Where to put clear fuel lines/ air in system.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocknral

Reaction score
Hi to all from this first timer. Well for the first time in 5 years the old '04 Navy (d22/ZD30) is playing up. First question, when fitting clear fuel hose to detect air, do I have to replace all of them in the engine bay or just the return line from the injector pump? The reason I ask this is because, (and I will try to give the readers digest version)- 1 week ago I was VERY low on fuel, so put in 20L out of clean drum. Then drove 5 k and engine light came on and imediatley lack of power. After that always comes on after 20 sec after starting. Got the fault code, 0505,(no problems detected)???? It was due for service (180k) so replaced fuel filter. Always been a real bugger to pump up, but got there eventually after 40 min. No joy, light still comes on. Checked faults again,code 0707 comes up, (injector timing)??? What the??? Checked and cleaned up earths. There were a few suspect, but still we have the light and immediate power drop. So- I am thinking there must be air in system originally from low fuel. When I now pump the primer it takes 5-6 pumps to get firm. I can still work it, but it sounds- Squishy??, gurgles?, sorry about the overly technical terms :) Is this normal? Hence my wanting to put the clear hoses on. Any thoughts would be welcome.

G'day & welcome. Just run the clear from the primer pump to the solid line then look for bubbles. Also, oull the filter and refit it - sometimes they don't seal too good.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, will redo filter. So will replace both hoses to/from primer pump. Can anyone try their primer pump and see how many pumps till firm, and is it then rock hard or just firm and squishy like mine? Cheers

After two pumps my primer is quite hard, third pump feels like I'll damage it if I push it more if you understand what I mean, like I'd really have to force it.
If you do a filter re assemble make sure any o rings, seals, threads etc get a nice smear of grease so they don't bunch, pinch or distort when assembling.

Thanks Fourocker. That's interesting mine takes 6 and still not real hard, and mine is a real bugger to pump up the fuel after the filter change. Takes an age. Think I might redo the filter as already advised and this time use the grease on the o rings. Will get clear hose tomorrow and do it all again. But somehow I get the feeling the problem is in the tank, maybe a split hose in the pick up. Think I will be back to ask for a few tips on removing the tank as I cannot see how I can get to it without taking it right out. (twincab, tank sits under rear seat). Thanks fellas, any other ideas, throw 'em my way.

Last edited:
So I was looking thru this old thread that I started 9 years ago no less and never posted the answer to this problem ( apologies).
It turned out to be the dreaded air leak around the filter O ring. Think I got air in lines to begin with because of low fuel in tank and I stuffed up the filter replacement. Remember everyone, grease those seals on the fuel filter.

Latest posts

Back