Yd25 2.5", 2.75 or 3" exhast?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmac

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you lads and girls have hit the search in here and have google the exact thing what the title sez and have stalked every d22 YouTube video, read every thread and comment and still finish up and thought " I still don't F$#& know what to get!"
I know it's been spoken about over and over but I would really like some confirmation on "why" you chose that exhaust and talk about some experiences and advice.
I, myself am looking into a 2.5" turbo back with muffler, no cat set up due to the simplicity of installation and potentially less rattles but I keep getting people say no don't get a 3", I ask why and generally I get the answer "because it's better". How is it better?
My ute is a 2010 model and I do intend to get a chip too at some stage, what's the way to go?
-with out chip, exhaust type?
-with a chip, exhaust type?

I dont own a D22, but I have alot of understanding of engines from an engineering perspective.

Essentially, you want the least amount of exhaust restriction if possible, especially on a turbo charged engine.

3" is a good compromised between volume and noise (you can still put 3" mufflers in, and not drop flow that much). TBH - I wouldnt go any smaller.

I'll get some popcorn ready, but seriously the dump pipe is the main restriction it all comes down to what fits the best. Opinions vary and I think there is no correct answer. I spoke to a few tuners before I did mine, they all had best results from the Beaudesert 2.75 so I ended up with that. The price is dearer but that is reflected in the build quality.

I'm sure many of you lads and girls have hit the search in here and have google the exact thing what the title sez and have stalked every d22 YouTube video, read every thread and comment and still finish up and thought " I still don't F$#& know what to get!"
I know it's been spoken about over and over but I would really like some confirmation on "why" you chose that exhaust and talk about some experiences and advice.
I, myself am looking into a 2.5" turbo back with muffler, no cat set up due to the simplicity of installation and potentially less rattles but I keep getting people say no don't get a 3", I ask why and generally I get the answer "because it's better". How is it better?
My ute is a 2010 model and I do intend to get a chip too at some stage, what's the way to go?
-with out chip, exhaust type?
-with a chip, exhaust type?

It doesn't matter what size. 3" may or may not have fitment issues and be a touch louder. 2.5" less likely to have fitment issues and might be a tad quieter.
2.75 is a happy medium. There is an exhaust shop in Beaudesert QLD that apparently does the best exhausts in the universe.

Happy john got a fair bit of poke out of his d22 with his pipes and chip...totally up to your budget really...a 3' from a local ebay seller can be pretty cheap but it will reflect that in the quality.probs wont go any worse that a 2.75 inch tho......so back to the budget question i guess

So in reality having the same set up (cat and muff) in different diameters pipes (2.5-3") won't have any significant benefits between the 3, only a little louder if larger mostly.
Makes and styles come down to personal pref and budget.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In regards of a chip set up is there actual noticeable performance gains in exhaust diameters? I'm talking over the counter chips not the custom tune chips or remaps

2013 Nav D22.( Egr Blank & Catch Can)
Recently Fitted full 3Inch System. Dump pipe to Tail. High Flow 100 cell Cat and 1 Free Flow Muffler. Definitely a much beter car to drive. A lil Louder. Slight improvement in Econ on highway (750+klm). I find it pulls a lot harder with less throttle. Only cost $840 Fitted Locally S/E Melb.

FWIW

RustyNav and I have very similar D22's(EGR blank, Aftermarket intercooler, Manual Boost controller, Fuel Rail mod and Chip It chips) and I recently went and got mine custom tuned on the same dyno he did. His ute has a 2.75 Beaudesert system I believe and mine has a 3 inch custom turbo back system with hi flo cat and exhaust.

Mine managed 98kw at the rear wheels and his did 105kw. Is that extra 7kw all in the exhaust difference? Buggered if I know...I'm just pissed I didn't crack the 100kw mark.

If someone wants to buy me a beaudesert exhaust i'll happily go back to the dyno and see if it increases the power over my 3inch lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back