zd30 Belt Noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check the pulley bearing and pivot points. common enough for bearing to go.
also while belt is off check alternator clutch is ok. they tend to go to and are expensive little buggers.

Ok cheers - i'll have to do a bit of research to learn how to check that stuff. It wasn't making any noise until after the mechanics pulled the front of the engine off and put it back on - and if these guys ever looked up the manufacturers specs for anything then im the queen of england, im thinking its something not installed 100% correct.

Yeah i probably will. Was going to on friday arvo then the noise went down a bit and i got sidetracked.

Been spraying WD40 on the belt shuts it up for about 10km, then it comes back.

Its louder when the belt is cold then goes away a bit when warm, which is like 20-30minutes of driving this time of year.

Its not a shrieking noise its just a very loud SHH SHH SHH SHH sort of thing if that gives anyone any idea..

Cheers.

On the tensioners - are they just a spring inside a fancy housing - or are they a dampener?

Im thinking about buying a quality or even genuine belt, and either a cheap tensioner or just the pulley depending on what you guys reckon. Both have done 220k but look in good condition.

Might get the mechanic to look at it before i do anything though so i have some recourse. I just hate mechanics and cant really afford to have my car there for a day or three while they sit around with their thumbs up their arse.

i would buy that belt and tensioner unit you posted from Ebay , thats a good price and i would think its time you did fit a new belt and pulley etc seeing you have a new timing chain etc etc fitted. don,t make as habit of spraying stuff like wd-40 on rubber belts etc as it does have oil in it which rots rubber.

No i havnt yet. It goes quiet as soon as i spray some shit on the belt everytime though. Just picked up a Dayco belt on my way home - $85. I passed on the Dayco tensioner at 300 clams though.
Bit scared of taking the belt off - looks very tight in there and cant see the hex head on the tensioner with the naked eye. Any tips or tricks while i build up some courage over a couple beers? I believe a long breaker bar is needed...?
Might even swing past the mechanics with the belt during the week and see if they can do it while im there.

They didnt change the chain or anything else behind the timing case by the way. They reckoned it was all good in there. Still cost me 3k.

Dayco parts are normaly alot cheaper than that . if its 300 bucks for this tension unit , how much would it cost at Nissan. hate to think.

Yeah i checked ebay after i posted that - Dayco belt and tensioner - $189 Doh! Might take the belt back and press the button on it.

Definately replace with genuine items. Been there done that on the cheap ones and they are absolute rubbish! Get what you pay for.

I think I paid 380 for genuine Nissan tensioner and belt on eBay. Put it on myself, only an hours job but I have done the belt 3 times. Used two dayco belts, both became noisy after about 10,000kms, tensioner had to be replaced on Moreton island, was an ebay special, lasted about 20,000 then lost all its tension. Just letting you know my experiences. You can't beat Japanese.

Matt

Bit scared of taking the belt off - looks very tight in there and cant see the hex head on the tensioner with the naked eye. Any tips or tricks while i build up some courage over a couple beers? I believe a long breaker bar is needed...?

They didnt change the chain or anything else behind the timing case by the way. They reckoned it was all good in there. Still cost me 3k.

need to take the bash plate off and get at it from underneath with long bar. can't remember what i used (long time ago). its takes a bit of omph to move it.

as long as they didn't take any gears off it should be good.

I think I paid 380 for genuine Nissan tensioner and belt on eBay. Put it on myself, only an hours job but I have done the belt 3 times. Used two dayco belts, both became noisy after about 10,000kms, tensioner had to be replaced on Moreton island, was an ebay special, lasted about 20,000 then lost all its tension. Just letting you know my experiences. You can't beat Japanese.

Matt

Cheers mate, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I was a bit leery of $35 tensioner when genuine is $300.
Were the dayco belts the fancy "w" profile? I ended up chucking mine on its perfectly quiet. Will see how it goes though.

Matt

need to take the bash plate off and get at it from underneath with long bar. can't remember what i used (long time ago). its takes a bit of omph to move it.

as long as they didn't take any gears off it should be good.

Cheers mate. All done! Comes off easier than it goes on!

Last edited:
Back