What warranty work has your D40 had done.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a warranty related question I spoke to Nissan about doing my own 5k interval oil changes. Ti which they said its fine so long as I use genuine oils and parts.
I went ahead and did the change with parts given from Nissan
I was talking to guys a work who said now that a non qualified mechanic hasn't done the change that Nissan could potentially refuse any claim because I did the change.

Do you think it's worth the stressing I'm putting into the subject or I'll be fine?

I dont think it would be an issue, but just incase it does come back to bight you just dont tell nissan that you are doing the 5k oil changes. Well thats what i do anyway. They only require the 10k to be done so they should be happy as long as that is done and your book is stamped.
What they dont know wont hurt.

There is a need to be fair to Nissan and the dealer as well.

If you are doing your own engine oil (and perhaps filter too) changes, and then have a warranty claim on the tailgate, diff, axles, brake caliper etc etc - Nissan/dealer will not reject your claim. Most of the dealers (who we never hear about here, because we generally only here the complaints) will not reject the entire car warranty because you're fiddling with one part.

Of course, if the claim is because the engine overheated because the oil filter fell off after being installed incorrectly, they have every right to refuse.

The big question for them is: did the work done by you contribute or cause the failure?

It's in their economic interest to pursue this line, because not only do they then not have to pay for the repairs, but they get to charge you full hourly rates for the repair. Nissan don't pay the dealer the same rate.

However, if the cause of the failure isn't something you did, they WILL be fair. Imagine if it's a bearing failure. Oil is tested and it's the stuff that matches the oil they gave you. Quantity of oil is within the right range. What are they going to do? They can't blame the oil, the change, the new filter. They have to - and will - deal with the issue.

Unfortunately what we hear a LOT of on the forums is the "rejected" claims. They tend to overshadow the more often than not unmentioned accepted warranty jobs.

You raise some fair and logical comments there Tony.
For me I'll be doing the change every 5000K's with the genuine Nissan filter and genuine oil. However I wont be telling them.

Just don't mention it and you'll be fine. I actually had a big drama today with a customer servicing all services outside Nissan. D22. Changed fuel filters and all and egr blocked up and needed a re-learn. Nissan denied as when changing fuel filters they advise a pump re-learn everytime as technically fuel flow can be compromised. As per Nissan technical.
It is understandable as in our servicing we have to carry that out an if there is an issue with a car that gets serviced with us and has the same issue. Other Nissan cover it or we do. They like to find any reason to denie warranty so don't giethem a reason to I say :)

FB are you suggesting that under normal conditions the only time Nissan suggest an ECU reset (or fuel re-learn) is required is at the services where a fuel filter is changed and not at every service?

Also how often in the ECU updated through Nissan servicing?

Ringing Nissan today for warranty claim, 12/2007 STX manual TD. Cruise control has stopped working, drivers window doesnt go up automatically anymore and the leak coming in on passenger side footwell. Bought the ute 2 months ago with 65,000kms on the clock, Still has the original tyres. Drove from Mackay to Cairns on 1 tank of fuel (780kms) and it loved it. Apart from these irritating nuances, the ute is fantastic. Cant complain at all, heres hoping i dont have half the trouble some of you have had. BTW i drive like a grandma everywhere, my old man had a cruiser ute with 450,000kms on the clock with the original clutch and gearbox. If you treat your ute well, i believe it will look after you too.
my 2c

You will be able to fix the auto up function yourself if you do a search on here. It's as simple as holding the button, but can't recall the exact procedure.

Wade's right, the auto up feature if turned off at the factory can be reset search for "auto up". If it was turned off by the factory it does need to be reset every time you disconnect the battery though.

Also check your A/C hose for the right length. Utes of around the 2007 genre have had issues where the a/c overflow doesn't go far enough through the firewall and leaks into the footwell. (atleast that's what my bad memory seems to remember from this forum)

Just hold the first click all the way to the top hold it up for 7 seconds

As a warranty related question I spoke to Nissan about doing my own 5k interval oil changes. Ti which they said its fine so long as I use genuine oils and parts.
I went ahead and did the change with parts given from Nissan
I was talking to guys a work who said now that a non qualified mechanic hasn't done the change that Nissan could potentially refuse any claim because I did the change.

Do you think it's worth the stressing I'm putting into the subject or I'll be fine?

Michael - the 5K service is a bit of a crock really. I was doing that until and thought this just doesn't sound right for a 2008 CDRI car and wrote to Mr Nissan Australia. You will not loose warranty if you carry out services at 10K intervals. That schedule in the handbook is somewhat generic and unless you are doing a lot of off road or dusty work......the service interval is 10K.

09 str 95000 KS no real pprobs going for service in 2. Weeks want back springs changed because of sagging ant primer pump has stopped priming I beloved that has been a common prob throughout the Nissan range apart freon that I'm not afraid to take her to. Remote areas

I was driving up a dirt driveway today and my front left CV disintegrated. Gonna ring the service centre tomorrow and have a chat. Anyone know what my chances are getting this fixed under warrenty?

Cheers Brad

Just hold the first click all the way to the top hold it up for 7 seconds

Thanks mate, ill try that this arv. It would have been because i disconnected the battery to put a new one in last week. And ill let nissan fiddle around with the A/C... seems to be rectified in the newer models, just an oversight from the factory. They always say stay away from the first new model of anything, but i would have thought in the space of 2-3 years they might have fixed it. oh well only minor stuff anyways...

It's not an oversight from the factory it was a coroners ruling to suit an ADR which stated automatic up on all windows had to retract at a certain pressure because a kid got killed when his head got stuck in the window and his hand on the button. Nissan couldn't meet the ADR at first so they switched the function off at the factory, but left the option there for other countries they sold too. When Nissan were able to adhere to the ADR the system was changed. Nissan weren't the only cars to have the feature turned off at the time.

G'day all been some time since I visited, reading the whole 18 pages has learned me a few thangs Jethro ... I tells ya :)
D40 has done 30,000 & is out of warranty... didn't get bonnet holder upper replaced via recall ... too far to travel to dealership for 5 mins work. It goes & tows 6 mtr boat well- fuel economy a bit better - get it serviced by local independant mechanic ... checked with Nissan first. Dealership I bought from over 3 hrs away & local Nissan Dealer a real drop kick.
Took it on it's first real 4x4 jaunt over to Facing Island near Gladstone ... scratched up nicely now - sighs ... that's what it's for ey, a good cut & polish will help.
Had to do a 9klm walk when popped rear driver side wheel in air over small sand hump after missing ruts backing off sand dune. 3 wheels on deck yet only ones driving were one in air & the opposite front which promptly dug itself into sand hole. Rear LSD not worth a pinch of shyte with one wheel off ground - I believe diff lockers would be the only saviour for that situation.
Faults so far :-
1. annoying squeek which keeps recurring somewhere in front
2. Front passgr speaker not working ... just stopped out of blue.
3. drvrs seat belt been reluctant to retract since new.
4. LSD is definitely limited.
5. side steps too low/not enough clearance height (now remedied with suspension upgrade.

Prior to August & a trip to Stanage Bay had 50ml suspension lift with Blue Max gear supplied by Brisbane Springs Northgate. Also had PolyAir Air Bags fitted total cost $2100. Cost for lift kit alone locally $2100 so got $600 worth of air bags for same price. Ride is a little rougher but it was worth it.

Towed boat into Stanage since 2007 with old & new Navaras ... hardly got a stone chip in paint until this year with suspension upgrade ... lifted mud flaps higher with return lighter load & peppered both sides .....

All in all no major problems .. touch wood ... stand by belief that Toyotas are way overpriced for poverty packs & I hope Nissan doesn't go the same way.

Checked ARB Air Lockers & they don't make one for front diff. Newer type called Lokka make one for front diff but back one isn't available on the website .. unless they are out of stock?

Cheers gnads

Warranty work so far: leaking oil leal on trqnsfer case. Broken wheel stud on drivers front. Other then thaat all good. Hope it stays all good. As for faults i would say the same as posted above to do with a squeak in the front. Annoying the heck outa me. Sounds like passenger side. Gota try and fix it.

bit of a thread revival..
took the d40 in for it's first service which is just a general checkup, nearest dealer is a 45 min drive away, car drove perfectly all the way there as you'd expect.
picked it up afterwards and it was lacking power and not boosting properly, seemed to be a bit noiser and running rough too.
took it back, had 2 different mechanics look at it, put the diagnostic on it and nothing come up, a bit of tinkering and he thinks there's a problem with the turbo.
booked in next thursday for diagnostics, currently fighting for a loan car..
car has done just over 2000km.

Latest posts

Back