What warranty work has your D40 had done.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking this when i started reading these forums too and the US forum is even worse they have a list of troubles three times the size. The way I see it is that even with 2000 members (whatever it is I didn't check) this forum is still a small number of those Nav's actually on the road. You take a risk buying any car and some people do get lemons but really even the number on here that have had warranty work done shouldn't be that scary. All forums would be the same

Agree Krafty....and I also think that many people go looking for somewhere to air their whinge as well and thus too many contributors are those who have had problems that haven't been sorted.....I have noticed during my travels around the country that there are Nissan dealers who are proud of their dealership and deliver great customer service...and there are other who are just plain CRAP and commensurate with their CRAP service they dirty Nissan's name as well. Happens with other makes as well......

Human nature is to whinge about things we don't like and or things that have done us wrong and in one way or another we are all guilty of it at some stage in our lives, but it does seem some people are more bitchy than others.

I've had clients who would rather bitch about how they got ripped off and that they'd never deal with my company again yet when offered a full refund they refuse so that they can keep the bitch going. You just have to be thankful that not everyone is like that and that at times when you buy anything if you do enough research you will eventually find a bad word about every one and everything.

More warranty work:
New set of injectors
New set of front heavy duty springs (as part of a recall)
New cruise control cover on steering wheel.

oh yeh, i finally got that new bonnet and catch last week,and that lovely strap lives in the back,the old one lasted 4 years and over 180,000 so i have faith in this one doing the same

My car went back to Klosters yesterday to get its Pioneer in-dash system looked at AGAIN - the bloody bluetooth had failed. This is the third time the unit's shat itself.

I mentioned to Michael that I had a small amount of oil appearing on the transfer case and there were some scuff marks on the door window switch surrounds.

I thought to myself that it'd be a blown seal on the transfer case and being wear&tear I'd be paying for that. I thought I'd be paying for the window switch surrounds as well.

I've got my car back now, ZERO cost. Everything was covered.

I was stunned, to say the least - and most appreciative of their approach to my vehicle.

I still have to wait for Pioneer to fix the unit. If they don't put a brand new job in I'll not be very happy. The F900BT is not as reliable as its $3,000 price tag would require.

I'm not sure if I've got a problem or not.

My dual cab is only 3 weeks (4,000kms) old & had never been in 4wd, so on the way home from work yesterday I thought I'd try it out in Hi 4. All seemed to work well until I turned into my driveway. Then it was like I had slammed the brakes on. 4wd Hi 4 or Lo 4 seems to only work in a relitively straight line. If your turn corners the wheels want to lock up & the engine stalls.

Filthy Phil said:

My dual cab is only 3 weeks (4,000kms) old & had never been in 4wd, so on the way home from work yesterday I thought I'd try it out in Hi 4. All seemed to work well until I turned into my driveway. Then it was like I had slammed the brakes on. 4wd Hi 4 or Lo 4 seems to only work in a relitively straight line. If your turn corners the wheels want to lock up & the engine stalls.

Don't even know what to say to this

It means your car is working perfectly. I would NOT do that again - seriously.

The drive train in 4WD is linked directly, front wheels to rear wheels, when you engage 4WD. This means that the front wheels and rear wheels will want to turn over at precisely the same rate while in ANY 4WD mode.

When you turn a left-hand corner, your left-rear wheel will only need to travel around a small circle (relatively). Your front-right wheel will need to travel a huge circle.

With both front and rear trying to turn at different rates, something in the middle has to give, and ultimately it will stretch and break - that's the transfer chain. From memory, it isn't cheap to replace.

The moral of the story: 4WD is ONLY for when it's needed and ONLY for loose surfaces. Mud, sand, loose gravel, ice, snow.

The cars that are full-time 4WD (Subaru Impreza, Land Cruisers etc) have limited slip diffs not only on the axles but in the transfer case as well.

Part of the Navara's strength off-road is the lack of LSD between the axles - so there's no need for installing a locker in the transfer case. Once you're in the loose stuff, the stock Navara will outperform the stock (pick an AWD) every time.

I would suggest your Navara wouldn't have suffered anything, has proven that it's working because it did precisely what it was supposed to do.

Don't even know what to say to this

It's no real surprise that some people hop in a 4WD and make this mistake. 4WD techniques aren't taught anywhere but in 4WD circles, and most driving schools use FWD vehicles these days.

I'm willing to bet that driving schools hardly discuss the difference between driving a RWD and FWD vehicle too - there are differences people SHOULD be aware of, but they only really come into play when you're pushing the vehicle harder (eg accelerating through a corner on slippery surface).

There is no shame on Phil's part. People new to the 4WD arena wouldn't know.

We as 4WD enthusiasts have the mantle fall upon us to point people in the direction of 4WD trainers like Newcastle's ARB (agents for Out Of Town 4WD at Barnsley) or to advise, in as clear a means as we can manage, not only HOW it works, but WHY it works the way it does.

Sorta like internet-spakfilla.

Old.Tony said:

The drive train in 4WD is linked directly, front wheels to rear wheels, when you engage 4WD. This means that the front wheels and rear wheels will want to turn over at precisely the same rate while in ANY 4WD mode.

When you turn a left-hand corner, your left-rear wheel will only need to travel around a small circle (relatively). Your front-right wheel will need to travel a huge circle.

With both front and rear trying to turn at different rates, something in the middle has to give, and ultimately it will stretch and break - that's the transfer chain. From memory, it isn't cheap to replace.

The moral of the story: 4WD is ONLY for when it's needed and ONLY for loose surfaces. Mud, sand, loose gravel, ice, snow.

The cars that are full-time 4WD (Subaru Impreza, Land Cruisers etc) have limited slip diffs not only on the axles but in the transfer case as well.

Part of the Navara's strength off-road is the lack of LSD between the axles - so there's no need for installing a locker in the transfer case. Once you're in the loose stuff, the stock Navara will outperform the stock (pick an AWD) every time.

I would suggest your Navara wouldn't have suffered anything, has proven that it's working because it did precisely what it was supposed to do.

That pretty much summed up what I was thinking. In a much more intelligent explanation.

A local. Good to see.

As Tony said. 4wd only gets used on mud and gravel and sand.

Tar and concrete have way to much grip.

You will destroy the transfer case is you keep doing this.

Oh and avoid Maitland Nissan at all costs.

Especially the service manager.

Had problems with air con (gas leaked) and passenger side handle above door gave way. Both were fixed without question. Am currently getting a shudder in the brakes when they get hot during long downhill braking events but Nissan are putting that down to tyres needing to be replaced and wheel alignment. I think it may be the front discs but will have to convince Nissan once I put on new tyres and get a wheel alignment.

What OldTony says....and....I'm thinking that you are on your very first 4WD. It might be beneficial if you not only read your vehicle handbook but also this site might just put it into plainer language for you

HowStuffWorks "How Four-Wheel Drive Works"

Depending how long and how winding the road you travelled and if that was all on a paved surface....you are awfully lucky you didn't do some real damage to your driveline. The weakest point IMHO is the small gears in you diffs and a fix here can be quite expensive.

50,000 km service just done and following warranty issues fixed:

• Driver's seat replaced - it was completely worn out
  • Driver's side passenger door handle replaced - it wasn't working
  • Driver's side passenger door speaker replaced - it wasn't working
  • Rear parking sensors - one sensor was giving a "false positive"

Ok, thanks for your reply Old Tony. I didn't realise that it could do any damage as no one had told me this before. I won't be doing it again.
I can't remember exactly what it said in the owners manual about using 4wd but I'm sure it didn't give any warnings about using 4wd on sealed roads. I think it just said that 4wd was for more challenging situations.
I have previously owned a 97 hilux & a 2000 Pajero and neither of them did what the Navara did.

Ok, thanks for your reply Old Tony. I didn't realise that it could do any damage as no one had told me this before. I won't be doing it again.
I can't remember exactly what it said in the owners manual about using 4wd but I'm sure it didn't give any warnings about using 4wd on sealed roads. I think it just said that 4wd was for more challenging situations.
I have previously owned a 97 hilux & a 2000 Pajero and neither of them did what the Navara did.

You're quite welcome, Phil.

The reason why the Hilux and Pajero (and Prado etc) don't do it is the same reason why the Navaras have to keep rescuing them! :big_smile:

If Nissan had put a stronger diff up front the Navara would be much stronger off-road. Unfortunately they cut corners by using a smaller, lighter diff. The smaller diff doesn't allow space for a locker up front.

However, the rear diff is large enough for a locker, and once you engage that, the "limited slip" function is gone. "Limited Slip" basically allows one wheel to travel at different rates to the other so you can turn a corner without binding the rear axle up, just like you bound up the front/rear. Unfortunately if you lose traction with one wheel, the other stops completely.

In a low-traction environment (sand, mud, ice, snow) that's really not what you want - you need to have power delivered to all 4 wheels and the diff locker basically removes the slip function. Again, you can't have your diff lock engaged on a solid surface either, for the exact same reasons - turn a corner, and one wheel on that axle will be trying to drive around a different-sized circle to the other and the axle will break or the diff gears will lose teeth.

They should probably put a sticker on the 4wd selector when new warning about this, like the one that says Diesel only (or whatever it says) in the fuel filler door, i've heard of a few people sticking their car in 4wd on the blacktop just to see what happens

Latest posts

Back