ZD30 hand grenade??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopz

Reaction score
So I recently bought my 2005 D22 STR. I bought it as my work vehicle as I'm starting my own business soon. However after reading some posts on this site I've noticed that the zd30 has a bad rap. I thought that these engines were only a problem in the patrols, now I'm a little worried.

Is there anything I should watch for as a warning sign of any likely problems? I plan on changing oil and filter every 5000k's, but is there any mods worth doing to avoid any problems with the turbo, etc. I'm a little disheartened to say the least as I knew nothing about issues of the 3lt in the Navara.

they are basically the same as the patrol motor but diffeent turbo, ecu and turbo control system. the early ones suffered the same fate as the patrols. the later ones such as yours don't suffer the same problems.
most of the patrol problems are caused by the crappy turbo control setup.

things to help reliability is to clean and keep clean the inlet manifold. eg blocking egr and fitting catch can.
things like replacing fuel filters and using good fuel help a lot. make sure its not sucking air into the fuel. this all helps stops the pump from wearing out. the pumps are not cheap to replace.

i would check turbo is ok. people often will not let the turbo cool down before switching engine off, so they tend to wear out quickly.

2005 I wouldn't worry about.

Maintain it. Fit a catch can etc and drive it.

You could of bought a older shape Hilux with the 1KZTE in it. They crack heads and I have heard of many having overheating problems.

You could of bought a Ford Courier or Mazda Bravo. Gutless engine, gearbox's are pissweak and usually need a rebuild at 150,000.

The list goes on.

All cars have there good points and bad points.

My D22 has served me well. Does around 140km's a day and gets better with the more km's it gets.

don't panic as dave said m8 the more you look at any make or model you will find some issues. i don't know of any vehicle that doesn't have the odd one that has probs.
my previous navara was a 06 d22 and did 350,000km with no problems other than a couple of minor things that were easily fixed. if you keep the oil changes and new filters every 10k she should be fine. it is a good idea to fit a turbo timer or let it idle down before shutting it off. the egr mod is also well worth the half hour it takes to do.
all the best. nath.

Latest posts

Back