winch control box location

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben85

Reaction score
where have you guys mounted your winch control boxes?
ontop of the bullbar like standard, behind bullbar, engine bay?

Mine's tucked up underneath, but reachable with the control cable. That's important - for two of the times I've needed to use it, I've needed to be in the driver's seat, so I ran the control cable up, across the bonnet and into the cabin. It's out of sight so it's unnoticed, removing the "oooh I'm gonna fiddle with that!" factor. I added a 500A switch under the bonnet so I can turn it off, just in case someone thought "well, it's gotta have a control box ... I'll hook up the winch cable to the towball and use this here paperclip ...."

Mine is on the side of my bull bar behind the drivers side lower driving light, I plan on relocating it into the engine bay soon and fitting an in cab switch. That way it is a bit more protected from water and mud and stuff. Mine came with an inline isolation switch so I can make sure no one f*^$s with it.

Got mine mounted on the back of the winch behind the bullbar in front of the a/c condensor. There's plenty of room to get the controller plug into it, but you can't access it without opening the bonnet, well unless you pull the bash plate off the bottom of the bar, lol. I have an xrox bar too btw and a ridge ryder 12000lb winch

Mine squezzed in under the bullbar, mounted on top of the winch itself (like how the winch is always photgraphed unfitted) It was very tight - and even shows a crease line a bit in the plastic between the grill and the bullbar itself (you'll notice its not ontop like most from my signature pic - so basically just behind the number plate). Still enough room to reach in and rotate the in/out handle and plug in the wired remote. However i usually use the wireless jobbie.

Like that its out of the way and not taking up space in the engine bay - tight enough under there with a heat exchanger/pump and dual battery isolator fitted! Bit more stealth too - especially now that i've fitted dyneema rope and black hawse.

Probably a bit lower than ideal though - however its been dunked countless times and still works fine (Ironman, 3yr old)

Last edited:
hey tim, how have u found the wireless controller?

id hate to have it malfunction and just keep winching thats all.

behind the bullbar sounds fairly easy, just a bit concerned about it not being overly high and getting wet through water crossings, maybe its not that big of a deal if youve had yours 3 years.

Hey Ben,

Yeah - like you say, so far so good. The Ironman control box was fairly well sealed - and they offered a comprehensive 3 yr warranty, so assumed they were pretty comfortable with it getting wet every now and then.

I have a cut off switch under the bonnet like old Tony, so if anything was to get out of control, I could cut power through this. I have a wired remote in the car too -just incase. And carry a spare set of fresh batteries for the remote too (they're an odd size, unlikley available from your woop woop servo)

Oh, another tip - I have 2 recovery points (outback Ideas branded) fitted on the front, so I carry an equaliser strap rolled up and jammed in the engine bay, near the air box (petrol V6) so its easy to get to - otherwise i'd tend not to use it....

I put a TG Thompson Winch Solenoid on the radiator support panel near the air box. Near rear of passenger headlight. Put a 25mm hole in unused part of air box and put winch cotntrol plug there right near the soliniod. I have to open bonnet to plug winch control in, also have an isolator cable so have to open bonnet anyway.

I have this screw type isolator that you must turn clockwise before the solonoid gets power.The solonoid is mounted beside the power steering resevoir,
P3150788.jpg

I have a on-off switch and a momentary switch on the dash,left side of the steering wheel.
The on-off switch mustt be on for the momentary to work.
P3150785.jpg

On the bar i have in-out momentary switches,the switch closest to the grille is in,the other out.I also have a remote control.
P3150786.jpg

The time has come to mount my control box. It only has shortish cables to go to the motor, so i was thinking of mounting it somewhere between bar and vehicle. Either on the backside of the bar or the radiator support in the middle?

Any opinions from D22 owners?

i ended up mounting mine on the bullbar infront of the grill like many others do.

I am going to run the small wires/switch and plug into the cab and mount in dash.
I have made longer cable and will mount solenoid pack inside engine bay as close to the battery as I can.
I will take great pleasure in smashing the useless plastic control box that is far to big to mount anywhere practical.
That's the plan anyway.

i Thought of that but then i thought bugger it, i'll spary the connections to protect them, and mount the box somehwere so i can use the remote, as i may not always be in the vehicle to use it, nor for that matter with another person.

i ended up mounting mine on the bullbar infront of the grill like many others do.

Me too. I have been rooting around looking at where to put it and the last thing I want to do at the most inconvenient time is try to squeeze my hand in or behind something when the control box will probably be covered in shyte.

On top of the bar it goes.

i havent had any dramas with it there, been on for about 9 months now.

its awkward enough getting a hand in to engage the gearbox through the nissan bar.
the wireless remote is good ;)

Latest posts

Back