Whats up new guy here

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbowie

Reaction score
Hey how are you guys, Just joined up and may hopefully find some answers to some issues I have with my Black 2007 D40 2.5L Manual.

I bought the car new it now has 95000km's

Turbo failed somewhat at 30,000km took 50,000km of fighting to get a new turbo. Front shock absorbers failed only highway use.

Now two issues that have been going for about 20,000km is the 4wd light continues to come on along with the 4WD LO diagram, Nissan have thrown there hands up and want to send the car to an Auto Elec. And when I leave the car I get a very strong gearbox oil smell inside the car. Boot around gearstick got restuck but this didn't help.

I'll do some searching on here to hopefully find some answers or if you guys have any ideas that would be great.

Scott

Welcome aboard!

Not good to hear about the problems, tell us a little more detail about the vehicle.

Have you driven it through water deep enough to reach the side steps, or ankle-deep (or deeper) water at speed (over 20km/h) ? This might cause water to get in and cause issues.

Have you towed anything heavy with it, does it have a bullbar+winch, have you placed heavy loads (200Kg+) in the tub?

Welcome aboard!

Not good to hear about the problems, tell us a little more detail about the vehicle.

Have you driven it through water deep enough to reach the side steps, or ankle-deep (or deeper) water at speed (over 20km/h) ? This might cause water to get in and cause issues.

Have you towed anything heavy with it, does it have a bullbar+winch, have you placed heavy loads (200Kg+) in the tub?

Hey yeah it has a few liitle issues but I like the car so really want to get them sorted hopefully before the warranty finishes

95,000km all Hwy Km's spent about 400km on dirt roads out in the Northern Territory when the car had 30,000km on it (The same time the Turbo failed). Never done any sort of 4wdriving never been through river crossings I guess I have been stuck in the odd storm where water on the road has come up over the bonnet when hit at around 80km.

I do tow my malibu boat 2200kg with it but that would only be probably a dozen times in its life maybe all up 2000km towing the boat. No winch or bullbar fitted, and no nothing heavy goes in the tray only used for the odd wakeboard or swag!

I use it as a car, only engaging 4WD to pull the boat out of a boat ramp. Car has always been serviced by Nissan Dealers.

Thanks in advance
Scott

I think I might have your answers and neither are related to what you've done with the car.

1) 4WD light is reported to be a faulty switch, I am not sure where that switch is. If you're inclined to, get under it and re-seat all of the plugs and wires around the gearbox and check the transfer case as well.

2) The oil smell - inside the engine bay, near the cabin air intake, is a pipe that is used to let the engine/gearbox breathe. If this is too close to the intake, you'll get that smell. Move the pipe away, and problem is solved. That's the usual suspect, anyway.

I think I might have your answers and neither are related to what you've done with the car.

1) 4WD light is reported to be a faulty switch, I am not sure where that switch is. If you're inclined to, get under it and re-seat all of the plugs and wires around the gearbox and check the transfer case as well.

2) The oil smell - inside the engine bay, near the cabin air intake, is a pipe that is used to let the engine/gearbox breathe. If this is too close to the intake, you'll get that smell. Move the pipe away, and problem is solved. That's the usual suspect, anyway.

Excellent Thanks for the ideas. It had the 4wd detection switch/sensor replaced on Wednesday after code 13587 was logged it didn't fix the issue. I will climb underneath and have a look and see if I can find anything.

I'll have a look at the location of the breather hose and let you know what I find.

Thanks
Scott

I have had a bit of a look around the engine bay and can't seem to locate these breather hoses. Is the cabin intake you refer to the grill above the firewall on the drivers side? If you could give me and idea of where to look for the breather hoses that would be great.

Thanks Scott

Hi There mate, great to have you on board. Can't help with any of your issues but I will now keep my eyes open for any similar issues that I have with my D40.

Hope it all works out for you in the end

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum.

I don't think that problem has been posted on the forum but a good search may turn something up.

Water in the transfer case? My d40 has just been to a main dealer because th... - JustAnswer

Maybe you are smelling transfer case oil?

Interesting, I just climbed out from under my navara, Oil everywhere around the seal on the front of the transfer case this oil has sprayed all over the fuel tank, diff and up between the heat shields and the body. Funny it was in at Nissan last week and they were adament there were no oil leaks. Would transfer case oil smell like gearbox oil? If so hopefully I have found the issue.

Sorry I have been away from the forums, just catching up reading, and am up to here!

The transfer case in both petrol and diesel powered D40s use the "Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid D or equivalent*4" (from the manual).

The subnote reads:
"*4: Contact a Nissan dealership for more information regarding suitable fluids, including recommended brand(s) of DEXRONTM III/MERCON (TM) Automatic Transmission Fluid."

(slightly edited for readability)

Unfortunately no.

Manual gearbox: API GL-4, Viscosity SAE 75W-85
Auto gearbox: Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J*5

And note 5 is one that I've had a beef about before, here it is again:

*5: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J will cause deterioration in driveability
and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the warranty.

It's carefully worded. If they find any oil other than specified, the warranty on the auto box is forfeit. I do understand why, I also understand that their "genuine" oil is possibly the same stuff I'd pay half price for at Supercheap - but because I've no guarantee as to which oil it is I'm guessing and I'm risking my warranty by trying.

So, the gearbox oil isn't identical, but it's going to be very close. One is ATF Matic Fluid D, the other ATF Matic Fluid J - no idea about the difference, except that Fluid D is Dexron III (fairly standard, it's what I had in my Jag's gearbox).

They ought to stink just as bad as each other, too.

Hi Guys,

Quick update the Navara has been back at the dealer for over a week now.

4wd light is meant to be fixed I think all sensors/switches ended up being replaced on the transfer case. I will find out exactly to aid anyone else who has this issue.

Gearbox oil smell they reckon was getting into the cabin via a torn rubber boot around the gear stick ontop of the gearbox. That has been replaced.

And the Oil leak at the front seal of the transfer case has not been fixed yet as the mechanic reckons it was him being messy when he replaced the switches??? I disagreed!! 2 mechanics the service advisor and myself had a scrum under the car whilst it was on the hoist. The seal is supposed to be getting replaced tomorrow only 8 days without my car............

Latest posts

Back