM, only the GVM - the two are different and not mutually inclusive or interchangeable - that is a separate discussion so please do not infer from the information that I provided that increasing the GVM has anything to do with increasing the GCM.

It could be the case that by increasing the GVM, the GCM remains the same as it was....or might be reduced....or who knows....it wasn't part of the discussions I had with the engineer.

In the discussions I had with the engineer, there was no requirement to change the braking capacity of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony. Good info!

That raises the GCM to 6300Kg from its 5805 (GVM + max towing capacity). Did the guy mention anything about increase braking capacity (larger discs etc)? What about changing the rear drums for discs?

Just while I'm here, a 2700Kg vehicle should get about 14LPHK (2700/1995*10.5).

So how does that work?
As you can see in the economy thread. I get average of 11L/100km open road and mid 12's around town.
Maybe the Nitrogen filled tyres I run help. LOL

The rated towing capacity is 3,000kg, so unless they specifically change the rating of the towing capacity, increasing the GVM will also (linearly) change the GCM. Simple addition. I think the engineer needs to pay attention to that specific too, just in case there's an insurance issue.

How does the calc work? It's a rough-estimate based on the supposed factory claim for the vehicle's mileage adjusted by the vehicle's additional weight. If your vehicle is 705Kg above the weight of the test vehicle that achieved 10.5LPHK, then you should expect (reasonably, give or take a little) to have an increase in fuel consumption of up to the figure obtained from the calculation.

If you're getting less, you're doing well! If you're getting worse, then it is safe to assume that something isn't right with the vehicle. Consider it a rough guide to the max fuel consumption rate that you should be experiencing based on your vehicle's weight.

The rated towing capacity is 3,000kg, so unless they specifically change the rating of the towing capacity, increasing the GVM will also (linearly) change the GCM. Simple addition. I think the engineer needs to pay attention to that specific too, just in case there's an insurance issue.

Hi Tony,

You may be right, I don't know one way or the other on that subject. The purpose of my discussions with the engineer was simply to talk about GVM upgrade.

As I stated though, I would NOT summise that that the GCM increases as well without first confirming that yourself. Best to be on the safe side with such matters obviously ;)

It took me forever but I finally dug up the Vic road rules on mass limits and the penalties for exceeding them.

The VicRoads website is really crap. All the information is there, but finding it? Forget it.

Exceeding the GVM and/or GCM by 15 to 20% carries a fine of $1195 for the driver in Victoria. There is the same fine for the operator but I'm yet to work out if that applies to the registered owner of the vehicle twice over if he/she is driving.

Well that sucks. Though I've never seen a light vehicle get weighbridged. I wonder how much you have to be hauling to get pulled over and hassled, if it isn't obvious that the vehicle is overloaded?

Dion, that's another reason why we made two specific choices:

1) Nissan Navara
2) Travelhome 25' (3,000kg) Fifth Wheeler

There are many salespeople that will tell you that you can tow a 3,000Kg fifth wheeler with a Ford Falcon ute. In fact, I've seen this combination for sale in a yard. The Falcon was rated for 2300Kg maximum towing mass and the salesman tried to convince me that because about 500Kg of the fifth wheeler's mass sat on the back axle of the ute, you could deduct that from the mass of the fifth wheeler and then you're only marginally over so there won't be a problem.

That is so, so wrong.

Then there's the American imports. They falsify weighbridge figures so the trailers fall under 4.5T, yet many exceed that. Apart from the crappy wiring in these vehicles (you can't use American 110V wiring in an Australian 240V environment) many of these are grossly overweight and are designed for smooth black-top, not the roads of Australia. And yet they sell, and people buy them.

Are they pulled over and weighed? I've never seen it, yet the larger fifth wheelers would all exceed 4.5T which is the magic number for someone with a normal "Car" licence. Beyond this 4.5T figure (in NSW at least) you need to upgrade your vehicle licence. Many don't.

Maybe one day the RTA will start targetting these people that haul trailers that are well beyond the capacity of the tow vehicle. I'll be glad when they do, because they are a danger to other road users.

I have mates still in the job, some of them still working in Traffic. Portable scales exist and are still used by the road traffic authorities. Vehicles are most often weighed these days at the point of registration (interstate transfer for trailers etc) or at roadside checks which unfortunately are become less and less frequent, however that is another bone of contention for me....the lack of resources for law enforcement! Where is society heading these days!

A lot of the time you won't have a problem though, until it all goes pear shaped. Then, the prang gang (Police Accident Investigation) will go through you like a dose of salts if they suspect any problems....then, if your rig is over weight, or unroadworthy for a variety of other reasons....that is when your problems begin...

You see, when your vehicle is in the workshop and the prang gang have all the time in the world to pull it apart and inspect in minutely, have it assessed by engineers, refer parts to the manufacturer etc....that's when things get interesting.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an older thread .... HOW MUCH DOES YOUR NAVARA WEIGH ???

After getting back from the Muster, and unloading the back of the Ute, i though i'd slip past a local weighbridge to see what my D40 weighs with just me and the drawer system loaded with all my crap.

I nearly died when the young lady came out to me and stated 2.92 Ton. I can only put my son and a chain saw in it and still be legal to go off for a drive (obviously aiming for the bush)

If i wanted my wife to come for a drive as well, i'd have to take the fridge out of the Ute (there goes all my beer and JD)

I cant even put my roof top tent back on the Ute to go to Alice Springs for Xmas hoidays this year.

So, what am i to do?
I think i'll have to rip out the whole drawer system and put a lighter weight system in and think twice about what tools i really need to pack to take with me. I will have to take off the steel cable on the winch and put a plasma rope on intead ... i will have to find every spare kilo of weight and decided what i need and what i dont need to take/keep.

2920kg? Whoa! 60kg under the GVM. You can't put your trailer behind it, because the ball weight would cause you to exceed your GVM.

You might consider moving some of that stuff to the trailer? Mine's 2500kg, how is yours 400kg heavier than mine? We both have canopies, steel bars, winches. You have that rack with hi-lift jack sure, but the extra lights won't be much. Could your draws be THAT heavy?

Tony ... didn't you see what is IN my drawer? and dont forget to add the bash plates and scotty's sliders as well.

Sure, and I know what that recovery gear weighs too. Maybe I should head back to the weighbridge myself. We just added a brand new ARB compressor (exactly the same as was won at the Muster) plus an ARB ezy-deflator and a pressure gauge. I'm going to add recovery hooks, equalising strap, snatch block & 70L auxiliary tank ... it all adds up.

Well the fact that you used 22mm ply or there abouts wont have helped greatly with all that weight, but having seen what's in those drawers I'm not overly surprised by your weight, you pack a lot of shit in that tub on a regular basis.

Given the amount of timber in those drawers you will drop the weight down a bit going for something a bit thinner but I'd still suggest the majority of your weight is in tools and bits because the drawers are big enough to fit all that stuff in. Make the drawers hold half as much and you'll cut down your weight dramatically you greedy bastard!!

Shit is it really I thought it was that thick marine grade stuff at 22mm, shows how much notice I took.

Oh well you live and learn, your next build will be done with hindsight and experience so you'll do it better.

As much as I really don't like them and wouldn't do them for myself the old man has done a bloody good job of his false floor and drawers in the BT50. He's set it up well for the job it does but I'd hate to think how much weight he's added given the number of farm tools he's got in it.

That's a good question. Some quick calculations put ours at between 2300 and 2400kg. There's a public weighbridge on Kooragang Island, I'll try to get over there and check it out.

tony
its cheaper to take a small amount of rubbish to summerland tip (maryland) and pay the minimum charge ,roughly $14
you get weight in and weight out printed on your docket
my d22 weighed 2060kg with full fuel and all the recovery gear ,tools ect behind rear seat

i didnt pay that much
i was charged minimum fee
cant remember exact amount but it was under $20

I'm not convinced the weight of the vehicle is any excuse for the way the owner drives

That could explain the problems your having with the front diff.

I'll ingore Krafty's comment, and go with this one .... LOL :sarcastic:

I think a light weight 20mm steel frame in the tub, with 7mm ply sides (maybe go right down to 3mm) and then only a 9mm floor over the top. i'll have to re-build the Drawer itself too - it is also TOO heavy and too long.

Latest posts

Back